Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   SGC holders cracking (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=176908)

Bestdj777 10-07-2013 12:51 PM

SGC holders cracking

I'm not a graded card collector--not for graded cards or against them, just cannot justify the grading fees when the money could be spent on new cards. Anyway, I've picked up an assortment of graded cards over the years. I've never felt uncomfortable with throwing a PSA or BVG card in my briefcase. But, SGC's cases seem really flimsy. Anyone experience any issues with them cracking/destroying a card? If there is any issue, what do you do to protect them? I have a small safe, and large number of cards, so inevitably they will end up in stacks.

Wolfgang427 10-08-2013 05:26 PM

I actually like SGC holders better then PSA holders. I have dropped both over the years and the SGC's always held up fine no cracks, yet the PSA's I have cracked 3. The BGS holders I believe are nuke proof.... ;)

Bestdj777 10-08-2013 08:15 PM

Haha, yea, BVG did something right there. Thanks for the insight. I can travel a little easier now.

smtjoy 10-09-2013 01:44 PM

No issues with any of the big three standard slabs with cracking while traveling.

Bestdj777 10-09-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smtjoy (Post 1193243)
No issues with any of the big three standard slabs with cracking while traveling.

Thanks. The SGC slabs seem so flimsy. Glad to hear I have nothing to worry about.

pepis 10-09-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1192580)
I'm not a graded card collector--not for graded cards or against them, just cannot justify the grading fees when the money could be spent on new cards. Anyway, I've picked up an assortment of graded cards over the years. I've never felt uncomfortable with throwing a PSA or BVG card in my briefcase. But, SGC's cases seem really flimsy. Anyone experience any issues with them cracking/destroying a card? If there is any issue, what do you do to protect them? I have a small safe, and large number of cards, so inevitably they will end up in stacks.

Chris,
i'm a seller/collector, have been for many years
cards that i sale i put them in brief cases or boxes, but cards that i collect
i frame them for my personal enjoyment i even frame packs and i have frames
with just ungraded cards or just bvg cards or just sgc cards for example,
i feel if i just put them away in a box, safe, or whatever i'll be hoarding not collecting.

Bestdj777 10-10-2013 05:41 AM

I would love to see some of your frames if you have pictures? I have considered framing a handful of my favorites myself. My concern is that I live in an apartment complex, so often will occasionally have exterminates, maintenance men, etc. into my home. And, it is so open that we get lots of light which worries. So, I display my memorabilia but typically only keep out one card at a time.

glynparson 10-12-2013 05:46 PM

When mailing in padded envelopes

I have had several issues with SGC holders cracking while I have had I believe one or two PSA holder crack. I have sent far more PSA cards then SGC. The SGC holders are in my experience more susceptible to cracking and breaking. I too believe the BGS are near NUKE proof. I know use a stiffener when shipping cards. Of course I have not sold anything in a couple years.