Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Win Streak = $1.7M in Rebates? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244707)

KMayUSA6060 09-09-2017 07:12 AM

Win Streak = $1.7M in Rebates?

As a diehard Indians fan, it has been a blast watching the Tribe rattle off 16 wins in a row (going for #17 today). They now have by far the best run differential in baseball, and are only 1.5 games back of the Astros for the best record in the American League. This is also without Michael Brantley and Andrew Miller, two of our cornerstone pieces in the OF and bullpen respectively.

However, some Indians fans and even non-Indians fans were cheering for the Tribe for a different reason Thursday night.

Universal Windows Direct (a local NEO company) offered a promotion during all of July that any customer who did business with the company would receive a full rebate if the Indians went on a 15-game winning streak any time between Aug. 1 and the end of the season.

Well, Thursday, the Indians did it. They won their 15th straight. UWD purchased an insurance policy for this promotion, but the total payout in rebates is $1.7M. Pretty cool stuff!

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...eak-reaches-15

MCoxon 09-09-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1699363)
As a diehard Indians fan, it has been a blast watching the Tribe rattle off 16 wins in a row (going for #17 today). They now have by far the best run differential in baseball, and are only 1.5 games back of the Astros for the best record in the American League. This is also without Michael Brantley and Andrew Miller, two of our cornerstone pieces in the OF and bullpen respectively.

However, some Indians fans and even non-Indians fans were cheering for the Tribe for a different reason Thursday night.

Universal Windows Direct (a local NEO company) offered a promotion during all of July that any customer who did business with the company would receive a full rebate if the Indians went on a 15-game winning streak any time between Aug. 1 and the end of the season.

Well, Thursday, the Indians did it. They won their 15th straight. UWD purchased an insurance policy for this promotion, but the total payout in rebates is $1.7M. Pretty cool stuff!

Been a great story. I'm going tomorrow night, hoping they win #18. In addition to Brantley and Miller, they've also done this without Jason Kipnis, a team leader and a previous all-star at 2B

I think the business owner paid $75K for the $1.7M insurance policy; I'd say it's been a good advertising expenditure for him.

KMayUSA6060 09-09-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCoxon (Post 1699552)
Been a great story. I'm going tomorrow night, hoping they win #18. In addition to Brantley and Miller, they've also done this without Jason Kipnis, a team leader and a previous all-star at 2B

I think the business owner paid $75K for the $1.7M insurance policy; I'd say it's been a good advertising expenditure for him.

100% agree about it being a good advertising expenditure.

I'm actually not a Kipnis fan. I will go as far as to say I don't think we have this streak if Kipnis plays.

irv 09-09-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1699363)

I am a Jays fan at heart but when I heard Encarnacion wasn't returning, I instantly became an Indians fan.
I don't know how many times it happened this year, when I caught wind the Indians were playing and turned on the T.V., I was able to see Edwin hit a home run! 32, maybe 33 straight games now he has been on base at least once. :)

Not sure what all happened between him and the Jays (the truth, anyways) but it is pretty plain to see letting him go was a big mistake. :mad:

barrysloate 09-12-2017 04:46 AM

Now 19 in a row and they have outscored their opponents 132-32!! Almost impossible.

KMayUSA6060 09-12-2017 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1700230)
Now 19 in a row and they have outscored their opponents 132-32!! Almost impossible.

It's ridiculous the tear they are on. If they win tonight I'm buying tickets to tomorrow night's game.

They now have the best record in the AL, and are closing in on both the Nats and the Dodgers for the best record in baseball. They've gone from a 160ish run differential to 200+. And this is all without Brantley, Miller, Kipnis, partly Chisenhall, partly Tomlin, and now without Zimmer. Even JRam got hurt for a bit.

barrysloate 09-12-2017 06:37 AM

Hope they at least get to 21 and set a new AL record. They are poised to finally get that elusive world series ring!

