Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What ever became of... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330383)

clydepepper 01-16-2023 04:11 PM

What ever became of...

Bucky 'Large Ass' Herzog?

I imagine COVID got him...or, at least slowed him down.

Though I was never able to participate in his numerous travels, it was sure fun watching!!

Leon 01-17-2023 03:02 PM

He was sent back to the original owner and never heard from again. Dunno.

abothebear 01-17-2023 11:15 PM

I’ve got him.

Thanks for asking about him, (one of the rarest and best T206 variations you’ll ever see).

It was my intention to build a webpage and curate the “Travels” thread photos and info (so far) in an effort to inspire a new season of traveling for the old chap. But I haven’t gotten to it, and probably won’t for a while. What I can do, if there are people interested in sending him globe-trotting once again, is just scan the log book (the main reason I got him back) and then send him out again. I’ll probably just do the scan anyway.

Send me a trade and your address if you are ready to take a turn as tour guide!

George

Travel log link for the uninitiated…

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=135841

StraightRaceCards 01-18-2023 09:24 AM

LA Herzog

Just read through every page of the original LA Herzog thread. This is amazing and one of the many reasons why this community is awesome.

Happy to take LA through Dallas, but I imagine there are some better spots for him to land outside of DFW!

Matt

abothebear 01-18-2023 02:25 PM

There’s no place too dull for Buck. And no place he’d pass on seeing a second time. No monument or event too insignificant for him to rally behind. No collector he’d deny the hand of friendship to. Unlike us, he’s got all the time in the world.

George

clydepepper 01-18-2023 03:17 PM

Perhaps, someone planning an upcoming trip to Cooperstown?

Has he been there already?

How about to his gravesite? Where ever that is.

Michael B 01-18-2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2305583)

Denton Cemetery. 24865 Meeting House Rd Denton MD 21629. It is off of Business Rte 404 just before you cross the Choptank River to Denton heading to the Eastern Shore or Lewes, DE. It is just over 70 miles east of D.C. and the same distance southeast of Baltimore.

BioCRN 01-18-2023 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarsHoneyToast (Post 2305497)
Just read through every page of the original LA Herzog thread. This is amazing and one of the many reasons why this community is awesome.

The humble origins, the initial trips, rubbing elbows with stars, getting it's own SGC flip designation...crazy trip.

Casey2296 01-19-2023 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 2305583)
Perhaps, someone planning an upcoming trip to Cooperstown?

Has he been there already?

Send him to me, I'll take him for a nice day at the beach and we'll visit Harry Hoopers gravesite which is here in town.

abothebear 01-19-2023 08:58 PM

Part of this story is the trade aspect. Not everyone does it, but looking through the logbook, almost everyone has. It isn't just a visit from Buck - here today and gone tomorrow. An exchange is made on both sides, and a link in a chain is forged between you and your trade partners, and through them, to everyone who has participated in Buck's journey. Send me a PM about setting up a trade (The last few times I've traded I think we just exchanged addresses and picked something fun out ourselves, no haggling). These are nominal trades, largely of comparable pre-war quality (but not comparable value. what could equal The great traveller's rarity, celebrity, and provenance?). There may have been a few times when the action for Buck was hot enough to consider offers before settling on a trade partner, but I doubt it. In other words, if you want him, all you've got to do is PM me, and we'll exchange addresses, I'll send "Large Ass" Herzog to you, and you'll send me whatever floats your boat. Good trade.

lowpopper 01-20-2023 12:12 AM

where is buck now?

abothebear 01-20-2023 09:10 PM

Hi Greg,
This thread is only a few days old. So the card is still with me for the moment.
George

Leon 01-20-2023 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abothebear (Post 2306019)
Part of this story is the trade aspect. Not everyone does it, but looking through the logbook, almost everyone has. It isn't just a visit from Buck - here today and gone tomorrow. An exchange is made on both sides, and a link in a chain is forged between you and your trade partners, and through them, to everyone who has participated in Buck's journey. Send me a PM about setting up a trade (The last few times I've traded I think we just exchanged addresses and picked something fun out ourselves, no haggling). These are nominal trades, largely of comparable pre-war quality (but not comparable value. what could equal The great traveller's rarity, celebrity, and provenance?). There may have been a few times when the action for Buck was hot enough to consider offers before settling on a trade partner, but I doubt it. In other words, if you want him, all you've got to do is PM me, and we'll exchange addresses, I'll send "Large Ass" Herzog to you, and you'll send me whatever floats your boat. Good trade.

When you get Buck back do they get their trade back?
I used to just send Buck to whomever wanted to take him.

abothebear 01-20-2023 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2306386)
When you get Buck back do they get their trade back?
I used to just send Buck to whomever wanted to take him.

I've only traded back with someone once. Recently, I traded to Sean (milkit1), and then traded him again to get him back. But we didn't undo the first trade, I sent him something new rather than sending him back the card he sent.

Bonus fun fact: Sean was also the first person I traded with (first trade of Buck's travels). The next time I traded with him (10 years later or whatever it was), he sent me a card of the same player he sent the first time (not the same card). It was awesome.

abothebear 05-03-2023 08:21 AM

editted

Jobu 02-03-2024 04:12 PM

Amy updates on Large Ass? I'd love to see him re-start his travels.

clydepepper 02-03-2024 05:51 PM

I have his travel log copied to a word doc, but it's too big to attach to a post.

I loved it enough to purchase my own card, though his 'ass' is complete on mine. LOL

whitehse 02-03-2024 08:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I would be happy to take Buck to see the birthplace of his old buddy Fred Merkle in Watertown Wisconsin. Included in that trip would be a visit to Merkle Field where Addie Joss once played when he was with the Watertown minor league team. And for giggles, we can even visit Woodland, Wisconsin, Addie Joss' birthplace just to show him around a bit.

Buck can probably even continue the Merkle game reunion with former Cub's foe, Carl Lundgren.

Attachment 608591
Attachment 608592
Attachment 608594