Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What's the deal with the Dodgers? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244853)

frankbmd 09-22-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1703351)
Worked pretty well. Swept the Red Sox, cleaned Toronto's clock pretty good, then extra innings of Game 7 of the World Series. Mind you, this was all without their #2, #3, and for a period their #4 starters. They also didn't have their All Star LF, and their starting C was out until late in the World Series.

Jumped out to a 1-0 series lead in the World Series thanks to home field advantage, too. Couldn't finish, but that was largely due to the injuries mentioned above.

Additionally, if it does happen to be the Indians vs. a West Coast team, home field advantage would play a much larger role due to the strenuous travel across the US.

So what is the Indians' secret about traveling across the US less strenuously than their opponent?

KMayUSA6060 09-22-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1703353)
So what is the Indians' secret about traveling across the US less strenuously than their opponent?

My point about the travel is I'd rather have the first two games in Cleveland to try and get ahead in the series, rather than play on the road the first two games (maybe lose 1 or both) then make the trip cross country to try and come back in the series.

rats60 09-22-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1703351)
Worked pretty well. Swept the Red Sox, cleaned Toronto's clock pretty good, then reached extra innings of Game 7 of the World Series. Mind you, this was all without their #2, #3, and for a period their #4 starters. They also didn't have their All Star LF, and their starting C was out until late in the World Series.

Jumped out to a 1-0 series lead in the World Series thanks to home field advantage, too. Couldn't finish, but that was largely due to the injuries mentioned above.

Additionally, if it does happen to be the Indians vs. a West Coast team, home field advantage would play a much larger role due to the strenuous travel across the US.

1-3 at home in the World Series tells me that it doesn't matter if the Indians finish ahead of the Dodgers. Having the best record in the league is a big deal because of the wild card game. If home field was so important, the Indians wouldn't have choked games 6 and 7 at home.

rats60 09-22-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1703358)
My point about the travel is I'd rather have the first two games in Cleveland to try and get ahead in the series, rather than play on the road the first two games (maybe lose 1 or both) then make the trip cross country to try and come back in the series.

So why did the Indians split the first two at home, take 2 of 3 on the road and then lose two at home? Seems to me that they are just as good on the road as at home. Even slightly better this year in the regular season.

KMayUSA6060 09-22-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rats60 (Post 1703414)
1-3 at home in the World Series tells me that it doesn't matter if the Indians finish ahead of the Dodgers. Having the best record in the league is a big deal because of the wild card game. If home field was so important, the Indians wouldn't have choked games 6 and 7 at home.

For a small market team, it is also important for revenue. I believe the Indians generated an additional $60M last year with their deep playoff run. They parlayed that into Encarnacion.

Also, keep in mind there was a strong Cubs contingent at the World Series games in Cleveland due to the closer distance between the cities. If it were an East vs. West situation, it would be a bigger home field advantage.

rats60 09-22-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1703458)
Also, keep in mind there was a strong Cubs contingent at the World Series games in Cleveland due to the closer distance between the cities. If it were an East vs. West situation, it would be a bigger home field advantage.

Not at the game that I went to. With only 35K seats, there weren't a lot of extra seats available and they certainly didn't generate that much extra revenue for 1 extra home game.

ls7plus 09-25-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1700231)
So the Dodgers had perhaps the greatest two month run in baseball history, going something like 55-11, and immediately follow it with some of the worst baseball ever played, going 1-17. How is this possible?

If you're a fan of unusual stats, these back-to-back streaks have to be among the most bizarre ever. What's going on? Can anyone explain what is happening?

Of course. There is nothing at all wrong with the Dodgers--they simply descended back to reality, i.e., came back to earth. Among position players, they really only have 3 outstanding players--Bellinger, Seager and Turner--and other than Kershaw, the balance of the starters were pitching well above their norm. A lengthy losing streak is precisely how reality corrects for the statistical anomaly of their unlikely winning streak. In short, they never, ever were truly a 115-116 win team.

Hi Barry,

Larry

1952boyntoncollector 09-25-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls7plus (Post 1704308)
Of course. There is nothing at all wrong with the Dodgers--they simply descended back to reality, i.e., came back to earth. Among position players, they really only have 3 outstanding players--Bellinger, Seager and Turner--and other than Kershaw, the balance of the starters were pitching well above their norm. A lengthy losing streak is precisely how reality corrects for the statistical anomaly of their unlikely winning streak. In short, they never, ever were truly a 115-116 win team.

Hi Barry,

Larry

Well they did add Yu Darvish who they didnt have in 1h.......Kershaw and a healty Darvish is a tough series

People forget that 60% of the games in the regular season dont really matter when looking into the postseason. Those are games started by #3, #4, #5 and even #6 starters sometimes..

If you are telling me the Dodgers were 1-4 the last 5 games when Kershaw started that would mean something if there was a long losing streak

If the Dodgers only won 8 of their last 20 games..but those 8 wins were by Kersahaw and Darvish..would those 12 losses really mean anything? I know not that simple but you know what i mean. Who cares if they lost the last 5 games started by Brandon McCarthy

frankbmd 09-25-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1704333)
Well they did add Yu Darvish who they didnt have in 1h.......Kershaw and a healty Darvish is a tough series

People forget that 60% of the games in the regular season dont really matter when looking into the postseason. Those are games started by #3, #4, #5 and even #6 starters sometimes..

If you are telling me the Dodgers were 1-4 the last 5 games when Kershaw started that would mean something if there was a long losing streak

If the Dodgers only won 8 of their last 20 games..but those 8 wins were by Kersahaw and Darvish..would those 12 losses really mean anything? I know not that simple but you know what i mean. Who cares if they lost the last 5 games started by Brandon McCarthy

Kershaw's post season record to date isn't all that remarkable and Darvish as a Dodger isn't either. The Dodgers may win it all, but not because of your argument. There is usually a Brandon McCarthy type who plays a pivotal, unexpected role in a short series. Don Larsen was 3-21 with the Orioles (1954) before his World Series Perfecto in 1956.;)

Identifying which team the unexpected hero plays for before the playoffs is the problem.

1952boyntoncollector 09-25-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1704369)
Kershaw's post season record to date isn't all that remarkable and Darvish as a Dodger isn't either. The Dodgers may win it all, but not because of your argument. There is usually a Brandon McCarthy type who plays a pivotal, unexpected role in a short series. Don Larsen was 3-21 with the Orioles (1954) before his World Series Perfecto in 1956.;)

Identifying which team the unexpected hero plays for before the playoffs is the problem.

Understood, but in your argument it doesnt matter if the dodgers won their last 15 games of the year or lost the last 15 if we are just going on what we believe certain pitchers do in the postseason and talking about unknown surprises Last year though Kershaw was very good in the postseason by the way if not great.

Thus, basically it doesnt matter then if a first place teams ends up losing their last 50 games..if their best player are great in the post season and the many many unknown surprises of players who could suck in the regular season be great in the postseason

If kershaw and Darvish win 6 games in the post season etc, that would further show who cares how the #3 to #5 pitchers did for them in many losses..we shall see..

However my point was that if you think regular season record matters during the last 30 games or whatever i would be more concerned how the #1 and #2 pitchers did not the rest of them. In post season #1 pitchers pitch more often as well