Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   To My Fellow Card Collectors (with a warm thanks to my fellow Cracker Jack collectors (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=204215)

RichR 04-08-2015 04:11 AM

To My Fellow Card Collectors (with a warm thanks to my fellow Cracker Jack collectors

I have been fighting melanoma cancer since 2013 and after some headaches and partial vision loss I had a MRI on Monday which revealed I have 4 tumors in my brain. Doc says it is incurable and estimates I have around six months. I'm going to stay optimistic and fight it though!

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this board! You all treated me very well over the years!

Needless to say I'll be selling off my collection so that my wife and daughter (please put them in your prayers) can have the money raised. Bummed I missed the REA auction!

I'll be posting the actual cards I will be selling on the eBay auction section here. I have a bunch of moderns and I'm only 2 cards away from a complete set of the 1915 Cracker Jacks (Jackson and Johnson).

Thanks again all!

Rich Rockwood

h2oya311 04-08-2015 04:52 AM

Rich - terrible news, but I'm glad to hear that you have your priorities straight (despite the prognosis). My prayers are 110% with you and your family!

Stay strong! God bless!

Derek

buymycards 04-08-2015 05:26 AM

Rich

Hi Rich,
I'm sorry to hear about your bad news. It really makes me realize how unimportant cards are in the overall scheme of things.

I'm glad you have your family with you.

Rick

ullmandds 04-08-2015 05:34 AM

oh man Rich...I'm sorry to hear such sad news. MY thoughts are with you and your family...your avatar piqued my interest in old coins when I first saw it!

tiger8mush 04-08-2015 05:38 AM

Rich, sorry to hear of the news :(

How young is your daughter? Did she ever show an interest in any of your cards? Does she follow baseball or have a favorite team?

I looked thru my notes and back in '07 you got a 1914 CJ Heine Wagner Lionel Carter from me, then in '11 it was a CJ Zeider. Perhaps if you make a quick post of your cards, you could get strong offers from folks here so u don't have to share profit with ebay? Understandable though that time may not prohibit that path.

Glad to hear you are fighting cancer with a positive outlook. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. You will always be a part of the net54 family

dougscats 04-08-2015 06:50 AM

Rich,

I've never dealt with you, but you hit me in the heart.

You and your family are in my prayers.

Doug

Leon 04-08-2015 06:58 AM

Rich, stay strong and our prayers are with you and your family. There are new types of cancer fighting methods being learned every day. We will be here for you as much as we can. And in that respect, don't worry about the BST. I think we can do better for you. Don't sell stuff on ebay before you try it here and on this main page. It's management approved. We can all come together a little bit to help one of our own.

ps....if ebay is your choice for the cards we will make sure everyone on this board knows about them

gregr2 04-08-2015 07:12 AM

Rich,

Really sorry to hear this, stay strong. As Leon stated there are new breakthroughs happening everyday, keep the faith.

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Greg

Bpm0014 04-08-2015 07:23 AM

Although I do not know you, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Stay strong!

jason.1969 04-08-2015 07:31 AM

I'm sorry, Rich.

wazoo 04-08-2015 07:32 AM

Stay strong my friend. I'm so sorry to hear this news :( Prayer's sent your way.

scooter729 04-08-2015 07:33 AM

God bless you and your family, Rich - your friends here at Net54 will keep you in our prayers every day.

Scott

rjackson44 04-08-2015 09:08 AM

god bless stay strong

iowadoc77 04-08-2015 09:30 AM

Blessings

Rich,
I also don't know you, but know what cancer can do to families. Thank you for sharing your reality here. You and your family will be in my prayers every time i look at net54 (which is a lot, haha). Stay strong and I will pray for a miracle that only God can provide. Blessings to you and your family
Eric

bn2cardz 04-08-2015 10:03 AM

A prayer has just been said for your family.

RichR 04-08-2015 12:09 PM

Wow thanks all!

Maddog 04-08-2015 12:37 PM

Damn, there is too much bad news on the board lately:(
So sorry to hear such sad news Rich. I know a thing or two about cancer. Keep
your hopes up, they are coming up with new treatments every week. I will pray that one comes your way.

Jay Wolt 04-08-2015 12:41 PM

Stay strong Brother!

Al C.risafulli 04-08-2015 01:12 PM

It's always heartbreaking to read something like this. It's also a testament to your courage to come on and start this thread. That's the kind of courage needed to win the battle you've got ahead of you, and now there's an entire hobby in your corner, wishing you the best, and sending you positive thoughts and strength.

-Al

4815162342 04-08-2015 01:14 PM

Rich, I just prayed for you that you would be healed. Just remember that the doctors don't know everything; God is the one in control. Jeremiah 32:17

Beatles Guy 04-08-2015 01:21 PM

My thoughts are with you. Keep fighting!

Bicem 04-08-2015 01:37 PM

Oh man, so sorry to hear this Rich. Your concern over your family to me is a display of selflessness and great character. Very inspiring.

veleno45 04-08-2015 01:37 PM

God Bless you and your family Rich.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 04-08-2015 01:39 PM

Rich so sorry to hear this news. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family. You probably already know about this, but I saw an incredible piece on 60 minutes last week about new miracle cancer treatments for brain cancer using modified viruses that get injected directly into the tumors that break down the so called shield protecting the tumor from the immune system thereby allowing the immune system to kill the tumor. They've had incredible results with many cancer docs saying this is the biggest break through ever witnessed. Human trials are ongoing, praying that you can take part in something like that.

I'd like to give you 25% above vcp value for one of your cards as a small token.

Wishing you all the strength and bravery in your fight.

A.J.

