Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Get'em while there HOT (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213910)

Rookiemonster 11-10-2015 08:06 AM

Get'em while there HOT

What retired MLB players card should be hoarded now before the hall of fame comes calling .

Ken Griffey jr

Bonds ?
Clemens ?
Sosa??
Rose?
Piazza ? :rolleyes:

bnorth 11-10-2015 08:24 AM

All of them you mentioned for sure. Start buying now and remember bid high and bid often because they will go up in price.

jasondeanmartin 11-10-2015 08:56 AM

Griffey would seem to be the safest bet from that list.

alfredoleal2001 11-10-2015 09:42 AM

For me the best bet is Griffey

Rookiemonster 11-10-2015 09:48 AM

Out of this group the best is Griffey but who ever else do you think the rest were question marks cause it a what to you think on them . Griffey is the only one I now for sure

TAVG 11-10-2015 11:58 AM

Griffey for sure.

Piazza maybe.

packs 11-10-2015 01:04 PM

Is there really money to be made though?

Rookiemonster 11-10-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1471074)
Is there really money to be made though?

No doubt ! I already bought 1989 fleer glossy Griffey rookie for 15 dollar PSA 8

And a complete set as well that Griffey is a PSA 9 I got the set for 25 . This was 3years ago on the PSA 8 and 1 yer ago one the set . The PSA 8 now sells for 50 and the 9 sells for 200 . So the idea of this thread is base on this .

If you can think of other players that will get the call to the hall in a few years . Your best bet is to get on board now .

Come on guys nobody has any guys they can think of ?

bn2cardz 11-10-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1471092)
No doubt ! I already bought 1989 fleer glossy Griffey rookie for 15 dollar PSA 8

And a complete set as well that Griffey is a PSA 9 I got the set for 25 . This was 3years ago on the PSA 8 and 1 yer ago one the set . The PSA 8 now sells for 50 and the 9 sells for 200 . So the idea of this thread is base on this .

If you can think of other players that will get the call to the hall in a few years . Your best bet is to get on board now .

Come on guys nobody has any guys they can think of ?

If you are talking about investing prior to them being part of the HOF talk shouldn't the title be "Get them while they're not hot"?

People that seem like sure locks when they are on the ballot:

Pujols
Jeter
Miguel Cabrera
Ichiro
Mariano Rivera

Rookiemonster 11-10-2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1471099)
If you are talking about investing prior to them being part of the HOF talk shouldn't the title be "Get them while they're not hot"?

People that seem like sure locks when they are on the ballot:

Pujols
Jeter
Miguel Cabrera
Ichiro
Mariano Rivera

Yeah but it didn't sound as catchy . Only jeter and Rivera are retired . But those are some good ones . To bad by me the sell with premiums . In NJ/NY a reg topps jeter rookie sells for 10 to 15 .

packs 11-10-2015 02:52 PM

Ah ok I see what you're saying. Get them now and then sell for premium during induction year. I thought we were talking about long run. I don't see the premiums holding 20 years from now, but who knows.

Rookiemonster 11-10-2015 04:30 PM

Nailed it

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1471130)
Ah ok I see what you're saying. Get them now and then sell for premium during induction year. I thought we were talking about long run. I don't see the premiums holding 20 years from now, but who knows.

I don't see the premium holding up on most, but some rarities may . Rivera is looking lower the his retirement year . I picked up 5 packs of 1992 bowman pizza, Rivera , chipper all in one set . I got the packs for a good price .:cool:

almostdone 11-10-2015 09:11 PM

He was already mentioned and I know he is still active but I feel Ichiro would be one of the biggest up swing potentials. He has faded from the spotlight in Miami and doesn't get the national buzz he used to so picking up his stuff now is easy. His rookies were produced after the production slow down started so it's not as cheap and accessible as 91 Topps but not 1/1 either.

Once he does retire in a year or so he will have to wait five more for induction. That's at least six or seven years from now until he is in the main spotlight of the hall of fame.

Once induction comes all the memories of his unreal hitting in a time when PED numbers were rampant. All those consecutive 200+ hit years and on top of that the first Asian born HOFer will make his stuff go through the roof.

All just speculation but seems pretty plausible to me.
Drew

packs 11-11-2015 08:45 AM

I think you're right about Ichiro. Even Hideo Nomo's stuff still sells strong. Ichiro's signature cards are pretty expensive now but I'm with you in thinking they'll skyrocket once he gets in. Especially if he chooses to live in Japan, which would make him much less accessible.

Sierra79 11-11-2015 03:43 PM

The other thing about Ichiro is there is obviously a strong market for his cards from collectors in Japan as well - not just in the good old us of a. I've sold stuff of his on eBay in the past and was surprised by the number of bids coming from Japan.

JustinD 11-12-2015 07:40 PM

Seems to me like the boat has sailed on Griffey. Sales are currently higher than they have been in years because of the HOF speculation.

It's a done deal that he will be elected and ebay will be swamped in Griffey. I think there may be a small premium to make but if you are just now getting on this ship, you are a year late.

Jeter is way overrated and to me a more regional superstar to east coasters. There might be room on some of the more rare rookies (inaugurals, etc.) in the future.

Ichiro sounds like the highest upside I have heard mentioned. Solid pick.

bn2cardz 11-13-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1472105)
Jeter is way overrated and to me a more regional superstar to east coasters.

