Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unidentified Baseball Team on oversized real photo postcard (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328459)

hharm3 12-04-2022 09:22 AM

Unidentified Baseball Team on oversized real photo postcard

4 Attachment(s)
Would like some help identifying the below team and potentially the players pictured. I can't quite make out the postmarked year (1912 maybe) but it's from Dayton (OH?) which might be clues to the identity of the team. The back of the card shows the names of the players pictured. The fold appears to original, and the total size of the card is 9.25" x 3.25"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

mybuddyinc 12-04-2022 10:51 AM

Cool postcard !!!

Would have to assume Dayton, OH.

The logo looks like STC. Which could be St. Christopher's. There is a St. Christopher's School in Richmond, VA. But, that school wasn't founded until 1922.

Beating Gettysburg (PA) is your main clue. The key would be a better date. Probably May, but not sure if I see 1912. Maybe try to look up Gettysburg baseball scores in 1912, or years about then. Wouldn't be surprised that you might find something.

The one thing I can tell you player #8 "Hank" probably isn't going to help much ..... :rolleyes:

Webster 12-04-2022 11:15 AM

School

Outside chance - Sinclair College in Dayton was founded in the late 19th century. Primarily technical training for men at the time. Now part of the community college system. Worth researching a bit.

Kawika 12-04-2022 01:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I looked on-line at E-Yearbooks at old Gettysburg College annuals from the era but couldn't find anything resembling a smoking gun. Didn't see a 1912 schedule. Along the way I learned that there is a Dayton in Virginia where once was the site of Shenandoah College although I didn't see where they ever played Gettysburg.

Good luck figuring things out. The answer is out there somewhere.

Steve D 12-04-2022 02:22 PM

The stamp was first issued in 1908. So, I went to the Gettysburg College website and looked at their game-by-game scores over the years. Interestingly, I can find absolutely no games that ended with Gettysburg losing 6-1; and I looked at all years into the 1920s.

Steve

Rich Falvo 12-04-2022 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Could that logo be SCI (Shenandoah Collegiate Institute, now Shenandoah University)?

Gettysburg baseball results by opponent show a 6-0 loss vs SCI in 1910. Possible the postcard writer got the score wrong?

Attachment 545480

Webster 12-04-2022 03:23 PM

Has to be

"Could that logo be SCI (Shenandoah Collegiate Institute, now Shenandoah University)?

Gettysburg baseball results by opponent show a 6-0 loss vs SCI in 1910. Possible the postcard writer got the score wrong?"

This gets my vote!

Steve D 12-04-2022 07:23 PM

From looking on Newspapers.com, Shenandoah Collegiate Institute was in Dayton, Virginia; and the initials on those uniforms are SCI.

Steve

hharm3 12-04-2022 09:36 PM

Thanks guys. Great work. This makes a lot of sense too since Dayton, VA is near Harrisonburg where my FIL would often flea market and yard sale. Hambleton, WV is also not too far into WV from there so it might make sense that players from Hambleton would be in school there.

Now, I just need someone to tell me that there are 2 or 3 Hall of Famers pictured and I'll be good to go.

Seriously, though thank you very much. I was really barking up the wrong tree looking in Ohio. Much appreciated.

Steve D 12-05-2022 12:04 AM

I just took another look at the Gettysburg College website, and it lists only one game played against Shenandoah Collegiate Institute. That is their only listed game against SCI, until 1985.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...ore_000000.pdf

According to it, SCI beat Gettysburg 6-0, and the game was played March 24, 1910, presumably at SCI.

So, while the initials on the uniforms are a match, and SCI was in Dayton, VA, where the postcard was mailed, the game was almost two months before the postcard was mailed (the postmark only clearly shows "MA" for the month, but the date is before the 20th of the month, so if the postmark was actually March, it would have been before the game was even played.

So something isn't matching up.

Steve

Michael B 12-05-2022 02:27 AM

The school now know as Shenandoah University does not appear to have ever been called Shenandoah Collegiate Institute.

Per wiki:

Rev. Abram Paul Funkhouser and Rev. John (Jay) Paul Fries founded the school as Shenandoah Seminary in 1875. At the time, it was located on a 10-acre campus in Dayton, Virginia, and classes were initially held in a two-room lo structure.[4][5] The school had 11 students enrolled in its first year.[5]

Shenandoah Seminary became a junior college in 1924, changing its name to Shenandoah College the following year. Shenandoah Conservatory became a separate corporation in 1937 and began granting four-year degrees.

My first thought was Shephard College in Shepardstown, WV which is about 35-40 miles from Gettysburg, but they never had 'institute' as part of their name.

Casey2296 12-05-2022 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 2290147)
I just took another look at the Gettysburg College website, and it lists only one game played against Shenandoah Collegiate Institute. That is their only listed game against SCI, until 1985.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...ore_000000.pdf

According to it, SCI beat Gettysburg 6-0, and the game was played March 24, 1910, presumably at SCI.

