Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One day auctions with high minimum bids (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=157236)

Chris Counts 10-01-2012 05:50 PM

One day auctions with high minimum bids

There seems to be a proliferation of one-day auctions on eBay in the categories I often search under — and the same items get listed every single day. Since these items typically have a minimum bid that resembles a Buy-It-Now price, it's not really fair to call them auctions. Worse yet, they clog up my searches for Newly Listed items. Does anybody here use this strategy for listing items? It seems unreasonably aggressive, sort of like bumping your item every day on the Net45 BST forum.

It's a hassle, but I block certain sellers from each of my saved searches ...

wolf441 10-01-2012 06:30 PM

I completely agree with you Chris. I wish eBay would raise their listing fees and cut back on their % of sale total (although they will never do this - too much $$ to be made). So many wasted T206 listings of common players with $50-$100 opening bids. What's the point? Do any of these ever sell?

camlov2 10-01-2012 06:34 PM

Thanks for reminding me to bump my net54 for sale threads... :D

I haven't noticed many of these so I must be looking in different areas then you are. It actually sounds like a really good way to get more people looking at your posts. Most people either search the newly listed items or those about to end, these items could show up under both searches.

celoknob 10-01-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 1040916)
There seems to be a proliferation of one-day auctions on eBay in the categories I often search under — and the same items get listed every single day. Since these items typically have a minimum bid that resembles a Buy-It-Now price, it's not really fair to call them auctions. Worse yet, they clog up my searches for Newly Listed items. Does anybody here use this strategy for listing items? It seems unreasonably aggressive, sort of like bumping your item every day on the Net45 BST forum.

It's a hassle, but I block certain sellers from each of my saved searches ...

I agree with all this and am having to block at least one seller that lists the same cards almost daily. This selling strategy may backfire in the long run because even if he if lists something for a reasonable price I won't see it or am so turned off I'll not buy.

Tobacco&Gum 10-02-2012 07:34 AM

While I really don't like "auctions" with high starting bids, I would rather have sellers do it this way as opposed to shilling an auction with a lower starting bid.

dog*dirt 10-02-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celoknob (Post 1040977)
I agree with all this and am having to block at least one seller that lists the same cards almost daily. This selling strategy may backfire in the long run because even if he if lists something for a reasonable price I won't see it or am so turned off I'll not buy.

Agreed 100%