Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Congratulations to the Brewers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260539)

pokerplyr80 10-01-2018 02:18 PM

Congratulations to the Brewers

Division champs, and the #1 seed in the NL. Peaking at the right time on an 8 game winning streak. Nice to see a small market team competing with the big boys.

Snapolit1 10-01-2018 03:37 PM

Def nice to see some fresh faces in the mix. Between the Patriots in football, Golden State and Cavs in BB, and the top ranked teams always making it to the finals in March Madness, seems like the winner of most things these days in largely pre-ordained before the competition even starts.

Of course you can always count on my Mets to collapse when picked to make the post season. Money in the bank on that one.

HRBAKER 10-01-2018 04:08 PM

Quite a run to the crown.
Congrats to all Brewers fans on the 1st Division title.

frankbmd 10-01-2018 05:43 PM

Brewer Fever

barrysloate 10-02-2018 03:35 AM

Hope Yelich wins the MVP. He had a second half for the ages, highlighted by the two cycles he hit for against the Reds.

KMayUSA6060 10-02-2018 11:44 AM

I'm hoping for an Indians/Brewers World Series so Bob Uecker can call a real Indians World Series game. ;)

quinnsryche 10-02-2018 02:43 PM

Congrats Brewers! I root for ANYONE playing the Cubs though. Go Rockies!

pokerplyr80 10-02-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1816860)
Hope Yelich wins the MVP. He had a second half for the ages, highlighted by the two cycles he hit for against the Reds.

I think it's basically assumed he will win.

the 'stache 10-02-2018 05:35 PM

Thanks all. I nearly lost it yesterday when we beat the Cubs. Been on cloud nine since.

By the way, it’s not our first division title. Not even in the NL. We won 96 games in 2011, and won the Central, but lost in the NLCS to the eventual World Champion Cardinals.

Then, we won it back in 1981 and 1982 back in the American League.

It would be so nice to finally win it all, but I think this team is ahead of where we expected to be. We really need a healthy Jimmy Nelson, and another top line starter, to make a serious deep run in the playoffs. Gio and Wade have done yeoman service since coming to Milwaukee, but they wouldn’t match up well against a team like the Astros.

Still, miracles can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 'stache 10-02-2018 05:47 PM

As for Yelich, he’s pretty much a lock for MVP. If he doesn’t win, a major investigation should be launched. His second half was ridiculous, but his September/October is right up there with Yaz’s last few weeks of 1967.

In 27 games from 9/1 to 10/1, in 118 PAs, he scored 24 runs, had 6 doubles, 2 triples, 10 home runs, 34 RBI, stole 7 bases in 8 tries, walked 24 times against 16 Ks, hit .370 and had an obscene slash line of .508 OBP/.805 SLG/1.313 OPS.

In 65 second half games, 294 PAs, he scored 58 runs, had 18 doubles, 5 triples, 25 home runs, 67 RBI, 35 BB and 52 KS, 10/12 SB, hit .367, and slashed .449 OBP/.770 SLG/1.219 OPS.

And he was an All Star, so he had a good first half, too.

Who would possibly beat him? Báez? LOL, Yellich’s AVG is nearly higher than Baez’s OBP. Báez is great defensively, but Yelich’s defensive metrics are above average. The guy’s won a Gold Glove before.

Winning a batting title, missing a Triple Crown by 2 HR and 1 RBI, when it hasn’t happened in the NL since 1937, OPSing 1.000 for the season, and having an historic close to the season pretty much guaranteed he wins it.

ramram 10-05-2018 11:35 AM

I'm a KC guy so I'm all over the Brewers. Small market team just like KC and they've picked up several of our players from our championship team (Cain, Moose, Kratz).

Rob M

1952boyntoncollector 10-05-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1817024)
As for Yelich, he’s pretty much a lock for MVP. If he doesn’t win, a major investigation should be launched. His second half was ridiculous, but his September/October is right up there with Yaz’s last few weeks of 1967.

