Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PROPOSAL: Section on B/S/T Board for Those Interested in Buying Collections (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=200533)

BlueDevil89 01-25-2015 07:06 PM

PROPOSAL: Section on B/S/T Board for Those Interested in Buying Collections

I notice quite frequently on the B/S/T boards that people are posting (in every category) that they are interested in buying large collections. I imagine that given the opportunity to do so, many members on Net54 have the means and interest in buying large collections at a wholesale price (---I would also imagine that anyone interested in selling an entire collection, would be likely to post that information to the B/S/T board, rather than select just one of the many members who have expressed interest in such acquisitions, but that's besides the point).

So I'm proposing the following: Have a separate section for "COLLECTION BUYERS". In this section, members of Net54 can post their interest in buying large collections. This would save those members time from having to copy the same post over and over into five or more different sections, and would also save them time because they would only have to bump one post (instead of all of them). It would also give collection sellers a special section to go to find an endless list of advertisements from those wishing to buy entire large collections. They could find all of these potential buyers in one place. [Finally --- It would also keep the various other sections of the B/S/T board free from such spam.]

Anyway, just a thought...opinions?

ullmandds 01-25-2015 07:09 PM

Leon: "there are already too many sections on the bst..it aint happening!!!"

Leon 01-25-2015 07:09 PM

no

BlueDevil89 01-25-2015 07:13 PM

Gentlemen --- Perhaps the tongue-in-check manner that was intended was not evident enough in the post. This suggestion was only meant to be taken as seriously as Jonathan Swift's "Modest Proposal"...

mrvster 01-25-2015 07:39 PM

Leon...

I think it's a neat idea:).....but I could see the hassle:o

:)

Tao_Moko 01-25-2015 08:22 PM

I got you. Another way of saying it is that the b/s/t is not necessarily intended to be free or paid advertising space for dealers looking to buy collections.

I don't pay to be a member so I have learned to overlook and scroll past that which I don't like and hope that the "dealers" respect the "collectors" and why we are here. It doesn't seem out of control so I just skip past the posts.

BlueDevil89 01-25-2015 09:28 PM

No, not really trying to criticize dealers or anyone in particular. Just questioning, does anyone really respond to these types of posts?

If I was trying to move a large collection, I would likely post some details about the cards and look to talk with several potential buyers who might respond, to get the best price possible. I would guess that there are many members on this website with the juice to purchase entire collections. Would I approach just one board member because they keep a running post indicating that they buy collections? Perhaps, just to get one offer for consideration among many. More likely, I'd have to post and seek several offers, or better yet, consign the entire collection to an auction house in an attempt to get the best price.

On a board like this with participants that are so highly educated on the topic of baseball cards, is it possible that people actually respond to such posts and sell their entire collections by obtaining just a couple of offers from those who promote that they are seeking to buy collections? Maybe, but I would think the odds are slim.

abothebear 01-25-2015 09:38 PM

This was funny. I am sorry people missed it. I think where you went wrong was that it was too long. The second paragraph would have been brilliant on its own. But most readers probably wrote you and your "idea" off before they got there.

BlueDevil89 01-25-2015 09:45 PM

It's always been my problem...writing too much.

I attend Verbosity Anonymous meetings to try to deal with the problem.

"Hi, my name is Chris, and I'm extremely verbose..."

abothebear 01-25-2015 09:52 PM

I have the same problem.

jcmtiger 01-25-2015 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevil89 (Post 1371813)
No, not really trying to criticize dealers or anyone in particular. Just questioning, does anyone really respond to these types of posts?

If I was trying to move a large collection, I would likely post some details about the cards and look to talk with several potential buyers who might respond, to get the best price possible. I would guess that there are many members on this website with the juice to purchase entire collections. Would I approach just one board member because they keep a running post indicating that they buy collections? Perhaps, just to get one offer for consideration among many. More likely, I'd have to post and seek several offers, or better yet, consign the entire collection to an auction house in an attempt to get the best price.

On a board like this with participants that are so highly educated on the topic of baseball cards, is it possible that people actually respond to such posts and sell their entire collections by obtaining just a couple of offers from those who promote that they are seeking to buy collections? Maybe, but I would think the odds are slim.

No one responds, this is not the 1970's, 80's, that era is over.

Joe

glynparson 01-26-2015 03:26 AM

If you wish to buy collections

Spring for a banner ad. a section in the BST does not seem that feasible or useful.

1952boyntoncollector 01-26-2015 06:38 AM

I agree..but its free for them so really not a big deal and very little time....its when things cost money or time is when you really have to analyze..

people were spending money on the yellow pages 3 years ago.....if you can believe that..

autograf 01-26-2015 06:47 AM

some still do. Ours goes directly to recycling upon receipt.

Bocabirdman 01-26-2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevil89 (Post 1371822)
It's always been my problem...writing too much.

I attend Verbosity Anonymous meetings to try to deal with the problem.

"Hi, my name is Chris, and I'm extremely verbose..."

They canceled last night's meeting...The minutes from the previous meeting took too long to read.:D

jimivintage 01-26-2015 07:41 PM

For what it's worth, I'm not a dealer, and I just recently posted about buying a collection on most of the BST areas....and I have had several emails with people interested in letting go of stuff. I bought a collection of a million cards on here in 2009 and had a lot of fun going through it, selling off stuff I couldn't use and also putting together sets and HOFers in binders and boxes for my collection. I also belong to several other online trading groups and it's not to have extra trade bait.

Just my two cents...but by broadcasting that you are in the market doesn't necessarily mean you're a dealer. I've rebooted my collection a couple times, too. Anyway, have fun and collect what ya like! :)