Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anybody else hooked on Boardwalk Empire? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145445)

familytoad 12-28-2011 11:43 PM

Anybody else hooked on Boardwalk Empire?

I just got access to HBO GO on my iPad and discovered Boardwalk Empire starring excellent character actor Steve Buscemi as the lead ...Enoch "Nucky" Thompson. The show is set in the Prohibition era, both in Atlantic City and Chicago. Nucky "runs things".

This series has ties to baseball as Season one's early episodes feature Arnold Rothstein and others talking about fixing the 1919 World Series.
Also, a young Al Capone is characterized when he was a driver/hit man for gangster Johnny Torrio.

A well acted series, though its made for adults only, as the violence, sex and language is prevalent.
I'm on episode 7 of season one...Does anyone else here like/dislike/watch or otherwise opine?

RichardSimon 12-29-2011 07:15 AM

Terrific show.
HBO and Showtime are so far ahead of network TV in terms of quality of shows now, no wonder most of network TV has seen ratings slump.

GoldenAge50s 12-29-2011 01:21 PM

Been watching BE since it began last yr---I hate when the Season ends!

Big Dexter fan too!

chris6net 12-30-2011 04:41 PM

The second season had some slow moments but the way the season ends makes next season a can,t miss.

alanu 01-05-2012 10:11 AM

In the one episode someone has a nice supply of single signed ty cobb baseballs, he gives one to a kid then pulls out another one to put on his desk.

barrysloate 01-06-2012 06:28 PM

That was Nucky's stepson (Margaret Schroeder's son), and after he gets home he puts the ball in a cigar box under his bed...and I swear in the split second he had the box open I saw a T204 Ramly. But if you blink you miss it.

Excellent show with some great characters, but too many got killed off at the end of season two. Jimmy's wife (Aleksa Palladino), Jimmy's dad (Dabney Coleman), then Jimmy himself (Michael Pitt)....the show will have a different look next season.

And I was really smitten with Paz de la Huerta, who plays Lucy Danziger. Not only was she hot but also very mysterious. She's my favorite character.

Vol 01-06-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 953612)

And I was really smitten with Paz de la Huerta, who plays Lucy Danziger. Not only was she hot but also very mysterious. She's my favorite character.

+1 What a fox.

And I caught those t204's as well. Very cool.

The season 2 finale was great. Jimmy had to go and he knew it.

Hopefully the new series "Luck" can make waiting around for BE a little easier!

RichardSimon 01-11-2012 09:03 AM

Kelly McDonald who plays Nucky's live in lover has a leading role on a great BBC in America show called State of Play. Last episode is tonite, but you can catch the season with Entertainment on Demand (at least that is what Time Warner calls it).

D. Bergin 01-11-2012 02:21 PM

Spoiler for those who haven't seen it yet:

I was really shocked when they killed off Jimmy Darmody at the end, as he was just as important a character as Nucky and they spent quite a bit of time developing him.

Made me wonder if the show was getting cancelled after this season or if the actor wanted out for some reason or another.

RichardSimon 01-14-2012 05:02 PM

I do not believe that BE was cancelled.

barrysloate 01-14-2012 06:54 PM

It wasn't canceled...but Bored to Death was.:(

ChiefBenderForever 01-23-2012 05:19 PM

Awesome show, can't believe they killed Jimmy, thought he was gonna get addicted to smack and spiral outta control. How about that 'Game of Thrones", what a series some of the best TV I've ever watched.

RichardSimon 01-23-2012 08:18 PM

HBO and Showtime are awesome, they have brought movie quality to TV shows.

Vol 01-24-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 959363)
HBO and Showtime are awesome, they have brought movie quality to TV shows.

Sure do. I miss the Sopranos everyday. Then Deadwood, Rome, Hung, and Six Feet Under! Amazing.

I just caught up with Homeland. That had to be the best pilot episode of any series ever!

benderbroeth 02-02-2012 05:57 PM

just started watching like a few days ago!!! really enjoy it so far..i showed my girlfriend the back of one of my tobacco cards after seeing the piedmont sign in the background in episode #1..it was a piedmont t206 ed walsh card i have.

benderbroeth 02-02-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VOLnVEGAS (Post 959493)
Sure do. I miss the Sopranos everyday. Then Deadwood, Rome, Hung, and Six Feet Under! Amazing.

I just caught up with Homeland. That had to be the best pilot episode of any series ever!

you forgot californication!!!

jerrys 02-04-2012 10:12 PM

Jimmy came to confront the butcher - his wife's murderer - without a weapon!?

familytoad 02-05-2012 12:16 AM

BE season two complete

Well, I finally finished watching Boardwalk Empire's two seasons.
I didn't want it to end so I delayed the last two episodes:o

Jimmy must have known what was really going to happen, he didn't seem to go anywhere without that giant knife in his boot, or a gun.

Strange ending, but as mentioned...It makes you want for more.
Besides Nucky, many of the characters won't be back for season three:D
I wonder what the troubled Nelson Van Alden will end up doing (what great acting by Michael Shannon!!) Or how the famous gangsters will end up being portrayed...Lansky, Luciano and Capone as younger men are shown here as fools...

I have access to more HBO series on my Ipad so tonight starts a new one, maybe Game of Thrones or past episodes of True Blood that I have heard about but never seen.

Afterall, I need to keep busy between T206 threads:p

Vol 02-08-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benderbroeth (Post 963174)
you forgot californication!!!

Yes I did!