KMayUSA6060 09-12-2017 08:01 PM

20 wins in a row baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cardsfan73 09-12-2017 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1700258)
Hope they at least get to 21 and set a new AL record. They are poised to finally get that elusive world series ring!

Wouldn't 21 actually tie MLB record for longest WINNING streak?

The 1916 Giants went undefeated in 26 straight but had a game end in a tie after win 12 & before win 13.

The actual longest Winning streak (with no ties) belongs to the 1935 Cubs who won 21 in row and then went on to lose the World Series to the Detroit Tigers.

The 1916 Giants who went undefeated for 26 straight games still finished in 4th place. Ouch :(

The 2002 A's who won 20 straight lost the AL Divisional Series to the Twins.

Maybe winning all these games in a row is not a good sign for the Tribe!

KMayUSA6060 09-13-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsfan73 (Post 1700526)
Wouldn't 21 actually tie MLB record for longest WINNING streak?

The 1916 Giants went undefeated in 26 straight but had a game end in a tie after win 12 & before win 13.

The actual longest Winning streak (with no ties) belongs to the 1935 Cubs who won 21 in row and then went on to lose the World Series to the Detroit Tigers.

The 1916 Giants who went undefeated for 26 straight games still finished in 4th place. Ouch :(

The 2002 A's who won 20 straight lost the AL Divisional Series to the Twins.

Maybe winning all these games in a row is not a good sign for the Tribe!

This is a hot button topic right now in Cleveland. We're all trying to figure out exactly what the record is and how that "tie" was scored in the books.

According to Baseball Reference, the game was tied in the 9th when they had to end the game due to rain. They came back the next day and re-played that game in its entirety, then played another game that day. They won both.

On Baseball Reference, they have that rain-cancelled game marked with a T for Tie, but it is not reflected as a tie in their overall record.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...e-scores.shtml

Regardless, I would like to get to 21 and then 22 to knock the Cubs off the record books for at worst the second longest winning streak in MLB history. I think I count the 26 wins in a row and hold that as the record, but it's interesting.

KMayUSA6060 09-13-2017 01:12 PM

21 straight!

barrysloate 09-13-2017 05:15 PM

I feel especially good for Jay Bruce, who struggled for years on a dysfunctional Mets team and now has a real shot at a World Series. He was interviewed after the game and he feels really fortunate to have been traded to such an amazing team. Good for him!

irv 09-13-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1700694)
I feel especially good for Jay Bruce, who struggled for years on a dysfunctional Mets team and now has a real shot at a World Series. He was interviewed after the game and he feels really fortunate to have been traded to such an amazing team. Good for him!

I feel the same for Edwin Encarnacion. I know he likely regretted leaving the Jays so I am glad he is on another contender and has a real good chance of going to, and possibly winning the World Series.

KMayUSA6060 09-13-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1700694)

When we traded for Bruce in early August (August 9th I believe), a lot of the talk in Cleveland was that he was a rental. Carlos Santana is a free agent after this season, and the original thought was that we couldn't keep them both. Now, it's looking like we have a good shot at keeping both. Bruce loves the Midwest, blue collar area/team, and I think he likes contending, too. Santana has openly said he doesn't want to leave Cleveland, and might be open to a hometown discount.

The other aspect people like to discount is if the Indians go on another deep postseason run, that's tens of millions in extra revenue. I think we made ~$60M last year in the postseason, which literally paid for Edwin Encarnacion. His contract is also incentive based with some statistical incentives but it's largely attendance based. If the Indians hit certain milestones in attendance, he bonuses. Very creative contract. Our attendance is way up this year - an average of $5k+ each game - and should only continue to climb.

I, by the way, will be at the game tomorrow night. Going for 22 which, depending upon whom you ask, is the MLB record for consecutive wins. Roll Tribe baby! Keep the Chief and Go Indians!

barrysloate 09-14-2017 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1700756)
When we traded for Bruce in early August (August 9th I believe), a lot of the talk in Cleveland was that he was a rental. Carlos Santana is a free agent after this season, and the original thought was that we couldn't keep them both. Now, it's looking like we have a good shot at keeping both. Bruce loves the Midwest, blue collar area/team, and I think he likes contending, too. Santana has openly said he doesn't want to leave Cleveland, and might be open to a hometown discount.

