Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What would you do - Mike Trout?! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224383)

djsatu 06-22-2016 10:00 PM

What would you do - Mike Trout?!

So im the proud owner of an Mike Trout 2009 BC X-fractor RC Auto /225 BGS 9.5/10. Now I know his cards are still highly sought after, and some are very costly. That being said, he is on a bad Angels team, and I don't know if his cards will go up anymore. Im really contemplating trying to trade for 1-2 nice comparable vintage cards. I know the card I have is really rare. What would you do?? Also if you are interested in the card, and have some nice stuff you would part with, please hit me up :D

http://i65.tinypic.com/10xblmh.jpg

Rich Klein 06-23-2016 06:27 AM

You answered your own question, while Mr. Trout appears to be the real deal now and in the future, we won't know the answer for a few years

Take your profit and go into Vintage

packs 06-23-2016 07:56 AM

This will become a staple card but I don't know how much more room it really has to grow since it's already at an absurd price point and he's barely into his career.

Peter_Spaeth 06-23-2016 09:38 AM

His power seems to have fallen off so far this year, OPS down 60 points. Who knows, you can never be sure with young players.

bn2cardz 06-23-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsatu (Post 1553888)
...What would you do?? Also if you are interested in the card, and have some nice stuff you would part with, please hit me up :D

http://i65.tinypic.com/10xblmh.jpg

What would I do? I would post this in the BST. :cool:

Neal 06-23-2016 02:10 PM

what do these go for?

the 'stache 06-23-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1554080)
what do these go for?

Last couple that have sold brought in about $3,700.00.

I'm constantly debating what I want to do with my Trout. It's just a base chrome auto; I'd need to get it graded, of course, but it should being a 9 at the very least, maybe a 9.5 if the surface gets a 9 grade. That would bring in $1,200 +.

Peter_Spaeth 06-23-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1554201)
Last couple that have sold brought in about $3,700.00.

I'm constantly debating what I want to do with my Trout. It's just a base chrome auto; I'd need to get it graded, of course, but it should being a 9 at the very least, maybe a 9.5 if the surface gets a 9 grade. That would bring in $1,200 +.

Get rid of the damn shiny thing LOL.

bravos4evr 06-24-2016 01:19 PM

sell it fast and buy yourself some fancy vintage cards you will love, cherish and have more of a sure return on investment.

brob28 06-25-2016 03:23 PM

Sell baby sell!!

Econteachert205 06-26-2016 11:55 AM

Sell it

JustinD 06-26-2016 02:30 PM

Anything modern is bound to boom and bust with very few exceptions. Modern collectors have a very short memory.

I wish I would have learned that lesson years ago.

Trout interest like they all have done, will boom at his retirement and HOF election. If he keeps getting older and the stats show it, you risk those booms being less than the current market.

Sell it and leave it in someone else's worry.

djsatu 06-26-2016 05:08 PM

Thanks guys I have tried to sell it, with little luck. Hopefully these last 2 games are a positive sign of things to come, and interest will pick up.

bbcard1 06-29-2016 12:34 PM

If you could get close to four grand in trade, that's too tempting to pass on. That said, I think Trout and Kershaw are pretty solid bets.

The thing that always worries me is that I have had autographs disappear from Topps cards (it was only a Rafael Furcal, so arguably no big deal). When I pulled it it was in nice blue sharpie. Stored it nicely but it still faded into oblivion.

the 'stache 07-03-2016 05:44 PM

Trout is absolutely on fire. 20 hits in his last nine games including five doubles and three home runs. He's running again, too. 13 steals in 14 tries.

Up to .325 with 17 HR and a 1.002 OPS. So much for his power declining. :p

4815162342 07-05-2016 08:43 AM

You need to consign that shininess to one of the two big eBay sellers as fast as humanly possible.

Neal 07-05-2016 11:21 AM

That is one of a small handful of modern cards that I would like to own. That said, would I rather have that or, among others, a 33 Goudey Ruth in VG range, a NM Mantle or two, or an Aaron RC ..... the question to ask yourself may get easier.

There is no right or wrong answer, but maybe selling the Trout now and restocking a few years from now may be a solution. I think the gamble would lean in your favor.

In any event, good luck with your decision and the cards that may become part of your colllection

packs 07-05-2016 12:18 PM

Does the 2001 Bowman Pujols auto still go for huge cash? I don't see any recently sold on eBay. I'd use that card as the barometer. If it's still a $1,000 card I guess that would mean it neither went up or down in 15 years.

Rich Klein 07-06-2016 06:28 AM

It may expensive and an iconic card but I don't think the interest is what it was when Pujols was the best player in the game.

I think you would have a difficult time selling the card for full BV at this time

Rich

Exhibitman 07-06-2016 09:25 AM

If you aren't into it for real money and you like it, why not ride it out? I pulled this Jeter card from a pack and I am pleased that I kept it; when I think about a Jeter card to own, I realize I am done:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...size/Jeter.jpg

steve B 07-06-2016 10:59 AM

So true on that Jeter!

I have the 94 Signature rookies signed card I got from a pack, but that one you've shown is a nicer looking card.

