Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Guess that grade? Jeters and ARod (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269286)

tonyo 05-22-2019 10:10 AM

Guess that grade? Jeters and ARod

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

anyone wanna take a stab at pre-grading these for me? Or give me some tips on what to look for on the foil cards with no borders?

I'm sending Bobby some cards for his bulk sub and am trying to determine value for the two 93SP's and if it's even worth it for the ARod and Pinnacle.

I never submitted before, and really never tried to pre-grade any of my cards. I read the PSA website for their criteria, but can't really see how that translates to the shiny cards other than "are the corners sharp?"

Zooming way in on my scans, it looks like the corners may be far from perfect, but I'm not really sure.

If anyone cares to offer an opinion, I'd appreciate it!

Tony

Here is a link to a google folder with the original scans. Hopefully the 93sp scans aren't too dark.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8Y?usp=sharing

Peter_Spaeth 05-22-2019 10:17 AM

Have you looked under a loupe? Best way on these I think to assess how much white is on the corners, and edges.

tonyo 05-22-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1880143)
Have you looked under a loupe? Best way on these I think to assess how much white is on the corners, and edges.

No loupe, but I believe I see white on some (or most) of the corners when looking at the big scans (I think).

one of the things I'm finding vague is: how much white (using that parameter as an example) knocks the grade down how many notches?

Yastrzemski Sports 05-22-2019 10:45 AM

It may help to shoot the photos against a dark background. It’s really hard to see a white corner against a white background with really small and really dark photos. It’s impossible to tell from what’s here. I would say that if you are detecting any defect at all that the SP Jeters are the only cards worth grading.

tonyo 05-22-2019 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
actually none of these corners look very good. so probably a waste of time to grade the pinnacle and ARod.

swarmee 05-22-2019 03:37 PM

Those are really nice close ups of the corners. I'm thinking the Jeters are around 6s with that much white.

tonyo 05-22-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1880267)
Those are really nice close ups of the corners. I'm thinking the Jeters are around 6s with that much white.

Thanks John, not bad all things considered

chalupacollects 05-23-2019 07:10 AM

I think on the SP's 7 to 8, foil condition being better than photo's (no scuffs or indents) and backs are decently centered, same with Pinnacle and a 7 on Arod… Worth it even of they come back lower...

irv 05-23-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1880260)
actually none of these corners look very good. so probably a waste of time to grade the pinnacle and ARod.

My thoughts as well. I am unsure the value of the A Rod card but I don't imagine it is worth anymore than the Pinnacle Jeter?

Grading fees/shipping, etc, certainly wouldn't be worth it, imo, after checking out the values on ebay for lower graded Jeters.

tonyo 05-23-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1880422)
My thoughts as well. I am unsure the value of the A Rod card but I don't imagine it is worth anymore than the Pinnacle Jeter?

Grading fees/shipping, etc, certainly wouldn't be worth it, imo, after checking out the values on ebay for lower graded Jeters.

According to PSA auction prices realized, the Jeter jumps from less than $100 for a PSA9 to around $500 for psa 10.

The Arod is like 3grand for a psa10. $200-$300 for psa 9, less than $100 for psa8.

I definitely wont send those two in!

irv 05-24-2019 10:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1880449)
According to PSA auction prices realized, the Jeter jumps from less than $100 for a PSA9 to around $500 for psa 10.

The Arod is like 3grand for a psa10. $200-$300 for psa 9, less than $100 for psa8.

I definitely wont send those two in!

I pulled this Jeter from a pack yrs ago and thought about sending it in as my 1st submission but looking at values, if it didn't come back a 10, it certainly wouldn't be worth it due to the exchange rate, shipping, etc, being up here in Canada. (I need to rescan this card, especially the front)

irv 06-28-2019 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Decided to rescan my Pinnacle Jeter. :)

Yastrzemski Sports 06-28-2019 05:21 PM

The 1993 Pinnacle Jeter. I’m looking at the back. I see a chip of white on the border below the mlbpa logo. I see white on the back corner near his glove in the photo. Not sure if that’s dust. It’s a nice card. May be a 9 and may be within parameters of a 10. It’s a risk. Also the corners are somewhat rounded but I think that’s normal for this issue. I usually send my cheap Jeter rookies in a bulk submission so it doesn’t cost so much per card. You may want to wait until someone on the board does a bulk submission so you can piggyback and not have to deal with all of the expenses for just one card.

lowpopper 06-28-2019 08:51 PM

Grade the 3 Jeters. Hold the Arod. The Jeter foil cards are worth throwing in a
holder in any grade and the Pinnacle is nicely centered. The Arod is not
nice enough condition to justify the grading expense.

irv 06-29-2019 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1893813)
The 1993 Pinnacle Jeter. I’m looking at the back. I see a chip of white on the border below the mlbpa logo. I see white on the back corner near his glove in the photo. Not sure if that’s dust. It’s a nice card. May be a 9 and may be within parameters of a 10. It’s a risk. Also the corners are somewhat rounded but I think that’s normal for this issue. I usually send my cheap Jeter rookies in a bulk submission so it doesn’t cost so much per card. You may want to wait until someone on the board does a bulk submission so you can piggyback and not have to deal with all of the expenses for just one card.

I assume you are talking about my card, Adam? I should have taken better care, prior to scanning, to ensure my card/sleeve/holder and my scanner screen were clean but with that being said, I really don't think this card would be worth sending in based on what I mentioned before?

I'm glad to have it so that is enough for me at this point.

I appreciate your thoughts, however.

Thanks. :)

tonyo 08-13-2019 06:49 AM

In case anyone is interested, my two SP's were deemed psa6 and psa7

didn't send my Pinnacle, but may throw it in on Bobby's next low dollar sub.

irv 08-13-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1908010)

Good for you. :)
It will be interesting to see what your Pinnacle comes back as if you decide to send it in?

irv 11-09-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1908010)

Curious, did you ever send your Pinnacle in, and if so, what did it grade if you have gotten it back already?

I see these cards are getting some serious love, but it also looks like all Jeter cards are receiving huge amounts of affection. :cool:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...0AAOSwzCZdwKkT

tonyo 11-11-2019 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1929930)
Curious, did you ever send your Pinnacle in, and if so, what did it grade if you have gotten it back already?

I see these cards are getting some serious love, but it also looks like all Jeter cards are receiving huge amounts of affection. :cool:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Pinnac...0AAOSwzCZdwKkT

Hey Dale,

Nope never sent it in. I ran it thru an eBay 7 day auction a week or two ago. Started at $15 I think, no bites.

tony

irv 11-12-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyo (Post 1930355)
Hey Dale,

Nope never sent it in. I ran it thru an eBay 7 day auction a week or two ago. Started at $15 I think, no bites.

tony

Thanks for letting me know, Tony. :)