The other aspect people like to discount is if the Indians go on another deep postseason run, that's tens of millions in extra revenue. I think we made ~$60M last year in the postseason, which literally paid for Edwin Encarnacion. His contract is also incentive based with some statistical incentives but it's largely attendance based. If the Indians hit certain milestones in attendance, he bonuses. Very creative contract. Our attendance is way up this year - an average of $5k+ each game - and should only continue to climb.

I, by the way, will be at the game tomorrow night. Going for 22 which, depending upon whom you ask, is the MLB record for consecutive wins. Roll Tribe baby! Keep the Chief and Go Indians!

Bruce played many years with Cincinnati so I assume he feels at home back in Ohio. And although I don't know his stats, it seems like he is in a groove and making a big contribution. He's the perfect fit.

With regard to the record for longest winning streak, I believe 21 straight is now the mark. Years back it was the 26 straight by the Giants, but they now consider that tie game a deal breaker. So if they win today, that's the new record.

KMayUSA6060 09-14-2017 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1700809)
Bruce played many years with Cincinnati so I assume he feels at home back in Ohio. And although I don't know his stats, it seems like he is in a groove and making a big contribution. He's the perfect fit.

With regard to the record for longest winning streak, I believe 21 straight is now the mark. Years back it was the 26 straight by the Giants, but they now consider that tie game a deal breaker. So if they win today, that's the new record.

I've been flipping back and forth on this, and I've come to a conclusion. If the stats count for the game that ended in a "tie", then the game counts regardless of its reflection in the overall season record. From what I've heard, people believe the stats count, so I say the MLB record is 21 straight by the '35 Cubs. Hopefully after tonight, it's 22 and counting by the 2017 Indians!

barrysloate 09-14-2017 06:34 AM

Of course, they have to win today. I hope they do, it's great for baseball.

KMayUSA6060 09-14-2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1700829)
Of course, they have to win today. I hope they do, it's great for baseball.

It really is.

irv 09-14-2017 08:42 PM

22! What a game!!

Congrats Cleveland, hope you go all the way! :)

cardsfan73 09-14-2017 10:31 PM

What a run for the Tribe!!

I am a big Terry Francona fan. I really wish the Cardinals would have offered him the manager job after they interviewed him in 2011. I know we have had some good years under Matheny but I feel like Francona could have achieved a lot more.

Jose Ramirez is probably my favorite player on the team, I might be a bit biased though because he has been a stud for me on both of my fantasy teams this year.

KMayUSA6060 09-14-2017 10:36 PM

WHAT. A. GAME!

My dad and I sat in the upper deck, down the first base line facing directly down the third base line. Playoff atmosphere. Great crowd. After the 8th inning ended in disappointment, we decided to head down to the Home Run Porch to be near the exit in case the 9th ended with a similar result. 2 outs, and down to our last strike, Lindor hits that game-tying RBI double and we were all going freaking nuts. There was a stampede when the 9th ended - half the people were running back to their seats, while the other half bolted for the bathrooms. We ran back up to our seats in the upper deck and watched the 10th from there. Jose Ramirez's hustle on the leadoff double will fly under the radar, but he set the tone for the inning. Edwin Encarnacion worked an 0-2 count I believe into a full count, eventually taking 1B on a walk. Then Jay Bruce came up. He had an opportunity in the 8th to deliver a game-tying or even go-ahead hit, and blew it. He took a pitch or two, then it happened. A game winning RBI double down the right field line. Before he hit it, I had a feeling of joy come over me. I cracked a huge smile and knew something special was going to happen, and damnit it sure did. 22 wins in a row. 22 WINS IN A ROW! It is arguably the MLB record for consecutive wins.

