Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GAI vs PSA round 1..... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=82030)

Archive 08-26-2006 06:36 AM

GAI vs PSA round 1.....

Posted By: <b>Mark Turner</b><p>is it true that if you send a GAI graded card to get crossed over to PSA they tend to deem it trimmed or lower the grade. I know that the owners of GAI are from PSA but why would there be conflick between them, thanks

Archive 08-26-2006 08:21 AM

GAI vs PSA round 1.....

Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>why would there be a conflict between psa and gai? for starters, how about the owners of gai learned the trade at psa, left to start a competing business and that competing business would like to take away all of psa's customers.<br /><br />as to your first question, I have heard that psa tends to adhere to their grading standards very strictly when crossing both sgc and gai cards. I personally have no experience crossing cards into psa slabs.<br /><br />I can say from personal experience that sgc will give cards slabbed by competitors a fair review as I have had several cards that were sent in psa slabs that were bumped up half a grade. Of course, Ive also had several that have been downgraded or, if I was unwilling to accept a lower grade, that failed to crossover.

Archive 08-26-2006 09:48 AM

GAI vs PSA round 1.....

Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>These days I haven't been sending PSA a lot of stuff as most of what I'm collecting in graded form has been going to SGC.<br /><br />However, my past experience has not been favorable with crossing Global cards to either PSA or SGC, whether I send it in or out of the slab. Most cross a half or full grade lower, and I've had a half dozen or so rejected for trimming. I guess Global has slightly different standards than PSA or SGC on a lot of the cards I like to collect.<br /><br />Recently, I had one higher-dollar card that crossed from a Global holder just fine, though.<br /><br />-Al

Archive 08-26-2006 11:58 AM

GAI vs PSA round 1.....

Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>My personal experience crossing GAI to SGC or PSA:<br /><br />Crossing in the slab (slab review) - about 60%<br />Cracking out of the GAI holder and submit - about 90%<br /><br />I would think that the numbers would be about the same in the other direction as well.<br /><br />

Archive 08-26-2006 12:45 PM

GAI vs PSA round 1.....

Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>My experiences have been close to Richard's. I think you are better off cracking cards out and submitting them to rival companies than attempting a cross-over, although with more expensive cards, I can see why you would want to keep them slabbed until you were sure they would cross.

Archive 08-26-2006 01:07 PM

GAI vs PSA round 1.....

Posted By: <b>John J. Grillo</b><p>I agree that SGC is very fair and objective when one tries to cross cards over in PSA or GAI holders. I do think their is just a little bias between PSA and GAI and vice-versa.

Archive 08-26-2006 01:21 PM

GAI vs PSA round 1.....

Posted By: <b>Greg Ecklund</b><p>I may just be lucky so far, but every GAI card I've ever tried to cross to SGC has crossed over at the same grade or in one or two cases a little higher. There have probably been 30-40 of them and all but one was crossed in the holder.<br /><br />With PSA to SGC it depends on the set - every e90-1 I've crossed has gone at the same grade, but I have also avoided a few PSA 3's with paper loss on the front. Other sets like M101-4/5 and Tattoo Orbits have crossed most of the time, with an exception or two from each set. <br /><br />The one set I have found PSA very nearly incompetent on are the 1940 Play Balls - an 8 in that set has always crossed for me, but their 6's and 7's are so all over the place that I have had better success with raw Play Balls. I have almost completely stopped buying 1940 PB 6's and 7's unless I can get a high resolution scan of both sides. I sold Jay (and described to him correctly) a PSA 6 Vosmik that had one corner practically rounded - it wasn't a 6 by any reasonable standard.