Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1st Generation Psa flips (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=210295)

NorthOfBoston 08-19-2015 10:05 AM

1st Generation Psa flips

Hey all, new to the site, so forgive me if this already has a thread somewhere.

I've recently gotten back into collecting, after about 25yrs away from it. I've sent a bunch of my cards to PSA, as well as made several purchases of PSA graded cards. I've read the thread on this site regarding the changes over the years in the PSA flip, and was curious: how tough is it to find a graded card with the original flip? The style with the slashes through the zeros. It doesn't seem as though I see a lot of them up for auction, so I'm wondering how rare they are, as well as if they add any actual value to the card itself?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Peter_Spaeth 08-19-2015 10:13 AM

They don't add value. There are relatively few left probably due to reholdering etc. but I wouldn't call them "rare."

scooter729 08-19-2015 10:22 AM

Welcome aboard!

I personally have found some folks feel it may hurt value, as PSA may have had looser grading standards at the time. So, many people have had their cards in those old flips re-holdered to the modern flip and case.

Here's one example - identical cards (PSA 10 Marino rookie) sold by the same seller, ending one minute apart. (Mine was the old flip, and I didn't shill it, but I don't think that was the issue here!)

Old Flip

New Flip

Price was $150 apart ($1480 vs. $1630), with the old flip selling for less. I've seen many examples of similar, so I think people may seek to re-holder those older flips to get away from the perception that grading standards may have been weaker in the beginning.

travrosty 08-19-2015 10:25 AM

it doesnt make a difference because any of them in the old holders are still in the old holders, and once a psa 10, always a psa 10 as long as its in the holder.

NorthOfBoston 08-19-2015 06:43 PM

Thanks guys.

I have to say, for a hobby that is often so focused on authenticity and scarcity of quality product, I find it odd that these are not more in demand. While I understand the re-holdering over the years in order to have the most updated style and best quality grade, it seems that this only enhances the appeal. From what I understand, these flips were only produced in 1991 & '92. How many cards could they have graded in that time frame? It was such a new idea, that it couldn't have been many. Add the re-holdering, and it seems as though the number in circulation must be fairly low relative to the total cards graded over the past 23-4 years.

Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts.

Peter_Spaeth 08-19-2015 06:46 PM

Why would anyone care about a rare FLIP?? I just don't see it.

bnorth 08-19-2015 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1444112)

I got this card 100% because of the rare flip. Yes I collect weird stuff.

drcy 08-19-2015 07:48 PM

I believe PSA is a tougher grader now, so an original flip may lower the value not raise it.

CW 08-19-2015 08:21 PM

Welcome back to the hobby!

1. Collect what you enjoy, what you like, what moves you, etc.

2. Always buy the card, not the holder.

darwinbulldog 08-19-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1444149)
Welcome back to the hobby!

1. Collect what you enjoy, what you like, what moves you, etc.

2. Always buy the card, not the holder.

And when those two contradict each other?

CW 08-19-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1444178)
And when those two contradict each other?

Well, then you're doing it wrong. :)

ls7plus 08-20-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1444112)

I have a 1960 Leaf Duke Snider in an old Hager holder and flip, Pete, and like it because it simply takes me back to my early days of collecting. Of course, considering its' origin, there might be some very significant problems getting it graded by either PSA or SGC, but that really doesn't concern me, nor does that particular card's value at the moment. It's just part of the hobby's history.

Highest regards,

Larry

Peter_Spaeth 08-20-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls7plus (Post 1444485)
I have a 1960 Leaf Duke Snider in an old Hager holder and flip, Pete, and like it because it simply takes me back to my early days of collecting. Of course, considering its' origin, there might be some very significant problems getting it graded by either PSA or SGC, but that really doesn't concern me, nor does that particular card's value at the moment. It's just part of the hobby's history.

Highest regards,

Larry

Yeah good old ASA or Accugrade or whatever Hager called it. If you're into historical relics then you need one of the old SBC holders too.