Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1939 Baseball Centennial Emblem "Is That You Joe" (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240081)

da-bullman 05-22-2017 06:38 AM

1939 Baseball Centennial Emblem "Is That You Joe"

3 Attachment(s)
The National Centennial Commission officially formed and introduced to Major League leaders in Chicago in October 1938. Earlier in the summer of 1938 Ford Frick hired public relations professionals Steve Hannagan and Al Stoughton to lead this Centennial effort.
The first item up for consideration was the creation of an emblem. In the summer of 1938 Marjori Bennet, a young artist from New York City, won a contest for the design of the emblem. Her design featured a background of four red stripes representing balls, and three white stripes representing strikes. Overlaying the stripes was a baseball diamond. A batter at the end of his swing was in the center. The dates "1839-1939" were written on the top and "Baseball Centennial" was written on the bottom of the design. The Commission approved the design at its fall meeting and agreed to unveil it at the winter meeting in New Orleans that December.

It seems Miss Bennets' emblem contained one major flaw: Did her batter depict Joe DiMaggio? Major League Baseball did object to the singling out of one player and the original design was altered by inserting a caricature of a batter. The alterative design was accepted and uniform patches were manufactured for Professional Baseball including the Minor Leagues. With two exceptions the Philadelphia Athletics and the Baltimore Orioles who wore the Bennet design patch for the 1939 season. Manufactured for the Spalding Sporting Goods Company this rare uniform patch was embroidered on twill and measured 4.5 x 4.5. Please visit my web site www.1939baseball.com for more information.
Say It's Not So Joe Attachment 273976

The Spalding Twill Patch worn by the Athletics and Orioles Attachment 273977

This patch design was the only one accepted for use by professional baseball Attachment 273979

btcarfagno 05-22-2017 06:42 AM

Do we know why the two teams decided to go with the original version? Besides the fact that it looks much better?

Tom C

da-bullman 05-22-2017 06:54 AM

the Philadelphia Athletics and the Baltimore Orioles

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure, I think the uniforms were ordered early and were not retro fitted. Even when Mack's Colleges kids came up like Eddie Collins Jr. they wore the Bennett design

perezfan 05-22-2017 12:28 PM

Agree that the Bennett design is the more attractive of the two.

But it looks more like Ted Williams' face on Joe D's body. Really, the face and smiling expression look nothing like DiMaggio. Very interesting story, and great post!

da-bullman 05-22-2017 12:41 PM

Not Ted

Both were great looking but Ted Williams Bats from the Left and Joe DiMaggio from the right. What a season for both in 1939 www.1939baseball.com

JollyElm 05-22-2017 09:23 PM

I just watched 'The Natural' and the patch (second version) is on the NY Knights uniforms, immediately dating the story to 1939.

da-bullman 05-23-2017 12:09 PM

More on Joe !

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry for poor image this from the card (1940 Play Ball )but wish I had the original photo.
The help I am looking for is the image used for the Centennial Emblem Joe DiMaggio. The documentation I have seen is inclusive Major League Baseball never specified the reasons for the change in the design or who did the Caricature for the Patch that was used, That's the Mystery www.1939baseball.com for more information. Thanks Steve

Is that You Joe ????

Dave Grob 05-23-2017 01:17 PM

Patch Variations

1 Attachment(s)
Over the years, I have seen and had/have a number of variations of this patch. Variations have included differences in size, design (orientation of the batter) and other small design changes. This particular patch is not twill, but embroidery done on the typical athletic felt. It came off of a Cardinals minor league uniform about 15 years ago.

Dave Grob

da-bullman 05-24-2017 09:16 AM

More on the Centennial Emblem

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Dave, Do you remember which Minor League Team not aware of any Minor League team other than the Orioles using the Bennet design. I have several embroidered on felt patches of various sizes yours is in pretty good shape. Check out mine at www.1939baseball.com All the best Steve

Dave Grob 05-24-2017 12:28 PM

1939 Patch

Don't know the team and not sure I ever figured it out. The Cardinals had close to 30 minor league affiliates in 1939 and half of them were either Cardinals or Red Birds.

Dave Grob

da-bullman 05-24-2017 03:23 PM

Minor League Patch

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been trying to collect Minor league team photo's and long way to go but worth the hunt. 41 leagues 271 teams and the celebration of baseballs 100th birthday the Baseball Centennial made the season of 1939 special. Thanks Again All the Best Steve www.1939baseball.com