Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T330-2 Piedmont Stamp Checklist (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=79255)

Archive 11-29-2005 11:44 AM

T330-2 Piedmont Stamp Checklist

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I am wondering if there is another checklist out there for the T330-2 set other than the Encyclopedia of Baseball cards? The reason I ask is that I have a stamp that is not on the list and wondering if there are others.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Lee<br />

Archive 11-30-2005 08:38 PM

Posted By: <b>RC McKenzie</b><p>Lee,<br /><br />The 1999 SCD has a list of 110 cards. What card did you find?

Archive 11-30-2005 09:36 PM

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I have a consolidated Encyclopedia of Basseball Cards from what I can tell it is copyright 1986. I have an Ames not listed, but I have been informed that he has since been added along with McGraw, Suggs, & Stovall. The person that informed me also has 2 others that are not yet listed (I will leave to him if he wants to say who they are). I believe that makes 110, but there seems to be at least 112.<br /><br />Lee

Archive 11-30-2005 10:21 PM

Posted By: <b>RC McKenzie</b><p>Lee,<br /><br />Thanks for the update. These cards/stamps are very tough to find from what I've seen and there are probably not many of those Ames' that you found, if they were unknown in 1986.

Archive 12-01-2005 05:17 AM

Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>question for the collectors....were any of these stamps issued with blank backs? or did they all have the text?

Archive 12-02-2005 10:10 AM

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>I have been emailed a more recent checklist that lists 116 stamps plus this gentleman has 2 uncataloged stamps so it seem the count is at 118.<br /><br />As Far as blank backs I have never seen any, it would be tough to be paper loss because there sure would not be much paper left.<br /><br />Lee<br />

Archive 12-02-2005 10:40 AM

Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>lee, i agree. i had never seen one either until the last sun times show in chicago.<br />it was a plain (blank) back. it was graded, so i couldn't feel it.<br />christy mathewson gai 4.5<br />the front was very nice, so maybe it was "downgraded" to a 4.5....i don't know

Archive 12-02-2005 01:38 PM

Posted By: <b>Millerhouse</b><p>I am the correspondent to whom Lee has been referring. The current SCD lists 116 different Piedmont Art Stamps. (Although its numbering goes to 119, three numbers are skipped.) I can vouch for the existence of all but 23 of those from my own collection. Assuming that all that SCD lists do actually exist, I can add two more to the list from my collection, Beck and the second T205 design of Barger, for a total of at least 118. I've been in touch with Bob Lemke and will forward copies of these for his verification.<br /><br />As to whether blank backed T330-2s exist, I would seriously doubt it. They were originally issued as stamps, with the adhesive applied over the writing on the backs. As a result, if you have one with the writing on the back wholly intact and an even, light brownish cast to the back, odds are that the stamp has never been glued down. While anything is possible, unless the Mathewson referred to above has a very smooth, glossy back and is some sort of preliminary printer's proof, odds are far better that it was previously glued down and its back stripped upon removal -- in which case it might deserve a GAI 1!<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Dan Gantt

Archive 12-02-2005 07:17 PM

Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>thanks dan. nice to hear from you. i thought the matty was skinned....but your opinion closes it for me. it should be a gai 1 no higher. <br />regards<br />andy<br />