Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Big Mail Day Jeter SP!! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262502)

Jhileman79 11-23-2018 07:43 PM

Big Mail Day Jeter SP!!

Thanks Greg @Lowpopper for the easy deal on a high end item!!! This looks better than an 9

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6bedc2e1e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sierra79 11-23-2018 08:25 PM

That's a huge pickup!!! Certainly has great eye appeal, and at the very least it is a super strong 9. Any idea what kept it from a 98? Surface?

Jhileman79 11-23-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra79 (Post 1829345)
That's a huge pickup!!! Certainly has great eye appeal, and at the very least it is a super strong 9. Any idea what kept it from a 98? Surface?

Some white edge on the back. I am going to send to BGS to try to get a 9.5.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...736dcdde4b.jpg

lowpopper 11-23-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhileman79 (Post 1829335)
Thanks Greg @Lowpopper for the easy deal on a high end item!!! This looks better than an 9

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6bedc2e1e1.jpg

Thanks. Jared was a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommended buyer.

CW 11-23-2018 09:00 PM

CONGRATS! Card looks great based on the photo.

Jhileman79 11-24-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1829351)
CONGRATS! Card looks great based on the photo.

Thanks!! It is the best Jeter SP I have ever owned!

ls7plus 11-24-2018 11:53 AM

My deepest sympathies go out to you. Hope you didn't pay too much for a player who was, as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel (OPS+ 115 to 111, a totally valid comparison between players of different eras), and not nearly as good defensively. Signature Jeter hit? Fisted blooper to right field (I sure saw enough of them off his bat--too numerous to count!). Signature Mantle hit? 450-500 foot+ homer (such as the blast to right off the facade at old Yankee Stadium, 117 feet high, 374' from home plate; the one over the left field scoreboard at old Griffith Park in Washington--supposedly traveling 565 feet--and the fact that center field UPPER deck in old Tiger Stadium--field level, 440' to dead center--was known as "Mickey Mantle territory" for good reason; plus 3 over the right field roof at Tiger Stadium). Plus, there are thousands and thousands of this card out there in higher grades, with extremely little to differentiate between them!

Just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to dampen your parade out of ill motive, but sometimes a little reason has to filter into the "popular" category, and not just mist, smoke, delusion and hype! Like the actual ability of the player, and not the common illusion regarding same. Jeter was a compiler, which is why is bare total stats over a long period make him look considerably better than he really was.

Just sayin',

Larry

Jhileman79 11-24-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls7plus (Post 1829453)
My deepest sympathies go out to you. Hope you didn't pay too much for a player who was, as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel (OPS+ 115 to 111, a totally valid comparison between players of different eras), and not nearly as good defensively. Signature Jeter hit? Fisted blooper to right field (I sure saw enough of them off his bat--too numerous to count!). Signature Mantle hit? 450-500 foot+ homer (such as the blast to right off the facade at old Yankee Stadium, 117 feet high, 374' from home plate; the one over the left field scoreboard at old Griffith Park in Washington--supposedly traveling 565 feet--and the fact that center field UPPER deck in old Tiger Stadium--field level, 440' to dead center--was known as "Mickey Mantle territory" for good reason; plus 3 over the right field roof at Tiger Stadium). Plus, there are thousands and thousands of this card out there in higher grades, with extremely little to differentiate between them!

Just my personal opinion, and I'm not trying to dampen your parade out of ill motive, but sometimes a little reason has to filter into the "popular" category, and not just mist, smoke, delusion and hype! Like the actual ability of the player, and not the common illusion regarding same. Jeter was a compiler, which is why is bare total stats over a long period make him look considerably better than he really was.

Just sayin',

Larry

I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!

JoeDfan 11-25-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhileman79 (Post 1829581)
I’m a Yankee fan. Grew up idolizing Don Mattingly. Watched the “Core 4” dominate and win titles. Jeter had an amazing career and will be a first ballot HOF. This is the most iconic modern baseball card!

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!

What he said!!!!
That is an AWESOME card!!!!!

savedfrommyspokes 11-25-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhileman79 (Post 1829581)

Go Troll somewhere else.

Go Yankees!

Real nice card of a first ballot HOF player!

Unless you have a great amount of experience with submitting crossovers, I would consider keeping this nice card in the holder it resides in.

Sierra79 11-25-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

...as a matter of absolute fact, approximately 3% better offensively than Alan Trammel

Yeah, but what I think your neglecting to take into account is that Jeter was ROY, broke 3K hits, .310 career BA, 14xAS, 5xWS champ, and ROY, and if that's not enough, he played for the Yankees in a dynasty period. So, I'm not knocking Trammell or his own RC card, but in terms of name recognition, even outside of the hobby, Jeter is an iconic player and soon to be 1st ballot HOFer.

As far as his '93 SP rookie is concerned you are right, the population is enormous, but...once you get to the mint grades now we're talking several hundred cards not thousands. I also, don't see to the numbers changing too much as the years go on as most of those '93 SP's are probably stuck together or have been warped in their boxes over time. The foil on those cards are extremely sensitive to indentations in the surface, chipping, and corner wear. His looks far nicer than most (unless you haven't taken a look at those things up close) - honestly looks like a BGS 9.5. And, while the population of '78 Trammell/Molitor (and even the '78 BK) cards is much smaller, Jeter's popularity/recognition is far greater than both Trammell and Molitor combined, I'm not really sold on Trammell as a comparable to Jeter in terms of hobby appeal.

