Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   If you've ever wondered what a T206 PSA 10 looks like... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=257327)

A2000 07-10-2018 03:27 PM

That's one heckuva auction :eek:

Bigdaddy 07-10-2018 05:51 PM

One of the local guys here (Virginia) was involved in the original Southern Find of T206s. I think I even have one or two of the cards from that find - still raw. I'll try to get a photo/scan of them.

I'll see if I can get him to chime in here with some more details. I believe he is a member.

Baseball Rarities 07-10-2018 07:05 PM

Many of the T206 "Southern Find" cards were graded by SGC (SBC at the time?). There were many pristine cards - 92s, 96s and 98s. I need to find my notes, but if my memory serves me correctly, I remember multiples of McGraw finger in air, Keeler batting, Johnson portrait, Waddell pitching and Young side view. There were also some T3s. They were nice, but I do not think that they were in the same sort of condition as the T206s. Tony Galovich bought quite a few of the cards raw and sold them to some coin dealers who immediately had them graded.

Bigdaddy 07-10-2018 09:01 PM

Quote from one of the original buyers of the Southern Find:

"There were 5 of us that bought the original Southern find. We paid 6K back in 1988 or 1989. There were over 900 T206, 50 Turkey Reds, and a bunch of Mecca non-baseball cards. In addition, there were a bunch of coupons that were used to redeem for Turkey Reds. Most of the find was sold to Marco Rol of Southern Cards. I kept my share and sold off pieces over time. I took the Turkey Red Cy Young to the Chicago National around 1989 or 1990. There was a dentist from Florida that kept looking at the Young. He told me that I was overpriced. I told him I was firm on the price (I forgot the price, but I am thinking it was around $1800). Anyhow, he grabbed Bill Hughes of Executive Investments to look at my T3 Young. Bill told him that if he didn't buy it, he would. The dentist whipped out a bunch of AMEX travel checks and paid me."

boneheadandrube 07-10-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 1793888)
Quote from one of the original buyers of the Southern Find:

"There were 5 of us that bought the original Southern find. We paid 6K back in 1988 or 1989. There were over 900 T206, 50 Turkey Reds, and a bunch of Mecca non-baseball cards. In addition, there were a bunch of coupons that were used to redeem for Turkey Reds. Most of the find was sold to Marco Rol of Southern Cards. I kept my share and sold off pieces over time. I took the Turkey Red Cy Young to the Chicago National around 1989 or 1990. There was a dentist from Florida that kept looking at the Young. He told me that I was overpriced. I told him I was firm on the price (I forgot the price, but I am thinking it was around $1800). Anyhow, he grabbed Bill Hughes of Executive Investments to look at my T3 Young. Bill told him that if he didn't buy it, he would. The dentist whipped out a bunch of AMEX travel checks and paid me."

I bought the T3 Chance from that group of 50 for around $900 through the SCD. Later on Brian G. offered me some crazy amount for it and I had to sell it.
I always heard that there were more cards that were tracked down later on by Southern; part 1 from the mall show, and part 2 sometime after. The group this fellow is talking about sounds like part 1. I'd like to see how many were advertised by Southern in those ads...

barrysloate 07-11-2018 03:40 AM

6k for that collection? One T206 common graded a 10 would put you in the profit column. Simply amazing to see how the values have changed since then.

T206Collector 07-11-2018 04:43 AM

I’m still surprised that his hasn’t come up more on Net54 before, and just highlights that the hobby doesn’t know what people won’t share about their collections or collecting history. Expectations about things like population reports and cards in existence are always going to have the propensity to be wildly off based on large swaths of important collections never getting the public due they are obviously worth.

Leon 07-13-2018 08:19 PM

There is more we don't know than we do know, concerning populations, would be my guess. That is a lot of T206 9s and 10s in one auction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1793921)
I’m still surprised that his hasn’t come up more on Net54 before, and just highlights that the hobby doesn’t know what people won’t share about their collections or collecting history. Expectations about things like population reports and cards in existence are always going to have the propensity to be wildly off based on large swaths of important collections never getting the public due they are obviously worth.

boneheadandrube 07-14-2018 11:06 AM

Brian Goldners' collection was auctioned by Mile High a couple months ago, there were a whole bunch of Southern Find cards in SGC 92-96-98 in it. You can see a few of the diamond cut cards with big borders I was talking about in there also.

CMIZ5290 07-15-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1793601)
When was the last time PSA gave out a 10, let alone a 9 or even an 8, on a t206? Seems to me, all very high grade t206s have older serial numbers. I would rather buy the more-recently-graded 7, which often looks awfully close (and sometimes better) than 8s and even 9s, and save the $25k+. Nothing against the McGraw- it’s an absolute beauty!!- but at some point you are paying a lot of extra $$ for the flip. Regardless, the t206s coming up in Heritage are unreal. Totally out of this world.

I can’t wait to see what the McGraw trades for. I put the over/under at $80k, and I am taking the over.

Ryan, I hear you, but I would take the under....Here's the problem now with T206s graded at 8 or higher, there just aren't that many buyers anymore....You can buy a solid 8 for a fraction of the price, and I mean a fraction...Plus, the cards are near identical....