+1

I find it interesting that he is being touted by the best SS in history by some. Yet Alan Trammell isn't in the HOF and they have a similar WAR over the same career length.

Trammell WAR: 70.4
Jeter WAR: 71.8

The biggest difference is that Jeter was only a good hitter not a fielder where his WAR number was actually diminished by his fielding. Trammell was a better rounded player.

Trammell - dWAR: 22 / oWAR: 62.4
Jeter - dWAR: -9.7 / oWAR: 95.5

Jeter's low dWAR doesn't even rank him in the top 1000 SS of all time. Where is oWAR does rank 20th. Trammell ranks 34th dWAR and 81st oWAR. To me that is a more rounded player. Fans have a tendency to reward hitting over fielding. Even when people talk about the most undeserving HOF players they are typically talking about players that were better fielders than hitters.

As a final note Trammell ranks 11th in JAWS whereas Jeter is 12th and Trammell's WAR7 (his best 7 WAR years) ranks him at 8th and Jeter is only at 42.2.

Jeter is a HOFer, but he won't be the best SS in the HOF.

packs 11-13-2015 10:37 AM

I don't see how anyone can honestly say that Jeter was a regional superstar. He was the face of baseball. The Yankees were a dynasty and he was the captain of that dynasty. Everyone knew his name and he was the center of attention any time he was around.

JustinD 11-14-2015 07:01 AM

Jeter will be a first ballot HOF, but outside of Yanks fans and the ladies, I think many reasonable people say the numbers don't lie. He's definitely put on a higher pedestal than he would have aquired with the same stats but the looks of Gorman Thomas and playing on the Marlins.

Bored5000 11-14-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1472570)
Jeter will be a first ballot HOF, but outside of Yanks fans and the ladies, I think many reasonable people say the numbers don't lie. He's definitely put on a higher pedestal than he would have aquired with the same stats but the looks of Gorman Thomas and playing on the Marlins.

The numbers don't lie? Jeter is sixth all-time in hits and played on five World Series champions. The only guys ahead of him on the all-time hit list are Rose, Cobb, Aaron, Musial and Speaker.

bn2cardz 11-14-2015 01:49 PM

Nobody has said he wasn't worthy of the HOF, but his fame has been impacted by the team he was on.

His 6th on the hit list was due to his amount of AB he got. He is 7th on the AB career list. His WAR still falls short of being the best SS of all time. Yet his card prices are higher than any other player of the 90s/2000s. 29 players were on 5 WS teams only 5 (Mariano and Jeter will make it 7) are HOF members so that is far from a metric used to determine greatness of a player.

The numbers that speak for themselves are his WAR and JAWS.

Bored5000 11-14-2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1472710)

The numbers that speak for themselves are his WAR and JAWS.

I am not anti-SABR stats; they have their place and are interesting to look inside the numbers. But the eyes of a significant portion of the population are still going to glaze over when you begin touting WAR and JAWS. What percentage of fans do you think can accurately explain what JAWS is or what it measures?

One gigantic weakness with JAWS is that it makes no attempt to account for postseason play, awards won, leagues led in important categories, and career milestones. Those accomplishments that are better handled via the Bill James Hall of Fame Standards and Hall of Fame Monitor metrics.

packs 11-16-2015 09:22 AM

I got inspired by this thread last night and picked up an Ichiro:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...psuthhwdi6.jpg

Rookiemonster 11-16-2015 03:09 PM

Awesome pick up Packs!!!

Tripredacus 11-18-2015 07:45 AM

Nowadays it seems that players entering the HoF do not get an value increase on their cards. Maybe not even on their autos or memorabilia. Maybe it is because all the more recent players are still fresh in our minds. We do not need to be told or reminded why the player was good.

MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR 02-20-2016 11:53 AM

A few current Red Sox who interest me.
David Ortiz if he will be first DH to make Hall of Fame!
Dustin Pedroia maybe if he stops getting injured.

WillBBC 02-24-2016 08:47 AM

I'm a Jeter apologist but I wish people would stop ignoring how rare it is to find a guy like Jeter. How many players can you pencil in at the same position for 19+ seasons and in the vast, vast, vast majority of those seasons end up with an all star caliber hitter at that position? I feel like that is overlooked more than anything. There is so much value in not having turnover at a key position up the middle.

Yes, his defense was bad and the dWAR numbers bare that out--but I think just knowing that one of your most important cogs is accounted for night in and night out more than makes up for it. The 300 average and .370+ OBP night in and night out for 19 full seasons more than made up for it.

As for the question at hand--I don't see an increase for anybody after a HOF nomination from the 80s or 90s outside of Ichiro, for reasons already mentioned.

High grade SP Jeter rookies will continue to climb as 9s are still damn near impossible to find in a PSA holder but I don't see anything else spiking at any point.

packs 03-01-2016 03:47 PM

I think Mariano Rivera's status in the hobby will only grow over time. That might just be me, but the closer as a position will only rise in cache. I think the closer could one day become the highest regarded and most respected player on a team. That said, no one will ever be better than Rivera. As a new wave of collectors enter the hobby who never saw baseball during a time when there wasn't a closer, they will probably hold Rivera in an elite class.