Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Does 'Dmitri Young Collection' increase the value? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=263496)

mb2005 12-19-2018 08:01 AM

Does 'Dmitri Young Collection' increase the value?

Was wondering if the designation on the PSA holder as being part of the 'Dmitri Young Collection' increases the value of the card. Look at this PSA 10 1985 Topps Tiffany Clemens : 3 bidders over $7k!

Leon 12-19-2018 08:05 AM

It wouldn't to me because I barely know who the guy is. It might to others and probably will to some PSA set registry types...I like the old collectors names on them not new ones.

Peter_Spaeth 12-19-2018 08:35 AM

Not bad for a second year card.

bnorth 12-19-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1837790)
Not bad for a second year card.

Roger is the greatest of all time and if Dmitri was real lucky maybe he got to icy hot Rogers bag.:D:D:D:D

EDIT: To add I would actually pay less because the flip has Dmitris name on it.

Bestdj777 12-19-2018 10:09 AM

I have paid a premium for player owned cards/memorabilia in the past, but only when that memorabilia related to the specific player. I wouldn’t pay more for this guy’s cards, particularly as my understanding is that a lot of them were generously graded.

swarmee 12-19-2018 03:56 PM

*double post*

swarmee 12-19-2018 03:56 PM

It may not matter much to those that have responded yet, but yes, there are people who pay a premium for Dmitri Young collection cards. It still has an aura of positivity when it is discussed in most places online.
The press and publicity it had when he was assembling the collection and then when he sold made it part of card collecting lore.

JustinD 12-19-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1837839)
I have paid a premium for player owned cards/memorabilia in the past, but only when that memorabilia related to the specific player. I wouldn’t pay more for this guy’s cards, particularly as my understanding is that a lot of them were generously graded.

This right here.

Peter_Spaeth 12-19-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1837839)

This is the problem with the Gem Mint grade, at least on some issues as best I can tell it's a pretty arbitrary call between a 9 and a 10.

Bestdj777 12-19-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1837966)
This is the problem with the Gem Mint grade, at least on some issues as best I can tell it's a pretty arbitrary call between a 9 and a 10.

That’s why I collect primarily PSA 1s. Pretty easy to identify :)

BearBailey 12-19-2018 07:31 PM

Who wouldn’t want a Card owned by a former player nick named the meat hook. It wouldn’t matter to me who owned the card,but the first National in Baltimore when he displayed his collection I happened to walk over back to back mornings from the Hilton to the convention center with him and He couldn’t have been a nicer guy to talk with, he made sure I brought my sons by on the free kids day to get a picture.

ronniehatesjazz 12-20-2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearBailey (Post 1837987)
Who wouldn’t want a Card owned by a former player nick named the meat hook. It wouldn’t matter to me who owned the card,but the first National in Baltimore when he displayed his collection I happened to walk over back to back mornings from the Hilton to the convention center with him and He couldn’t have been a nicer guy to talk with, he made sure I brought my sons by on the free kids day to get a picture.

Definitely one who flew under the radar in terms of being one of the “good guys” of the game. Loved watching him play in Cincinnati growing up and can remember him signing for hours after games! Also, I believe all the proceeds from the sale of his collection went to charity. Total class act!

ls7plus 12-20-2018 06:28 PM

Simple answer: No. I watched him play extensively for the Tigers. A sometimes good, but certainly never great player. His prior ownership adds nothing in terms of pedigree for me.

Happy holidays,

Larry

irv 12-20-2018 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz (Post 1838241)
Definitely one who flew under the radar in terms of being one of the “good guys” of the game. Loved watching him play in Cincinnati growing up and can remember him signing for hours after games! Also, I believe all the proceeds from the sale of his collection went to charity. Total class act!

I remember reading a story where he said he would likely leave them to his children. Wonder why the change of heart?

If the proceeds did go to charity, then good on him! :)

Chicosbailbonds 12-29-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1838278)
I remember reading a story where he said he would likely leave them to his children. Wonder why the change of heart?

If the proceeds did go to charity, then good on him! :)

Much of the proceeds went to his foundation to teach inner city kids how to play baseball.

olrac44 01-03-2019 06:53 PM

93 SP Jeter PSA 10

The Jeter SP PSA 10 was reslabbed without the pedigree label of his collection.

irv 01-03-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds (Post 1840483)
Much of the proceeds went to his foundation to teach inner city kids how to play baseball.

Well, good on him. I still wonder why he swayed from leaving them to his children but maybe that was their wish as well?