Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has anyone else heard this? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165175)

thehoodedcoder 03-12-2013 05:32 AM

Has anyone else heard this?

hi,

PSA will no longer grade the Nodgrass variation because their graders are unable to detect if the "S" has been professionally removed or if it is legitimate.

I have not yet called to inquire about this but I am curious to know what others think about this statement.

Kevin

T205 GB 03-12-2013 05:48 AM

They should just stop grading period but that will never happen:D This is definitely a step in the right direction though.

thehoodedcoder 03-12-2013 06:00 AM

all kidding aside

ok. all kidding aside....im looking or a legit answer?

if a card is altered in any shape or form no matter how small it is....it should get an A. what difference does a (variation) mark on the slab label, or lack there of, make on the card other than to potentially inflate the value of said graded card.

refusing to recognize the variation for the reason noted doesn't seem like a coherent reason why they would not recognize it. would it seem more like a refuse to liability more so than an ability to determine if something is or is not a fake and is this claim even real?

kevin

SushiX37 03-12-2013 06:51 AM

Sadly you're not going to get a real answer here. There are too many PSA haters that are hell bent telling everyone why they dislike them so much, whether you want to hear it or not.

I am curious as to how you got this information? Did you submit a card and they declined it? I'd like to believe they'd take their time on a card with a known variant to determine if it's legit or not.

Rich

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-12-2013 06:54 AM

The best bet is probably going to be to just give them a call and ask.

jerseygary 03-12-2013 08:08 AM

If their experts can't tell a whole letter has been removed from the face of a printed card or that the most valuable card in the hobby has been trimmed, what the heck are they good for then?

jhs5120 03-12-2013 08:24 AM

(Insert generic PSA jab here)

Ease 03-12-2013 11:58 AM

I'm actually a pretty big fan of tpg, but what happened to change their minds? Its nice to see them admit they can't tell now, but how could they tell before? Was there a big jump in nodgrass subs or something?

Cardboard Junkie 03-12-2013 12:34 PM

If, (and that's a BIG IF) this is true, and their graders can't tell if a letter has been removed they should consider employing professionals.

Clark7781 03-12-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1102343)
If, (and that's a BIG IF) this is true, and their graders can't tell if a letter has been removed they should consider employing professionals.

+1

EvilKing00 03-12-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1102189)
ok. all kidding aside....im looking or a legit answer?

if a card is altered in any shape or form no matter how small it is....it should get an A. what difference does a (variation) mark on the slab label, or lack there of, make on the card other than to potentially inflate the value of said graded card.

refusing to recognize the variation for the reason noted doesn't seem like a coherent reason why they would not recognize it. would it seem more like a refuse to liability more so than an ability to determine if something is or is not a fake and is this claim even real?

kevin

Agreed, it should get an A

thehoodedcoder 03-12-2013 03:34 PM

follow up for sure

this came up in something i read. im still trying to get to the bottom of the comment to see. i posted the thread to get feed back on here before i call(was in a hurry to get to work this morning).

now that i am out of work i plan to follow up with PSA and find out if any of this is true....as well as see if i can find out if there is any legitimacy to the claim being made.

i will keep you posted.

kevin

BobC 03-12-2013 07:17 PM

I'm neutral as to the TPG services. Don't send cards to them but, understand their purpose and place in the hobby. I had not heard this either about PSA refusing to grade these Nodgrass cards from now on. if this is correct, it could be a big turning point in how TPGs are perceived and used by the hobby in the future.

People have posted asking why they don't just give the cards an "A" grade for Authentic. Well, I can see PSA's lawyers having a hand in that decision. PSA has over the years worked to gain their reputation as a reputable TPG grading service, upon whom buyers can rely. On occasion, when there have been errors and people have suffered economic losses due to errors on their part, I also believe they have given compensation to injured parties in some instances. Its a good PR move and probably saved them some money from potential lawsuits and related costs. If they did give a Nodgrass card they can't prove or disprove was altered an "A" grade, how would a potential buyer know the grade wasn't because the card was trimmed or recolored or something other than having the "S" professionally removed? Someone working on the T206 set might just take that "A" grade to mean it is still a legitimate Nodgrass variation, and buy it to complete their set. And they'd probably pay some pretty good money for it also since they believed it to be a true Nodgraa variation/error. If they somehow later found out that the card was not in fact a true Nodgrass variation, I could see it getting back to PSA and them possibly being held liable for someone's potential losses from such a misleading card grade.

So now someone will probably say they can easily fix that problem by just putting the reason for the "A" grade on the flip. If I was PSA, I'd never do that either because that would be tantamount to stating you can't properly grade this card, and now you've put it on your product which is out in public for everyone to see and talk about. People may hear a rumor about something but, with no concrete evidence out there to support it, they often don't follow-through and do the research and things die down after a while. If PSA puts cards out there that state they can't tell if the card is legit or not, that creates damage to their reputation that is real, legitmate and out there for everyone to see. And think about this. If PSA truly can't tell if a card has has a letter removed from a person's name, and then puts an Authentic grade on it and explains that the reason for the grade is that they just don't know if it is one card or its variation, what difference is that really from all those Ebay auctions where the seller states the card was found in Grandpa's attic, it looks really old and it doesn't say Reprint on it anywhere? I can understand why PSA may not want to do anything with these cards going forward.

If there truly is a way for someone to alter cards like that and have it be virtually undetectable, what stops them from doing it with other such variations, like the 1957 Gene Baker error, the 1958 Pancho Herrara error or 1959 Spahn obscured date error cards?

I'm going out on a limb and guessing that if this alteration is possible and also virtually undetectable, I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing it with a laser somehow and actually burning off the print they don't want. Technology is always getting better and who knows what else they will come up with in the future to take advantage of people. And if that is the case, it spells even more issues for the hobby as people's confidence wanes and we lose folks that would otherwise be interested and help the hobby continue and grow. That is why I said that if true, this story could be the beginning of a bad turn of events for TPGs and the hobby in general.

Bob