So, while the initials on the uniforms are a match, and SCI was in Dayton, VA, where the postcard was mailed, the game was almost two months before the postcard was mailed (the postmark only clearly shows "MA" for the month, but the date is before the 20th of the month, so if the postmark was actually March, it would have been before the game was even played.

Steve

Could the postmark "MA" represent May and not March?

MINES_MINT 12-05-2022 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2290156)
Could the postmark "MA" represent May and not March?

It reads "MAY", the Y is faint but its there.

EddieP 12-05-2022 03:12 AM

[QUOTE/]According to it, SCI beat Gettysburg 6-0, and the game was played March 24, 1910, presumably at SCI.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Post-mark for March would be “MAR” and for May would be “MAY”. The third letter is not well seen by I think it is a “Y”.

Oops just saw Mine__Mints post.

Mark17 12-05-2022 04:06 AM

Pat R 12-05-2022 05:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know if it's any help but there was a Dr. A.N. Gorrell (same name as the addressee) in Zanesville Ohio which is just North of W.V. and East of Dayton Ohio.

Attachment 545536

Rich Falvo 12-05-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 2290155)
The school now know as Shenandoah University does not appear to have ever been called Shenandoah Collegiate Institute.

According to the Shenandoah University website:https://www.su.edu/about-us/history/

1902 • • •

Shenandoah was renamed Shenandoah Collegiate Institute and School of Music.

1924 • • •

The certification of a junior college curriculum paved the way for a change in name from Collegiate Institute to College in 1925.

Rich Falvo 12-05-2022 10:44 AM

It's also possible the postcard was written after the March game but not mailed right away, accounting for the later postmark.

FrankWakefield 12-05-2022 08:34 PM

This thread shows some of that Net54 research, ciphering, and figuring out...

March 20 1910 was a Sunday... slightly unusual date for a cancellation?

May 20 1910 was a Friday.

Just because the card has that info on it, doesn't mean that it was contemporaneously mailed.

HOF ties... there was a Hall of Fame pitcher who attended Gettysburg College.

Dinosaurs are roaming this thread, S Gross, I think I bought a couple of white border cards from you a few weeks ago. Mr. McDonald, Mahalo? I think I sold you a red border card years ago. Bill Kuhlman is in the 1910 Red Border cards in series 6, with the Paris Bourbonites, of the Kitty League's Paris, Ky team. He played infield and outfield for them. That info you dug up shows a Kuhlman playing center field for Gettysburg.

Steve D 12-05-2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINES_MINT (Post 2290159)
It reads "MAY", the Y is faint but its there.

So, the game was played on March 24th, and the postcard has a postmark date of May 19th; but the sender said the game was "yesterday". The postmark was 55 days after the game was played. So he wrote the message to the addressee, but waited 55 days to mail it, and didn't correct the wording?

Steve

jingram058 12-06-2022 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2290532)
This thread shows some of that Net54 research, ciphering, and figuring out...

March 20 1910 was a Sunday... slightly unusual date for a cancellation?

May 20 1910 was a Friday.

Just because the card has that info on it, doesn't mean that it was contemporaneously mailed.

HOF ties... there was a Hall of Fame pitcher who attended Gettysburg College.

Dinosaurs are roaming this thread, S Gross, I think I bought a couple of white border cards from you a few weeks ago. Mr. McDonald, Mahalo? I think I sold you a red border card years ago. Bill Kuhlman is in the 1910 Red Border cards in series 6, with the Paris Bourbonites, of the Kitty League's Paris, Ky team. He played infield and outfield for them. That info you dug up shows a Kuhlman playing center field for Gettysburg.

And his name is Eddie Plank.

mybuddyinc 12-06-2022 11:43 AM

I agree with the "consensus" theory of post card. Correct team, just mailed late.

Being an ol' Dickinson man (class of '82), This thread brought back some fine college memories (sans hangovers ...... :p).

Look like Gettysburg had the best of D'son those years.

Frank, my fellow dinosaur (:)), yes, sold many a T206 recently. Haven't owned T210s in probably 10 years (once had complete T210-1, but sold, wish I didn't, of course).

Speaking of Eddie Plank and Gettysburg ---- here's a completely random fact:

Everyone pronounces Gettysburg as: Get - TEES - Burg.

However, in South Central PA, it is pronounced: Get - TIS -Burg.

Fun, Fun, Scott :rolleyes:

MikeGarcia 12-06-2022 11:56 AM

Accent on "GETTIS"

..site of the second-most Northern incursion by CSA forces. Only the Battle Of Schrute Farms was further north.

Vintagedeputy 12-06-2022 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2290700)
..site of the second-most Northern incursion by CSA forces. Only the Battle Of Schrute Farms was further north.

Love this....

hharm3 12-06-2022 06:29 PM

Based on the facts you fine folks have discovered; I have decided to gift this postcard to a card collecting friend who is a local historian and a professor at Shenendoah University (now in Winchester, VA).

I'm hopeful that he'll be able to perhaps track down information on some of the young men in the image. If he turns anything up, I'll update the thread.

Again, I really appreciate all the research you have provided. It's helped me to find the perfect home for this card. Thank you all very much.