Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Stay classy, Charlie Hustle. Pete Rose in trouble again. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243082)

NewEnglandBaseBallist 08-02-2017 08:32 AM

Stay classy, Charlie Hustle. Pete Rose in trouble again.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/b...ainted-n788551

Rose is fighting the allegation.

packs 08-02-2017 08:38 AM

Should put an end to his quest for the HOF.

samosa4u 08-02-2017 09:02 AM

If this is true, then a lot of things will happen:

1) No HOF
2) Jail
3) The value of his 1963 Topps RC will drop big-time.

Snapolit1 08-02-2017 12:18 PM

Just wondering, these allegations go back sometime. Has there been any disclosure of this before? First I've heard of. Pretty salacious story to be lying under wraps for decades.

Michael B 08-02-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1686331)
If this is true, then a lot of things will happen:

1) No HOF
2) Jail
3) The value of his 1963 Topps RC will drop big-time.

Statute of limitations on having sex with a minor are long expired based on the dates stated.

packs 08-02-2017 01:24 PM

Don't think that's the heart of the issue.....

Oh wait, you're referring to jail. I see.

Snapolit1 08-02-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1686444)
Statute of limitations on having sex with a minor are long expired based on the dates stated.

Some states don't have a statute of limitations on sex crimes against children. Others can start running many years after the fact.

lrspaulp 08-02-2017 04:20 PM

This guy is the biggest scumbag in baseball..........

irv 08-02-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1686427)
Just wondering, these allegations go back sometime. Has there been any disclosure of this before? First I've heard of. Pretty salacious story to be lying under wraps for decades.

Never heard of these accusations before, as I'm sure most haven't, but I am surprised more didn't come from it when they were being discussed in 2015?

I don't like, Rose, and likely never will, but I have no idea if any of this is true or just a smear campaign to insure he'll never make the HOF?

Jim65 08-02-2017 06:49 PM

He'll probably lie about it for years then admit its true to sell a book.

Topps206 08-02-2017 07:40 PM

It's probably true, unfortunately.

bravos4evr 08-02-2017 07:41 PM

I'm no Rose fan, but pulling this stuff out of the trash can 40+ years after the fact where no real evidence can be presented other than "he said,she said" is pretty low cheese.

cardsfan73 08-02-2017 07:50 PM

The allegations have been out there for some time now.

If you read the article it states that "The allegations were made public in sworn testimony submitted Monday as part of a federal defamation lawsuit ROSE FILED against John Dowd". Rose's suit claims that he was defamed when Dowd said in a 2015 interview with a Philadelphia radio station that he committed statutory rape of young girls during spring training.

I have no idea if these allegations are true or not, but I don't think Rose would have filed the suit if A) if the allegations were true or B) If he and his lawyer believed there was any way he could be prosecuted. Who knows though? Maybe he is such an ego maniac he thinks he can get away with it. If they are he can rot in hell.

When I first started watching baseball in 1981 I was a huge Pete Rose fan, even had one of those big Sports Illustrated posters of him hanging up in my room. I wanted to believe in old Charlie Hustle when he denied betting on baseball.. He denied it so long and then just came out and was like yeah I lied, I bet on baseball. Of course this was when had a book coming out so he wanted the publicity so he could make more money.

True or not, I have been done with Pete Rose for a long time now.

pclpads 08-02-2017 07:52 PM

Sniff, sniff . . . Is that the smell of Gloria Allred I'm picking up? :D

herbc 08-02-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1686603)
Sniff, sniff . . . Is that the smell of Gloria Allred I'm picking up? :D

Sniff..... Yep! :o

packs 08-03-2017 07:25 AM

I think you guys should take a little time to consider what impact abuse might have on a person. Waiting years or decades to report that abuse could just be how long it took the victim to process and understand what happened to them. It doesn't necessarily make claims suspicious.

NewEnglandBaseBallist 08-03-2017 08:06 AM

And so it begins:

Phillies disinvite Pete Rose from alumni weekend.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/08/02/...lumni-weekend/

Peter_Spaeth 08-03-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1686690)
I think you guys should take a little time to consider what impact abuse might have on a person. Waiting years or decades to report that abuse could just be how long it took the victim to process and understand what happened to them. It doesn't necessarily make claims suspicious.

That, and the trauma of having to relive it and risk being disbelieved are strong disincentives.

Topps206 08-03-2017 10:21 PM

Pete Rose is that person who never learns.

Nunzio11 08-04-2017 08:43 AM

A little embarrassing but looking at my memorabilia wall I have acquired quite the collection of modern day degenerate athletes. In a weird twist, every one of these items were purchased at charity events for children so that takes the sting out of it.

Pete Rose - gambling, statutory rape
Lawrence Taylor - drugs, statutory rape
Ray Lewis - obstruction of justice/murder
Terrell Suggs - domestic abuse
Magic Johnson - not quite degenerate but obviously promiscuous
Roger Clemens - steroids

I should package them up and sell as the Modern Day Degenerate Athlete Collection.

Time to clean up the collection!

KCRfan1 08-04-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunzio11 (Post 1686998)
A little embarrassing but looking at my memorabilia wall I have acquired quite the collection of modern day degenerate athletes. In a weird twist, every one of these items were purchased at charity events for children so that takes the sting out of it.

Roger Clemens - steroids

I should package them up and sell as the Modern Day Degenerate Athlete Collection.

Most players have been permitted to behave how they want, with little to no accountability for their actions.

All due to their athletic ability.

This behavior has long been laid from early years, thru high school and college and the pro's.

I suspect there are prevalent problems on college campuses and in the pro's that are unreported or kept quiet by one means or another.

Peter_Spaeth 08-04-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Roger Clemens - steroids

You need an O.J. and a Ray Rice and a Denny McLain and a Chad Curtis, for starters.

pclpads 08-05-2017 01:36 AM

Quote:

A little embarrassing but looking at my memorabilia wall I have acquired quite the collection of modern day degenerate athletes.

Your degenerative athlete wall is incomplete w/o something of Wilt and his 20K female conquests. :D

Section103 08-05-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Roger Clemens - steroids

Might be worth noting that Clemens has been discussed in similar circles as Rose is now?

Peter_Spaeth 08-06-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1687368)
Your degenerative athlete wall is incomplete w/o something of Wilt and his 20K female conquests. :D

Alleged, that is.

Sean 08-06-2017 03:24 PM

Maybe Rose can sign a few baseballs "I'm sorry I had sex with a minor."