Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1997 - 1st Bowman vs. Bowman Chrome (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225464)

baseballflash5 07-14-2016 11:38 AM

1997 - 1st Bowman vs. Bowman Chrome

Hi,

I am looking at two 1997 Bowman Aramis Ramirez RC's. One says "1st Bowman Card" and has a black border, and the other says "Bowman Chrome" and has a silver border. They both have the same picture of Ramirez and the same stats on the back.

Which one of these is considered his true RC, or do you consider them both equal? I know Bowman cards today will say "1st Bowman Chrome Card" on them. Did they not say this in 1997?

PS - I'm picking up collecting again for the first time in about 25 yrs, so I'm still getting used to "newer" cards.

Tripredacus 07-15-2016 12:31 PM

1st Bowman Card does not mean RC, especially nowadays.

There are both RCs. The Chrome doesn't have the 1st logo because the regular Bowman is the 1st.

baseballflash5 07-15-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripredacus (Post 1562034)
1st Bowman Card does not mean RC, especially nowadays.

There are both RCs. The Chrome doesn't have the 1st logo because the regular Bowman is the 1st.

Sorry, by RC, I meant the first time the player appears on a major brand card. I know that is not the case now with RC's.

So are you saying that despite both being 1997 cards, the "1st Bowman Card" was issued before the "Bowman Chrome Card"?

Jantz 07-15-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballflash5 (Post 1562040)
So are you saying that despite both being 1997 cards, the "1st Bowman Card" was issued before the "Bowman Chrome Card"?

Yes

1997 Bowman cards were released before Bowman Chrome, so his Bowman card is his "first Bowman card".

Later in 1997, Bowman Chrome was released.

They are still both his RCs. One version was just produced and released slightly before the other. Much the same as it is today with Topps and Topps Chrome. Topps baseball comes out first, then a few months later Topps Chrome is released.

baseballflash5 07-18-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 1562057)
Yes

1997 Bowman cards were released before Bowman Chrome, so his Bowman card is his "first Bowman card".

Later in 1997, Bowman Chrome was released.

They are still both his RCs. One version was just produced and released slightly before the other. Much the same as it is today with Topps and Topps Chrome. Topps baseball comes out first, then a few months later Topps Chrome is released.

Interesting, I didn't know that. What do you think collectors value the most, 1st Bowman (came out first) or Bowman Chrome (nicer card) if they are from the same year?

WillBBC 07-19-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballflash5 (Post 1563009)
Interesting, I didn't know that. What do you think collectors value the most, 1st Bowman (came out first) or Bowman Chrome (nicer card) if they are from the same year?

The saying goes that 'Chrome is King!' and the prices reflect that!

bravos4evr 07-19-2016 02:21 PM

and , these days, the Bowman Draft autos tend to go for more $$$ than either the bowman paper or chrome (unless it's a chrome refractor autograph insert in a rare color in Bowman Draft)

the 'stache 07-19-2016 11:11 PM

They do? This is news to me. Unless you mean Bowman Chrome Draft.

The Chrome autos of a player are the card to have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1563509)
and , these days, the Bowman Draft autos tend to go for more $$$ than either the bowman paper or chrome (unless it's a chrome refractor autograph insert in a rare color in Bowman Draft)