Steve B

ls7plus 07-07-2016 04:12 PM

Trout is the closest thing I've seen to a young Mickey Mantle (power, speed, hitting for average, fielding and on-base-percentage) in 50+ years of waiting for the next one to come along (can you say Rick Reichardt, Bobby Murcer, Kirk Gibson--Sparky's words--and well, you get the idea). Mantle, at Trout's age, however, was winning the triple crown with a .353 BA, 52 HR, and 130 RBI, to go along with 112 walks (the walk total is the best I can remember, off the top of my head). And the Mick followed that up with .365, 34 HR and 146 walks--OBP's and OPS's off the charts. I don't see Trout approaching those heights, even making any adjustment for era that should be made. Even a year like Mantle's '61 campaign--.317, 54 HR, 128 RBI, 126 (?) walks is probably out of his reach (Mantle, by the way, was actually easily the best player not only in '61 over Roger Maris, but for a total of 10 seasons in the AL, per Bill James' win shares system). He also hit tape measure HR's to match McGwire's, but without the artificial additives.

Typically, the demand for the young phenoms is speculative and transient for a significant number of years, artificially inflating their true collector value early on--by "transient," I mean that it tends to move on to the next hotter than hot item. Trout is likely no exception to this phenomenon (pun intended).

The time to buy, if he continues to excel, will be when he inevitably enters his downhill slide in his mid-thirties. By then, his real status will have revealed itself, and the speculative and transient demand will have long since departed. An example--Frank Thomas' 1990 No-Name On Front rookie was priced around $1600 or more in the early to even mid '90's. By 2008 or so, when he was 40, a nice one could be had for less than $600. That was the time to buy. Following his rather recent election to the HOF on the first ballot, what I recall as being an 8.5 sold for just a bit under $3,000, although that price was probably inflated by the recent hullabaloo created by his election.

I too would sell now, put the proceeds into quality vintage items (NOT THE OVERPRICED, LOW TO MIDDLE GRADE MID-FIFTIES KEY ROOKIES! Choose rare and significant pre-war instead, an area where the market is currently much quieter). Chances are you will be able to get the Trout back later for less, perhaps a lot less.

However, Adam is also right--if you really like it, and are not primarily concerned with what the price of the card does, keep it. I have a few cards like that, but also consider my only recent foray (read in the last 12-15 years) into a current player/hot phenom's purchase one I greatly regret. That one was a red refractor of Brennan Boesch in 2010, when he was hitting over .320 in July of that year with 12 HR's, as memory serves. $229.00!!! Though only one of 25, I doubt even Boesch's immediate family would pay $10 for it now! Still have it, but its been kicked under a heavy chest surrounded by other items too troublesome to move. Out of sight, out of mind. Lot's of things can go wrong with young phenoms, even though Trout's track record does continue to be impressive--I definitely enjoy watching him, but still wouldn't consider trading anything of value in the vintage category for such a card.

Best of luck on your decision,

Larry

djsatu 07-07-2016 10:36 PM

Nice to see a mix bag of statements from fellow collectors. This is one of a few baseball cards that I have in my collection, and im happy to keep it for now, even though if the right offer came along I would sell and invest that money into vintage or 90's inserts which im buying a bunch of right now. Trout is the guy to have in modern baseball right now, and I hope the Angels at least try to build a solid winning team around him. Time will tell, but im really hoping he continues his hot play as of late because he really is the real deal.

chaddurbin 07-07-2016 11:14 PM

trout is a force of nature by himself stuck on a very bad team, he's suffering from lebron syndrome. you take what he does for granted year in and year out. slap any of his year on another sub-25 age hot prospect and the card would just explode (xander betts cards have doubled this year). my advice is to hope he does something good next week at the AS game and put a reasonable bin on it right away. that's his last exposure at the national stage for awhile. he's probably not even top 5 mvp with the way his team is playing.

i would trade down on the card. it's tough to trade $1 for a couple quarters a few dimes etc but i'd probably try to get a reg chrome gem and some other high end machado harper xander brady where i can flip fast to sell off 50% of the card while i still have a trout to play with.

djsatu 04-10-2017 09:02 PM

Looks like this card and many other of his 2009 RC's have gone up even more.

packs 04-11-2017 09:19 AM

I don't really understand the logic of the OP. Ted Williams played in one World Series and lost. His cards have not suffered at all for it.

7nohitter 04-13-2017 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1649874)
I don't really understand the logic of the OP. Ted Williams played in one World Series and lost. His cards have not suffered at all for it.

If only Ted could have held on. Who knows, maybe '67 and '75 would have ended differently.

Had he taken better care of himself he probably could have batted 5th or 6th on that 2004 Sox team. Way to not take one for the team, Ted.

clydepepper 04-13-2017 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1650430)
If only Ted could have held on. Who knows, maybe '67 and '75 would have ended differently.

Had he taken better care of himself he probably could have batted 5th or 6th on that 2004 Sox team. Way to not take one for the team, Ted.

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't Ted headless by 2004?

...or did we all forget how ridiculous that was?

Talk about taking one for the team!!

again...RIP Mr. Williams!

Neal 04-13-2017 06:29 PM

2009 Bowman Chrome Trout is on my very short list

RayBShotz 04-14-2017 06:13 AM

Shameless plug.
I have Trout RC's for sale on the BST Board.
Thanks in advance for looking.
RayB

WillBBC 04-17-2017 11:43 AM

I'd sell it, buy a base Trout Chrome autograph, use the balance to pick up some nice vintage and call it a day.