In 27 games from 9/1 to 10/1, in 118 PAs, he scored 24 runs, had 6 doubles, 2 triples, 10 home runs, 34 RBI, stole 7 bases in 8 tries, walked 24 times against 16 Ks, hit .370 and had an obscene slash line of .508 OBP/.805 SLG/1.313 OPS.

In 65 second half games, 294 PAs, he scored 58 runs, had 18 doubles, 5 triples, 25 home runs, 67 RBI, 35 BB and 52 KS, 10/12 SB, hit .367, and slashed .449 OBP/.770 SLG/1.219 OPS.

And he was an All Star, so he had a good first half, too.

Who would possibly beat him? Báez? LOL, Yellich’s AVG is nearly higher than Baez’s OBP. Báez is great defensively, but Yelich’s defensive metrics are above average. The guy’s won a Gold Glove before.

Winning a batting title, missing a Triple Crown by 2 HR and 1 RBI, when it hasn’t happened in the NL since 1937, OPSing 1.000 for the season, and having an historic close to the season pretty much guaranteed he wins it.

whats amazing is every year he has back issues...including this year.. and fights through.....

I wonder if he had any 'homers' this year that got put to doubles after replay

pokerplyr80 10-05-2018 10:21 PM

First two games have been impressive, especially the bullpen. And Yelich is playing like an MVP. At this point they look like the favorite to make it to the world series from the NL to me.

1952boyntoncollector 10-05-2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1817701)
First two games have been impressive, especially the bullpen. And Yelich is playing like an MVP. At this point they look like the favorite to make it to the world series from the NL to me.

nah dodgers look like clear favorite

pokerplyr80 10-06-2018 10:16 AM

Hopefully we will get a chance to find out in a few days. Anyone planning to go to an NLCS game in LA?

pokerplyr80 10-07-2018 10:00 PM

11 straight wins, home field and at least 1 extra day of rest. I like the Brewers chances in the next series. Even if they don't pull it off it's great to see them in the mix.

1952boyntoncollector 10-08-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1818094)
11 straight wins, home field and at least 1 extra day of rest. I like the Brewers chances in the next series. Even if they don't pull it off it's great to see them in the mix.

i think if they dont pull it off, it will hurt brewer fans even more because how can their chances be any better.... too bad dodgers will teach them a lesson

the 'stache 10-08-2018 06:39 PM

We're used to disappointment. We'll survive.

And the nucleus of this team will be together a while. Plus, next year we'll have a healthy Jimmy Nelson (didn't have him at all this year), and Keston Hiura will be up to play second. Cain, Hiura, Yelich makes for a really fantastic 1-2-3.

1952boyntoncollector 10-09-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1818310)
We're used to disappointment. We'll survive.

And the nucleus of this team will be together a while. Plus, next year we'll have a healthy Jimmy Nelson (didn't have him at all this year), and Keston Hiura will be up to play second. Cain, Hiura, Yelich makes for a really fantastic 1-2-3.

Nelson had one good end to end year thus far....same with robbie ray.......they still will need a SP... at least for stretch run like Grienke and CC..

Guerra was thought to be a front line starter only a year ago....it also doesnt appear that zach davies will be a reliable number 3 and looks to be a number 4-5-gone things change fast..

Lorewalker 10-09-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1818094)

Pulling for Dodgers but they will have their work cut out for them if they do not play cohesive ball. I think they beat the Brewers 4 out of 7 in the regular season and in one of those games they scored 21 runs. Should be good baseball regardless.

Peter_Spaeth 10-09-2018 12:08 PM

Speaking of a guy who went the opposite direction of Yelich, and carried it right through the playoffs, what the hell happened to jose Ramirez.

pokerplyr80 10-14-2018 03:12 PM

Hopefully it's a good series. I don't understand puting Hader in the game in the 5th with a 5 run lead. Could have used him for game 2. Oh well. That decision might prove costly.