Either way, it should be interesting to see what happens to mint 9+ graded after he gets inducted.

Jhileman79 11-25-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1829826)
Real nice card of a first ballot HOF player!

Unless you have a great amount of experience with submitting crossovers, I would consider keeping this nice card in the holder it resides in.

I am not going to crack it out. I am sending it to BGS tomorrow for 2/day review with a min 9.5 crossover grade!! I think it has a great chance

pokerplyr80 11-26-2018 11:33 PM

The only card post 1980 more iconic than the sp Jeter is the 86 Jordan. Jeter is the most popular and widely collected player of the modern era, and despite what a few haters have to say I don't see that changing. Championships, and being the face of the Yankees for over a decade mean a lot more than stats alone. The all star appearances and 3000 hits don't hurt either.

tulsaboy 11-27-2018 01:21 PM

This is the most iconic post-1980 card shy of the 86 Jordan? I think not. 1984 Donruss Mattingly, 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco, 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson, and (of course) the 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. ALL are arguably more "iconic" as representatives of our hobby. For a period of time, the 1985 Topps McGwire, Clemens, Gooden and Puckett were also right up there. But the Jeter, though nice, is not nearly as immediately recognizable or "iconic" as the cards previously mentioned.
kevin

pokerplyr80 11-27-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulsaboy (Post 1830469)
This is the most iconic post-1980 card shy of the 86 Jordan? I think not. 1984 Donruss Mattingly, 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco, 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson, and (of course) the 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. ALL are arguably more "iconic" as representatives of our hobby. For a period of time, the 1985 Topps McGwire, Clemens, Gooden and Puckett were also right up there. But the Jeter, though nice, is not nearly as immediately recognizable or "iconic" as the cards previously mentioned.
kevin

Not sure if this is a sarcastic reply, but of those you mentioned the 89 ud Griffey is the only one that's even close now.

Sierra79 11-27-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1830518)
Not sure if this is a sarcastic reply, but of those you mentioned the 89 ud Griffey is the only one that's even close now.

I think all of those cards that were mentioned will always have some kind of iconic status, but the Jeter has taken over largely because of who he is and also the cardboard he appeared on (condition sensitive, relatively shorter print run than most of the typical junk wax cards, and it being the flagship year for SP). I will say, in my humble opinion, that the '89 Griffey RC is still more iconic than the Jeter (at least to me), but things change over time. At the very least, one could say is the Griffey most iconic card of the 80's and the Jeter has become the most iconic card of the 90's (not bad for Upper Deck).

However, all that being said, there is no way that the other cards can even compare to the popularity of Jeter's '93 SP - I think the demand and price speaks for itself.

pokerplyr80 11-27-2018 07:44 PM

I collect Griffey, and the 89 ud was pretty iconic at the time it was released. The first card of a new set helped too. But there are so many out there that the sp Jeter has surpassed it. That 100k recent sale for a 10 proves the point. Other than some rare 1/1s or super fractor type cards, or low pop lebron rookies nothing produced in the last 40 years will come close to that price. And it's just a base card.

ls7plus 11-28-2018 08:34 PM

I want to sincerely apologize for raining on your parade. Unfortunately, I was in a bad mood at the time, and should have realized that the key thing is that your acquisition of a very high quality Jeter rookie, with great eye appeal, brings you the joy that collecting whatever the rest of us collect brings us. Making those comments was extremely rude and boorish of me, and I have regretted making them ever since that post. Once again, I am very sorry for my negative comments, and wish you all the joy that collecting can bring. I would be honored if you would accept this apology.

Sincerely,

Larry

Jhileman79 11-29-2018 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls7plus (Post 1831074)
I want to sincerely apologize for raining on your parade. Unfortunately, I was in a bad mood at the time, and should have realized that the key thing is that your acquisition of a very high quality Jeter rookie, with great eye appeal, brings you the joy that collecting whatever the rest of us collect brings us. Making those comments was extremely rude and boorish of me, and I have regretted making them ever since that post. Once again, I am very sorry for my negative comments, and wish you all the joy that collecting can bring. I would be honored if you would accept this apology.

Sincerely,

Larry

Thanks Larry!! I appreciate the comments!!

Exhibitman 11-29-2018 03:09 PM

And harmony is restored to our little community...

Oh, and nice card!

jchcollins 11-30-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Just sayin',

Larry

Wow way to throw a wet blanket on that. Just because you hold a personal opinion about a certain player doesn't mean that player can't have a fantastic baseball card. Jeez.

jchcollins 11-30-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1830340)
The only card post 1980 more iconic than the sp Jeter is the 86 Jordan.

