Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Plastic pages from the 80s (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=308476)

YazFenway08 09-28-2021 09:29 AM

Plastic pages from the 80s

The majority of my sets are all in ultra pro pages, most sheets no older than 8-10 years old

I do, however, have some sets from the 70s/80s in the white-bordered Gerslyn Safe-t-durapages. None of these sheets are older than 1986.

My question….are those Gerslyn sheets AFTER all the PVC and chemical problems that I normally associate with other sheets in the late 70s and very early 80s?

I don’t see any discoloration, no “greasy feeling” or excessive sticking…and they have been stored in a climate controlled environment.

saucywombat 10-03-2021 07:57 PM

Related topic.

Anyone feel like there is a market for vintage pages? For the true completist.

You can't buy those Topps produced 9 pocket pages (that loaded on the sides instead of the top) any longer.

steve B 10-04-2021 10:19 AM

I have a small collection of hobby supplies. Not like I'd pay real money for them, but one time I bought a whole page of cards at a flea market instead of just the card I wanted so I could get the page too.

mrmopar 10-04-2021 07:04 PM

I believe I have some older ones from Pacific or Collectors Den or some other place that advertised their location along the edges. If they are still soft and clear, I'd hold on to them. I don't use any of the older pages, but have saved them just in case. I have dozens of empty binders loaded with 100s of empty pages. Seriously, what is wrong with me?!

I have tossed any of the thicker pages that are either really stiff (and sharp too!), yellowing or oily looking/feeling. I can't see there to be any value to those personally. Then again, people collect some weird stuff.

steve B 10-05-2021 02:27 PM

I did toss most of the old vinyl pages I had, but saved a couple of each.

Fleerfan 10-08-2021 02:53 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one who held on to a few of the old pages for nostalgia sake. I've also held on to a few different types of sheets that I had from the early '80s as I moved everything to Ultra Pro such as Enor, MVP-9T, Renata Galasso, Howard's Sport Supplies, Den's Collector's Den, and some no name side loading pages. Held on to a few of each to remember how I used to have my collection stored.

saucywombat 10-08-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleerfan (Post 2152122)
Glad to see I'm not the only one who held on to a few of the old pages for nostalgia sake. I've also held on to a few different types of sheets that I had from the early '80s as I moved everything to Ultra Pro such as Enor, MVP-9T, Renata Galasso, Howard's Sport Supplies, Den's Collector's Den, and some no name side loading pages. Held on to a few of each to remember how I used to have my collection stored.

Had some Renata Galasso pages in a vintage Topps binder I recently bought off of Ebay. Had a bunch of Topps pages that I assume probably came with the album.

Putting together a 1986 Topps set in the Ultra Pro Platinum Pages. 1986 seems to be spot on for the age of the binder, if my memory of 4th grade is still accurate. Big if.

Also remember a plastic baseball storage case that was similar to in style to what you would have stored your Star Wars or GI Joe in at the time. Which leads to memories of Battle Beasts, M.U.S.C.L.E men and Garbage Pail Kids.