Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1972 Topps set (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=228367)

blackandgold 09-10-2016 05:39 AM

1972 Topps set

I am debating whether or not to try to put together the 1972 Topps set. It's been my favorite ever since I was an 8 year old kid buying packs. The big question for me is, if you're not too concerned about condition, how much of a headache are the high numbers? I've been working on the 1967 baseball set for a long time, and the high numbers in that set are the reason I'm asking.
I look forward to hearing your responses.
Matt

Econteachert205 09-10-2016 12:55 PM

It won't be as big of a headache as the 67's that's for sure. I built my set, which I no longer own, in exmnt. It wasn't as hard as the 71s even. Just be patient.

LuckyLarry 09-10-2016 03:52 PM

Matt: Common '72 football high numbers in collector grade should be available for around $7-$10 each, but you have to keep on the lookout for them. There are WAY more '67 Topps baseball high numbers out there than there are '72 Topps football high numbers.
If it has been your favorite set since you were eight years old, you HAVE to go for it!
Larry

blackandgold 09-10-2016 04:49 PM

Dennis and Larry,
Thanks for the info. And you're right Larry, I have to go for it! I've recently picked up some Steelers. I'm going to get my checklist together and get to work! I will post my progress on here. I'm hoping for a fun ride.

sockwell123 09-10-2016 07:24 PM

if condition isn't a huge factor should be reasonable. You can get the first 263 cards in Ex condition for low cost i'd assume with exceptions for Staubach, and a few others my opinion. currently working on this set myself. My budget is small so it's taking me some time to get Ex and better high numbers.

Good luck with it!

blackandgold 09-10-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sockwell123 (Post 1583652)
if condition isn't a huge factor should be reasonable. You can get the first 263 cards in Ex condition for low cost i'd assume with exceptions for Staubach, and a few others my opinion. currently working on this set myself. My budget is small so it's taking me some time to get Ex and better high numbers.

Good luck with it!

Thanks Shawn.
I'm in the same boat. Small budget, and also working on 1967 baseball.
Good luck to you too.

Econteachert205 09-11-2016 10:21 AM

Oh no you were talking about 1972 football and I was talking baseball. I need to read more carefully. Sorry about that.

pariah1107 09-11-2016 11:17 AM

A great set. Challenging to put it lightly. I went through the pain of collecting this set a few cards at a time, it took a couple years (maybe three) in VG/EX condition. It was costly. If I had to do it over, I'd probably adopt Larry's 10% book rule, and sacrifice a bit on condition for the high numbers. In hindsight, it would have been wiser to wait until '72 high number collection came up at an auction house. There was a EX near set recently sold at LOTG that was reasonable.

Good luck and happy collecting :)

K-Nole 09-14-2016 03:36 PM

This was easily one of my and my sons most favorite set to do.
As mentioned in prior posts, it can be done if you are not a stickler on grade, fairly easily.
However you MUST have patience.
For two reasons.
#1 to find the big ones at a price you can afford.
#2 for them to come up on eBay.

What I did was I went to Sportlots.com and bought what I could, and then the rest, I just patiently watched eBay.

I say do it!! It is a lot of fun.

PS: the above post is about the high #'s.
The regular set is a breeeeeeeze to do.

jiw98 09-14-2016 07:45 PM

The 72 set was a blast to put together. As stated in the other posts you need to be patient on the high numbers.
I travel all over the country and I looked every place I was at. I even found cards at antique stores. It was a great way to spend my extra time while away from home.
The set did take about 3 years to complete in exmt condition.
Have fun and go for it!

Mdmtx 09-16-2016 09:25 PM

I just finished a 72 set (less 2 common highs) the old fashioned way ... I bought it. Lol. Wanted one forever.

Beansballcardblog 09-17-2016 01:42 PM

I actually found a very low grade lot of four of the high numbers on sportlots and decided to pick it up "just in case" I ever wanted to put this set together. I would do it in Larry fashion as opposed to spending a ton of money of the cards. I paid less than $2 a card.

High Number and Low Grade…but Still on a High

Rickyy 09-17-2016 04:36 PM

I've been working on this set since I was a little kid back in... 1972! I'm down to 10 High Number in Action and All Pro Cards... putting them together piece by piece..

Ricky Y

chris6net 09-26-2016 06:28 PM

Since this was the first set I remember buying in packs(I know I bought a few 71 packs) I always wanted to complete this set. I think I will go for it!