Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Worst player in any Hall of Fame (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=239963)

Aquarian Sports Cards 05-19-2017 07:58 PM

Worst player in any Hall of Fame
 
This is not necessarily the least deserving as there is a subtle difference. I'm looking for guys who just weren't all that good at their sport.

I'm torn between Rabbit Maranville and Joe Namath, honorable mention to Ray Schalk and Phil Rizzuto

Snapolit1 05-19-2017 10:18 PM

Joe Namath won the biggest game in his sport in a legendary upset. Has to count for a lot. Not arguing he deserved the Hall, but far from the least deserving candidate I can imagine.

The Cardfather 05-19-2017 11:35 PM

I know that I'm going to take a lot of flack for this, but my choice is........

Cal Ripken, Jr.

A very good player who was fortunate enough (and healthy enough) not to ever take or need a day off. But NOT a Hall-of-Fame player, IMHO.

D. Bergin 05-20-2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1662921)
Joe Namath won the biggest game in his sport in a legendary upset. Has to count for a lot. Not arguing he deserved the Hall, but far from the least deserving candidate I can imagine.

Namath had a fairly pedestrian game. Matt Snell and the Jets D won that game.

D. Bergin 05-20-2017 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cardfather (Post 1662944)
I know that I'm going to take a lot of flack for this, but my choice is........

Cal Ripken, Jr.

A very good player who was fortunate enough (and healthy enough) not to ever take or need a day off. But NOT a Hall-of-Fame player, IMHO.


Consider this flack given LOL. Contrarian choice. Ripken is a no brainer, streak or no streak. 2 MVP Awards, 8 Silver Sluggers for his position, reliably fielded his position no matter what anybody says about his range, though he seems to be ranked near the top of his position in nearly every defensive metric on Baseball Reference for good portions of his career.

Econteachert205 05-20-2017 10:29 AM

Bill Bradley NBA, only in because of New York.

Snapolit1 05-20-2017 11:35 AM

I would clearly support the idea that Cal would win my award for most hysterically over hyped player of my lifetime who was nowhere near the great player than many made him out to be. I also though his pursuit of the streak showed him to be a self obsessed boob who egotistically put his personal stuff ahead of everything else. (Sure this hasn't been debated before. . . .) Had a few truly excellent years but many more seasons where he hit around .250.

Republicaninmass 05-20-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1663045)
I would clearly support the idea that Cal would win my award for most hysterically over hyped player of my lifetime who was nowhere near the great player than many made him out to be. I also though his pursuit of the streak showed him to be a self obsessed boob who egotistically put his personal stuff ahead of everything else. (Sure this hasn't been debated before. . . .) Had a few truly excellent years but many more seasons where he hit around .250.



Put me in coach !! (Dad for a little bit wasn't it) ;)

rats60 05-20-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1662957)
Consider this flack given LOL. Contrarian choice. Ripken is a no brainer, streak or no streak. 2 MVP Awards, 8 Silver Sluggers for his position, reliably fielded his position no matter what anybody says about his range, though he seems to be ranked near the top of his position in nearly every defensive metric on Baseball Reference for good portions of his career.

Joe Namath is a no brainer for the Hof. 2 MVP awards. Only QB to throw for 4k yards under the old rules. Bart Starr never threw for 2500 yards. Bob Griese never threw for 2500 yards. Len Dawson never threw for 2900 yards. All contemporaries of Namath and in the Hof.

Baseball - Tommy McCarthy
Football - Bob Hayes
Basketball - Bill Bradley

Bored5000 05-20-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cardfather (Post 1662944)
I know that I'm going to take a lot of flack for this, but my choice is........

Cal Ripken, Jr.

A very good player who was fortunate enough (and healthy enough) not to ever take or need a day off. But NOT a Hall-of-Fame player, IMHO.

What? Ripken is in the top 25 all-time for WAR; the only two shortstops ahead of him are Honus Wagner and Alex Rodriguez, who obviously was not a shortstop his entire career and was a steroid guy.

Even if you are not a new-age stats guy, 3,184 hits and 430 home runs are not HoF numbers? Have you looked at Ray Schalk's career numbers? ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.