Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Autograph Authentication Advice / Forensic Analysis (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171132)

wk2 06-22-2013 03:16 PM

Autograph Authentication Advice / Forensic Analysis

Hi all,

So around a year ago I bought at a small estate auction a very old autographed cricket ball. The ball is dated 1865, inscribed with the name of two cricket clubs, and signed by a very famous player. Based on who the player is, I am 99.999% certain that this item is a fake. Also anytime I ask an expert (via email or in person) they immediately think it is fake. However, I sent pictures of the ball to a few cricket experts and they said that the stitching / cover matches other balls from that period (1860s).

Can anyone recommend an expert that could test the ink on the ball? What other experts could I have look at this item?

I believe that if the ink matches the time period that it would have to be real. I spent next to nothing on it (it cost me more to have JSA look at it then the actual price) and if the ball and the ink match that time period, why would anyone spend the time and resources to produce a counterfeit and then basically give it away?

Thanks for your help!

Mr. Zipper 06-22-2013 03:31 PM

Do you have any verified exemplars to compare to? Just because the ink is aged appropriately, it doesn't prove it is authentic. While a skilled forgery of a low value autograph may be unlikely, it could the an instance of some kid at the time writing the player's name on a ball.

shelly 06-22-2013 03:55 PM

Ink you name the century I will find you the ink. That in no way make that item close to being authentic because the ink is from that time periold. Please show the item.

travrosty 06-22-2013 05:57 PM

ink testing is expensive and can only rule out the autograph, not rule it in for sure.

RichardSimon 06-23-2013 07:32 AM

Ink testing is very expensive, in the thousands, and like everyone has said it is not a guarantee of authenticity.

wk2 06-26-2013 06:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

Apologies for not responding to your posts earlier... things have been hectic at work lately. Based on all of the responses I am going to go ahead and just say that this is a fake.The autograph is for Harry Wright and I know for a fact that there has never been an authentic ball or bat with his signature. Below are pics of the ball.

Since ink testing could not prove this to be authentic I definitely would not want to do it. Like I said in my previous post I bought this ball for next to nothing at an estate auction. Perhaps the owner of the estate was duped by a forger because I was the only one to bid on it at the auction and basically got it for the price of the ball. That was why I felt there might be a one in million chance that it was real.

If by looking at the pics you think I should get it checked out let me know- although I don't think it would be worth risking the $$.