Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What's Your Opinion on the MLB HOF's Vet Committee changes? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=225896)

clydepepper 07-23-2016 06:17 PM

What's Your Opinion on the MLB HOF's Vet Committee changes?

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. – Baseball’s Hall of Fame has again revamped its veterans’ committees to increase consideration for more contemporary players, managers, umpires and executives.

Under the change announced Saturday by the Hall’s board of directors, there will be separate committees for Today’s Game (1988-2016), Modern Baseball (1970-87), Golden Days (1950-69) and Early Baseball (1871-1949).

Today’s Game and Modern Baseball will vote twice every five years, Golden Days once every five years and Early Baseball once every 10 years.

“There are twice as many players in the Hall of Fame who debuted before 1950 as compared to afterward, and yet there are nearly double the eligible candidates after 1950 than prior,” Hall chair Jane Forbes Clark said in a statement.

“Those who served the game long ago and have been evaluated many times on past ballots will now be reviewed less frequently.”

Today’s Game will vote in 2016, ’18, ’21 and ‘23; and Modern Baseball in 2017, ’19, ’21 and ’23. Golden Days will vote in 2020 and ’25, and Early Baseball in 2020 and ’30.

The Hall’s Historic Overview Committee will decide which committee will consider those players who span eras, based on the time or place of their most indelible impression.

Since 2010, the Hall had established three veterans committees: Pre-Integration Era (1871-1946), Golden Era (1947-72) and Expansion Era (1973-2016). No one was elected by the Pre-Integration Era committee in December.

In Addition, the Hall eliminated the one-year waiting period between a player’s last appearance on the Baseball Writers’ Association of America ballot and his veterans committee debut for consideration.

The Hall also said active executives 70 or older may be given consideration, up from 65.

Committees will remain at 16 people, with a vote of at least 75 percent needed for election. The ballot size will be 10 for each committee, it had been 12 for Expansion Era and 10 for the others.

chaddurbin 07-23-2016 08:24 PM

Rip bill dahlen n Ed reulbach.

clydepepper 07-23-2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1564967)
Rip bill dahlen n Ed reulbach.

...and Minnie Minoso & Luis Tiant

Now, that's a shame!

...and EARLY Baseball extended thru 1949 -Are they trying to make us ALL feel older, or what?

FourStrikes 07-23-2016 10:47 PM

MORE committees - MORE voters - MORE compartmentalization ???

if it ain't broke...

JMO

the 'stache 07-23-2016 11:02 PM

Jesus Christ. Major League Baseball just can't get out of its own way. It's a superior sport to football, basketball and hockey, yet the league is run by chickens running around with their heads cut off. They don't know how to market the game. And World Series games later in the evening, when kids can't watch, is a mistake that they never seem to rectify. Ratings and money are fine, but if you keep cutting off the younger generation, there won't be anybody to give MLB money, or watch the game.

And, yes, more committees is what the Vet Committee needed. More compartmentalization. Uh huh.

Joy. :rolleyes:

Exhibitman 07-23-2016 11:40 PM

Today's Game Committee AKA the Bonds and Clemens second chance committee.

mighty bombjack 07-24-2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1564998)
Today's Game Committee AKA the Bonds and Clemens second chance committee.

I agree. I have long argued that these guys would get in by committee, something I have called the "PED Era Committee," but knew they would never actually call it that. "Today's Game Committee" is a nice euphemism.

bravos4evr 07-25-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1564996)
Jesus Christ. Major League Baseball just can't get out of its own way. It's a superior sport to football, basketball and hockey, yet the league is run by chickens running around with their heads cut off. They don't know how to market the game. And World Series games later in the evening, when kids can't watch, is a mistake that they never seem to rectify. Ratings and money are fine, but if you keep cutting off the younger generation, there won't be anybody to give MLB money, or watch the game.

And, yes, more committees is what the Vet Committee needed. More compartmentalization. Uh huh.

Joy. :rolleyes:

MLB has nothing to do with the HOF. They are a private company that has decided that more modern players need to be in. I think it's a good plan myself. (and the original vet committee was a "good ole boys" club that put too many undeserving guys in because they were buddies.

packs 07-25-2016 02:58 PM

Why would today's game need a special vote when it is already voted on every year?

mighty bombjack 07-25-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1565416)
Why would today's game need a special vote when it is already voted on every year?

See exhibitman's and my posts above

GaryPassamonte 07-26-2016 04:09 PM

Grouping the 1871-1949 period into one committee is ludicrous and having this committee meet only once every 10 years is doubly ludicrous. The Baseball HOF has made a bad process even worse. The HOF is becoming more and more like a bad politician trying to appease powerful lobbyists than an organization trying to do what is best for the selection process.

Topps206 08-28-2016 01:45 PM

I hate it. The Veterans' Committee upsets me and I am irritated by the likes of Jane Forbes Clark and Joe Morgan.

Bill Dahlen, Sherry Magee, Gavvy Cravath and Larry Doyle all belong in the HOF. Wake up!