DanP 04-08-2015 01:50 PM

Rich, I don't even know what to say. I'm praying for a miracle for you.
I was going to mention the same info as A. J. just posted. Hopefully you'll check into it if you haven't already.

Dan

conor912 04-08-2015 02:41 PM

Rich,
We've never met, but your post speaks volumes to your character.

Wishing you and your family the best.

Conor

slipk1068 04-08-2015 02:57 PM

Praying for you and your family.

barrysloate 04-08-2015 03:20 PM

Rich- it's a testament to your inner strength that you can come on the board and discuss frankly your medical condition. I don't think I would be able to handle it so well. Do everything you can for yourself, and keep a positive attitude. I know we will all be thinking of you and hoping you will receive some unexpected good news.

Jobu 04-08-2015 03:34 PM

Rich, I wish you the best of luck --- keep fighting my man!

I imagine you have been thoroughly exploring all of your options, but I also saw the segment that AJ mentioned and thought I would save you the trouble of finding the link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/polio-ca...-scott-pelley/

I agree with the others - if you need to sell your cards please post them here first as this community will be happy to help you out.

Cmount76 04-08-2015 06:11 PM

Be strong and those around you will be strong along with you. With that kind of strength, anything is possible.

Eric72 04-08-2015 06:14 PM

Hi Rich,

As a fellow cancer survivor - and yes, you ARE a survivor - I welcome you to PM me at any time to discuss what you are going through.

Initially, I wrote a long-winded entry to this thread which was meant for all to see. However, I ultimately decided it would be best to simply post the first sentence to let you know that I am here for you and leave it at that for now.

I truly hope that you are (relatively speaking, of course) doing well and hope to hear from you soon.

Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Best regards,

Eric Perry

Econteachert205 04-08-2015 06:21 PM

Rich, hope your auctions break records. Take care.

yanks4 04-08-2015 06:34 PM

Hello Rich,....Just saw your post and remembered our Cracker Jack posts and how much we shared our passion for them. Please know that all of us here are praying for you and sincerely hope that your inner strength will carry you through this difficult time. May God continue to help your family also.

God Bless, Marty Kohler

Bestdj777 04-08-2015 06:40 PM

Rich,

You and your family will be in my prayers. I hope you continue to fight and beat this.

Chris

PSACJ 04-08-2015 07:13 PM

Rich,

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. I will keep you and your family in our prayers. You and I have traded 1915 CJ's in the past and you have always been a stand up guy and a outstanding Cracker Jack Card Collector. I'm very saddened by this news and wish you nothing but the best. I truly hope things get better!!! :(

Andy M.

rainier2004 04-08-2015 07:24 PM

Fuck cancer...

You're one of the good guys Rich...thoughts and prayers my friend.

yanksfan09 04-08-2015 07:32 PM

Very saddened to hear this news. Stay strong and don't give up.

Wishing you and your family the very best.

grainsley 04-08-2015 07:42 PM

Take care...

We have not met, nor have we dealt with each other, but I wish you the best. If I had the power to delete three things in this world, these would be wiped off the face off the Earth...Cancer, Alzheimer's and War.

Stay strong, and prove them wrong.

Grant

Griffins 04-08-2015 07:53 PM

Rich- positive thoughts for your health and your family. We're all pulling for you.

e107collector 04-08-2015 08:30 PM

Rich,

Stay strong and keep fighting. We are all praying for you here.

Like Jim V said - "Don't give up, don't ever give up!!!

Hoping and praying for the best.

Tony

timn1 04-08-2015 09:55 PM

Hey Rich-

I am not acquainted with you personally, but I was deeply impressed by your brave and selfless post about your family - here's wishing you the best to beat cancer, but whatever happens, you have surely homered in the game of life.

Tim Newcomb

Rickyy 04-09-2015 01:01 AM

All the best to you Rich...

Ricky Y

LEHR 04-09-2015 01:18 AM

Stay strong. Prayers said for you tonight.

clydepepper 04-09-2015 02:22 AM

Rich - My thoughts are with you as you go through this difficult period. Being fairly new to the board, I don't think we have communicated before and that's my loss. I hope you find the strength to cherish every minute you are given.

Remember to loosen up before you go...I hear they are short on relievers up there!

God Bless You & Yours

gnaz01 04-09-2015 03:00 AM

Rich,

My thoughts are with you and your family during this time. Remember Philippians 4:13, as that gives me strength EVERY DAY to endure. Prayers going out this morning!!

Greg

T206Collector 04-09-2015 05:35 AM

Your post shows a tremendous amount of courage and love. Sell your cards here - let us all see them! - and I'm sure you'll realize exceptionally strong prices!

Stay strong. Think win.

GehrigFan 04-09-2015 05:39 AM

Rich, like so many others on this board, I , too, will be praying for you and your family. I pray you will be led to the best group of doctors and best care, will find solutions that destroy the doctor's initial prognosis for 6 months, and for peace and compassion for your family during this time. Live life to its fullest and pour yourself into your daughter's life.

Blessings,
Mark Anderson

RichR 04-09-2015 05:39 AM

Thanks all for the kind words, thoughts, an prayers. I'm a lucky guy! Shot just consider I don't think I have ever met any of you in person before.

A few notes:

A generous person here made me an offer I couldn't turn down for my Cracker Jack set so I think that is taking care of.

I did watch the 60 minutes show that some of you referred to but I forgot to ask the doctors about it but I will today during my appointment.

I do have a few cards from the 50s and 60s that I'll try and list later today in case anyone is interested.

Dario7707 04-09-2015 06:50 AM

Thoughts and prayers goes out to you and your family. Keep fighting my Brother.

mark evans 04-09-2015 06:56 AM

Both my granddaughter and her best friend are cancer survivors. One never knows. Take care.