Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Network 54 Dinner – Thank You for Having Meat (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=90453)

Archive 08-01-2008 09:15 AM

Network 54 Dinner – Thank You for Having Meat

Posted By: <b>Joshua Leland Evans</b><p>Last night was the Network 54 Dinner<br />I was asked to speak and must admit had a little bit of consternation about doing so<br />I have gotten some rough treatment on the board at times (not that in my position I don’t warrant it nor deserve it) so I was a little bit nervous going in<br /><br />I had a blast<br />You made me feel welcome, you were a wonderful audience and the overall atmosphere was simply fun<br />It was about sharing this thing that we all love to do and in many ways was truly a celebration<br />Phil Garry did a short quiz on hall of famer’s rookie issues where everyone shouted out their answers<br />Brian Wentz shocked me with his knowledge (as I told him I always thought he was just a “money guy” but he was a true hobbyist)<br />Rick Klein was amazingly strong in post war issues<br />Corey Shanus was the only damper accosting me for mispronouncing his name <br />Just kidding, he good-naturedly corrected me and besides he still owns the best piece in the hobby so I have to be nice to him<br /><br />I want to think Leon most of all for making me feel very much at home and doing a great job putting the event together<br /><br />But most importantly I must say the stir fry was as good as the voluminous published reports (lots of chicken)<br />I must apologize to the chef who had the misfortune of making mine <br />I controlled most of his moves including literally reaching over and working the pan myself when he was working on the other guy’s food <br />All I had was two bucks to tip him and he would not even look at me <br />Oh well, you can’t have everyone like you<br /><br />Josh Evans<br />Lelands.com<br /><br /><br />edited title to be correct number

Archive 08-02-2008 02:31 PM

Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Thanks so much for speaking at our Dinner. You don't know how many folks came up to me afterwards and told me how much they enjoyed your speech. Thanks too for the plug for Scott's and my auction....take care and hope to see you next year too......leon

Archive 08-03-2008 11:46 AM

Posted By: <b>bcornell</b><p>Josh's speech was top notch and thoughtful. One point he made that I remember was that there are still lots of unknown collections, contrary to the popular notion, but it takes diligence to find them and auctioneers are the best at that. Also, running an auction isn't the cash-generating machine that many suppose it to be - commissions are what's required to stay afloat. Those have been on the demand side (i.e., for buyers) in the last few years, but that could change.<br /><br /><br />Bill