Gotta disagree with you there, at least in favor of 1989 Upper Deck #1. Yes, it's not nearly expensive as either the Jeter or the Jordan. But it is easily iconic.

jchcollins 11-30-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1831579)
Wow way to throw a wet blanket on that. Just because you hold a personal opinion about a certain player doesn't mean that player can't have a fantastic baseball card. Jeez.

And Larry my apologies to you - as I see you did the right thing. I replied before scrolling to the bottom. Oy. Happy Friday everyone...

ls7plus 12-04-2018 11:18 PM

It's completely OK, John. My original bad--I deserved the rips. Hope your collecting brings you all you are seeking!

Sincerely,

Larry

Peter_Spaeth 12-05-2018 10:53 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the new shiny stuff, but in hand the SP Jeter is a very attractive card IMO. Then again I really like the 94 SP Arod too.

Neal 12-05-2018 11:28 AM

Certainly iconic - congrats!! And realllllllly nice looking card!

The 89 UD Griffey is one of the most iconic cards of any hobby era. The SP is a top 5 modern era card.

and Peter, don't sell us a bag of goods …. you LOVE shiny stuff!

smrtn240 04-07-2019 11:17 AM

great info here, just lay off the sauce:)

Rookiemonster 04-07-2019 06:20 PM

This card also has been increasing at a insane rate this year.

Republicaninmass 04-07-2019 07:36 PM

IMO the pump before the HOF dump

MVSNYC 04-08-2019 03:50 PM

Literally, in the last 2 weeks alone, the Jeter SP has gone quite nuts. I assume the start of the new season has something to do with the bump, but it's been really insane these last few weeks. Wow. Certainly a big supply, BUT clearly an even bigger demand. Iconic.

Glad I got a stack of them when I did.

irv 04-09-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1868577)
Literally, in the last 2 weeks alone, the Jeter SP has gone quite nuts. I assume the start of the new season has something to do with the bump, but it's been really insane these last few weeks. Wow. Certainly a big supply, BUT clearly an even bigger demand. Iconic.

Glad I got a stack of them when I did.

https://www.beckett.com/news/sp-is-f...icing-insider/

As these get out of reach for a lot of people it only makes sense his other cards follow. I am unsure the amount of "10"s wit this card but it looks like it is going to finish well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...-/352635943746

MVSNYC 04-10-2019 09:15 AM

Dale, thanks for that article. High tide raises all boats.

About 2-3 years ago a bought each of his rookie cards in PSA 10 (save for the SP, which I own ten 8.5's). Looks like one of my better decisions.

MVSNYC 04-11-2019 10:27 PM

PS-

Dale, let's keep an eye on his Stadium Club card, too...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Stadiu...kAAOSwmU1cp9d3

irv 04-13-2019 08:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1869006)
Dale, thanks for that article. High tide raises all boats.

About 2-3 years ago a bought each of his rookie cards in PSA 10 (save for the SP, which I own ten 8.5's). Looks like one of my better decisions.

You're welcome, MVSNYC.

That was definitely a great decision!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1869526)
PS-

I think it was around 92-93 when I decided to take a break from collecting so unfortunately my last Topps card were the 92 Stadium Clubs.
When I got back into the hobby in 2016, I went through a bunch of stuff and noticed I had purchased a 92 Pinnacle pack which had Jeter's card in it. I assume back then he was just another player/common as I didn't even have it in a sleeve nor top loader.
It's in nice shape, luckily, but I doubt it's worth sending it in to get graded?

I'm curious where these 2 cards are going to end?

Peter_Spaeth 04-13-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

PS-

Makes no sense to me why these are skyrocketing. There are hundreds if not thousands of them, and nothing in terms of his career has happened. "Investors" driving them up? Mike I would sell some of yours unless you own them purely out of love, don't fall prey to the thinking that they will go up forever.

I get the Yankee thing, to an extent. And the character thing I admire Jeter myself. But geez, an OK SS with not a lot of power as hobby icon????

MVSNYC 04-13-2019 07:48 PM

Peter- I am scratching my head too, with the sudden, seemingly unprovoked spike.

In regards to your last line...he was a fiery competitor, who won 5 rings, and was extremely well-liked. That all adds up.

Also, I think people forgot, or simply don't realize...he's number 6 on the all-time hits list. That's a pretty big deal, considering all the greats who have played the game.

I plan to hold for a while, may peel a few off next summer (when he's inducted).

irv 04-19-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

PS-

MVSNYC, I am curious on your thoughts how these 2 cards ended? Are these new highs for these cards or are they within the ballpark of what they have sold for in the past?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...orig_cvip=true

MVSNYC 04-19-2019 02:58 PM

Hi Dale, definitely new highs (as far as I know). I bought my examples of each (PSA 10's) for half those prices 2 years ago. Quite honestly, I think they were still half those prices 2 months ago. Seems that his cards have gone nuts (more than doubled) in the last 6-8 weeks.

irv 04-21-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1871468)
Hi Dale, definitely new highs (as far as I know). I bought my examples of each (PSA 10's) for half those prices 2 years ago. Quite honestly, I think they were still half those prices 2 months ago. Seems that his cards have gone nuts (more than doubled) in the last 6-8 weeks.

That's a quick uptick in prices!

Thanks MVSNYC. :)