KCRfan1 10-14-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1818459)
Speaking of a guy who went the opposite direction of Yelich, and carried it right through the playoffs, what the hell happened to jose Ramirez.

He fell in love with the home run.

Lorewalker 10-16-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1819707)
Hopefully it's a good series. I don't understand puting Hader in the game in the 5th with a 5 run lead. Could have used him for game 2. Oh well. That decision might prove costly.

Guess not as it is clear which Dodgers team has showed up so far. However, according to Kike Hernandez, it is apparently the fan's (in attendance) fault just as much as the Dodgers' that they lost 4-0 yesterday. :confused:

frankbmd 10-16-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 1820199)
Guess not as it is clear which Dodgers team has showed up so far. However, according to Kike Hernandez, it is apparently the fan's (in attendance) fault just as much as the Dodgers' that they lost 4-0 yesterday. :confused:

Kike will have me to blame tomorrow. I’ll be there tonight. Go Brewers.

pokerplyr80 10-16-2018 04:08 PM

Enjoy the game Frank. Go Brewers!

KCRfan1 10-16-2018 05:35 PM

Crew!

Peter_Spaeth 10-17-2018 08:08 AM

Frank jinxed them by attending. But he got to see a hell of a game.

Griffins 10-17-2018 10:45 AM

I"m ready to send Frank my tickets to todays game if he's truly a jinx!
Won't be sad to see Machado leave town though, and get Seagar back next year. That play was bush league. Several of them were actually.

Lorewalker 10-17-2018 11:32 AM

It would be great to see some offense by the Dodgers. They did it during the year against the Brewers. It was a great game but not sure if that was great pitching or a result of the Dodgers' bats being quiet.

Agree about Machado...too bad. There is a lot riding on Kershaw today.

chaddurbin 10-17-2018 01:32 PM

didn't feel good about kershaw going into game 1, but feeling better about today's start. his stuff has really gone down this year, not sure if it's the injuries or just age. he's still getting used to the art of pitching to (soft) contact. some days he looks like maddux but other days it could be estaban loaiza.

watching both series it feels like the nl is the JV to the AL. don't think either team here has a chance against bos or houston. i love analytics, but dodgers is just making a mockery of it with the lineup shuffles, positioning, pitching matchups, launch angles/exit velocities. they don't want ground balls so they try to uppercut everything or ends up striking out. the small edges is great when it works out for your team, but i wouldn't call it a pleasant fan experience watching 5 hours of that.

edit: i loved the manny trade when it happened but yea i'll be glad to get seager back next year...unlike manny 1.0 this manny just doesn't feel like one of "us". good thing we got ss and 3b locked up so the fo won't have to think about bringing machado back next year.

1952boyntoncollector 10-17-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1820463)
didn't feel good about kershaw going into game 1, but feeling better about today's start. his stuff has really gone down this year, not sure if it's the injuries or just age. he's still getting used to the art of pitching to (soft) contact. some days he looks like maddux but other days it could be estaban loaiza.

watching both series it feels like the nl is the JV to the AL. don't think either team here has a chance against bos or houston. i love analytics, but dodgers is just making a mockery of it with the lineup shuffles, positioning, pitching matchups, launch angles/exit velocities. they don't want ground balls so they try to uppercut everything or ends up striking out. the small edges is great when it works out for your team, but i wouldn't call it a pleasant fan experience watching 5 hours of that.

edit: i loved the manny trade when it happened but yea i'll be glad to get seager back next year...unlike manny 1.0 this manny just doesn't feel like one of "us". good thing we got ss and 3b locked up so the fo won't have to think about bringing machado back next year.

Seager may not be all back next year for awhile or ever..you just never know..

i wonder how much money is being paid to dodger pitchers this year versus brewer pitchers in this playoff series.for yearly salary...could dodgers be paying 50 million more?

1952boyntoncollector 11-10-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1818152)
i think if they dont pull it off, it will hurt brewer fans even more because how can their chances be any better.... too bad dodgers will teach them a lesson

+1