Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Do You Care about the ASG? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=172496)

AbejasAsesinas 07-16-2013 10:57 PM

Do You Care about the ASG?

I've heard over the years that the ASG has lost its prestige. Do you agree? If so, how has the game lost its pedigree?

71buc 07-16-2013 11:03 PM

I still enjoy watching it but interleague play has taken some of it's luster.

AbejasAsesinas 07-16-2013 11:13 PM

Agreed. Inter-league play has a sense of competition, while the ASG seems more "buddy-buddy" than any regular season games, in my opinion.

bfrench00 07-17-2013 02:52 AM

I like it more since they put some meaning in it

pgellis 07-17-2013 07:28 AM

I think the reason that it has lost it's luster is the over-exposure of professional sports on tv today.
When I was a kid in the 1970s, I looked forward to the All-Star game because you never had a chance to see National League players until the playoffs/World series each year. Not every Red Sox game was on television when I was young and you obviously didn't have ESPN, cable tv, satellite tv, etc. which shows you highlights of every game on a loop for each morning.

Also, with interleague play and free agency, players move from team to team and league to league on a regular basis. Back before free agency, or in it's infancy, there was more league pride. It was National League players vs. American League players. Now players change teams and leagues too frequently, so that "Us vs. Them" mentality has been lost.

Leon 07-17-2013 08:55 AM

Most all of MLB and certainly the All Star Game mean almost nothing to me. I could pretty much care less.

barrysloate 07-17-2013 09:19 AM

What I don't like is all the pomp and ceremony. Why can't they just play baseball? Everything else is a distraction to me.

glenv 07-17-2013 10:21 AM

I get tired of the unwritten rules. Puig is exciting, but hasn't played enough so shouldn't be in the game? 38 games isn't enough, but Rivera has only pitched 34 innings. So less than four complete games is enough to be considered great??? (Sorry, but I'm still not a fan of the credit given to the closer...)

nebboy 07-17-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenv (Post 1159374)
I get tired of the unwritten rules. Puig is exciting, but hasn't played enough so shouldn't be in the game? 38 games isn't enough, but Rivera has only pitched 34 innings. So less than four complete games is enough to be considered great??? (Sorry, but I'm still not a fan of the credit given to the closer...)

(-1) Apples and Oranges -
these two stats have nothing to do with each other.

HRBAKER 07-17-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenv (Post 1159374)

:confused::confused::confused:

I love the ASG, I loathe the HR Derby and Chris Berman.

EvilKing00 07-17-2013 06:57 PM

lets look at this in a different light. Lets compare the ASG to the ASG's in hockey basketball and the pro-bowl. The MLB all star game is far and away the better of them all. Meaning most like an actual regular season game.

nebboy 07-18-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1159547)
:confused::confused::confused:

I love the ASG, I loathe the HR Derby and Chris Berman.

Best statement I have read in a long time (I loathe Chris Berman) they need to shut up and let us try to enjoy the event!!!!!

bfrench00 07-18-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilKing00 (Post 1159604)
lets look at this in a different light. Lets compare the ASG to the ASG's in hockey basketball and the pro-bowl. The MLB all star game is far and away the better of them all. Meaning most like an actual regular season game.

Im with you