Oh, and just for $#@% and gigs, the seats I bought were seats 22 and 23. I sat in seat 22. Meant to be. Such an incredible night. Glad I got to experience it with my dad.

Fun fact: the Royals lost to the A's in '02 on a walk off. The A's set the AL record with that victory. The Royals lost tonight to the Indians on a walk off, setting the arguable MLB record.

barrysloate 09-15-2017 03:50 AM

Kyle- you've witnessed a few really incredible baseball games the past few nights. You will remember them forever!

22 and counting!

KMayUSA6060 09-15-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1701162)
Kyle- you've witnessed a few really incredible baseball games the past few nights. You will remember them forever!

22 and counting!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to go to win #21. Didn't realize it was at noon and my dad & I couldn't get off work in time. But I did watch the game on my phone at work, and at least I was there last night!

This is incredibly fun. It's world news right now (maybe not as much anymore after yet another London terrorist attack).

irv 09-15-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1701142)
WHAT. A. GAME!

My dad and I sat in the upper deck, down the first base line facing directly down the third base line. Playoff atmosphere. Great crowd. After the 8th inning ended in disappointment, we decided to head down to the Home Run Porch to be near the exit in case the 9th ended with a similar result. 2 outs, and down to our last strike, Lindor hits that game-tying RBI double and we were all going freaking nuts. There was a stampede when the 9th ended - half the people were running back to their seats, while the other half bolted for the bathrooms. We ran back up to our seats in the upper deck and watched the 10th from there. Jose Ramirez's hustle on the leadoff double will fly under the radar, but he set the tone for the inning. Edwin Encarnacion worked an 0-2 count I believe into a full count, eventually taking 1B on a walk. Then Jay Bruce came up. He had an opportunity in the 8th to deliver a game-tying or even go-ahead hit, and blew it. He took a pitch or two, then it happened. A game winning RBI double down the right field line. Before he hit it, I had a feeling of joy come over me. I cracked a huge smile and knew something special was going to happen, and damnit it sure did. 22 wins in a row. 22 WINS IN A ROW! It is arguably the MLB record for consecutive wins.

Oh, and just for $#@% and gigs, the seats I bought were seats 22 and 23. I sat in seat 22. Meant to be. Such an incredible night. Glad I got to experience it with my dad.

Fun fact: the Royals lost to the A's in '02 on a walk off. The A's set the AL record with that victory. The Royals lost tonight to the Indians on a walk off, setting the arguable MLB record.

I agree, Jose Ramirez's hustle definitely set the tone. If he hadn't hustled, the game definitely could have ended with a different result. He is the unsung hero imo.

I seen the first pitch Edwin got and thought to myself, that was a perfect ball for him to hit, but I was glad he worked the walk after that as that could have ended up a pop up or a deep fly ball. Of course I was hoping he would have been the hero but working a walk in that situation, with some very close pitches, also shows what kind of player he is and how good he is.

I had no idea it was the Royal's who was also involved in the A's streak. That is a very interesting fact!

KMayUSA6060 09-15-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1701192)
I agree, Jose Ramirez's hustle definitely set the tone. If he hadn't hustled, the game definitely could have ended with a different result. He is the unsung hero imo.

I seen the first pitch Edwin got and thought to myself, that was a perfect ball for him to hit, but I was glad he worked the walk after that as that could have ended up a pop up or a deep fly ball. Of course I was hoping he would have been the hero but working a walk in that situation, with some very close pitches, also shows what kind of player he is and how good he is.

I had no idea it was the Royal's who was also involved in the A's streak. That is a very interesting fact!

Yep! The A's were up 11-0 in the record-setting game back in '02. The Royals stormed back to tie it at 11 all, before Scott Hatteberg hit a walk-off HR (I believe it was a pinch hit situation, too). This can all be seen in Moneyball of course.

Just waiting for a movie about the Indians now...