Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone recommend books for the following? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242005)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 07-06-2017 06:23 AM

Anyone recommend books for the following?

I am looking to enhance my knowledge further on items such as bats, jerseys, and most importantly...photos.

I was recommended A Complete Reference Guide Louisville Slugger Professional Player Bats, however I can not find it anywhere.

Does anyone have an extra?

What do you guys recommend for photos? Is there a book that has examples and helps learn how to tell between a type 1 and a wire etc.

Also as far as old game used uniforms and equipment, I have purchased the following books...

1)Baseball: An Illustrated History

2) Antique Sports Uniforms & Equipment: Baseball, Football, Basketball 1840-1940 by

3) Game Worn: Baseball Treasures from the Game's Greatest Heroes and Moments

is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks guys. Looking forward to your opinions/advice.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 07-06-2017 09:55 AM

I will pay someone if they can scan me

portrait of baseball photography

And the complete reference Louisville slugger guide

Anyone have free time?

drcy 07-06-2017 11:08 AM

Not to toot my own horn, but there is the book 'Judging the Authenticity of Photographs hardcover = photo guide, free pdf version = ebook version.
It's a non-sport book, but a photo is a photo. The only difference between a wire photo of Humphrey Bogart and Joe DiMaggio is the subject. I'm slowly working on a new edition, but that is in the que of projects and won't be done for a couple of years.

Bicem 07-06-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1677988)
I will pay someone if they can scan me

portrait of baseball photography

The entire book?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 07-06-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1678017)
Not to toot my own horn, but there is the book 'Judging the Authenticity of Photographs hardcover = photo guide, free pdf version = ebook version.
It's a non-sport book, but a photo is a photo. The only difference between a wire photo of Humphrey Bogart and Joe DiMaggio is the subject. I'm slowly working on a new edition, but that is in the que of projects and won't be done for a couple of years.

Now that was very nice of you!

barrysloate 07-06-2017 01:07 PM

David also wrote an excellent book called "Collector's Guide to Early Baseball Photography." I was just looking at it the other day. He can tell you how you can find a copy.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 07-06-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1678073)
David also wrote an excellent book called "Collector's Guide to Early Baseball Photography." I was just looking at it the other day. He can tell you how you can find a copy.

Thanks Barry. Any others?

barrysloate 07-06-2017 01:32 PM

Stephen- since I was a 19th century collector, I know mostly books and articles on very early photography. I'm not an expert on 20th century type 1's and 2's. Some of the ones I used to use for reference, such as Mark Rucker's Baseball Cartes, are long out of print. If I can think of any others that are still available, I will post them here.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 07-06-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1678082)
Stephen- since I was a 19th century collector, I know mostly books and articles on very early photography. I'm not an expert on 20th century type 1's and 2's. Some of the ones I used to use for reference, such as Mark Rucker's Baseball Cartes, are long out of print. If I can think of any others that are still available, I will post them here.

Much appreciated!