Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   US Open (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273380)

Nunzio11 09-08-2019 08:25 PM

US Open

Given Week 1 of the NFL season not sure how many people were focused on the US Open final but Nadal vs Medvedev was an incredible match. 4 hour 50 minute, 5 set epic match. The athleticism from both was crazy but Nadal is legendary at this point with 19 grand slams.

tedzan 09-08-2019 09:01 PM

US Tennis Open

It was an exciting tennis match. I was rooting for Medveded, so I was disappointed with the result. He had the odds and the NY crowd against him,
and he came within two mistakes from winning the match.

1st....The last point in the 2nd set which won that set for Nadal was long. Medvedev should have challenged the call.

2nd....Medvedev misjudged the 2nd play in the very last game. He should have volleyed it away (instead he let Nadal's passing shot land in).

TED Z

T206 Reference

Jim65 09-09-2019 06:15 AM

I was glued to the TV, incredible match, I like Nadal but at the end I was rooting for Medvedev.

Saturday when Serena came back from 5-1 in the 2nd set to make it 5-5, I really thought she was going to win the match but she lost the next 2 games.

Jim65 09-09-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunzio11 (Post 1915445)
Given Week 1 of the NFL season not sure how many people were focused on the US Open final but Nadal vs Medvedev was an incredible match. 4 hour 50 minute, 5 set epic match. The athleticism from both was crazy but Nadal is legendary at this point with 19 grand slams.

Imagine when Sampras retired with a record 14, now 3 players have gone past him.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-09-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1915467)
I was glued to the TV, incredible match, I like Nadal but at the end I was rooting for Medvedev.

Saturday when Serena came back from 5-1 in the 2nd set to make it 5-5, I really thought she was going to win the match but she lost the next 2 games.

yeah I thought that was the beginning of a comeback for the ages down a set and 5-1. Funny she's generally played great in these tourneys until the final. Her unforced errors seemed off the charts. I wonder if she's in her head too much about breaking the record.

Peter_Spaeth 09-09-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1915480)
yeah I thought that was the beginning of a comeback for the ages down a set and 5-1. Funny she's generally played great in these tourneys until the final. Her unforced errors seemed off the charts. I wonder if she's in her head too much about breaking the record.

She's 37 years old and was playing a fearless kid with nothing to lose who was just crushing the ball. Her (Bianca) pep talk to herself when the second set went to 5 all was priceless -- just keep the god damn ball inside the court.

Serena may be the greatest individual athlete of them all but she really should just lose graciously and spare us the melodrama.

Jim65 09-09-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1915529)

Serena may be the greatest individual athlete of them all but she really should just lose graciously and spare us the melodrama.

The whole thing last year with Naomi Osaka was a disgrace on her.

Peter_Spaeth 09-09-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1915675)
The whole thing last year with Naomi Osaka was a disgrace on her.

Yeah.
Her ego is just too big for her to control. All she had to do was congratulate the young woman who beat her and offer some platitudes like she was better than me today. Instead, it's Serena this, Serena that, Serena didn't show up today, Serena's never played worse, I wasn't Serena today, blah blah blah. You have to hand it to the Big Three men, as best I can tell they are all modest in victory and gracious in defeat.

KCRfan1 09-09-2019 11:23 PM

I couldn't agree more Peter. Serena is very good at tennis, and while it doesn't happen often, I love watching her lose.

clydepepper 09-10-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1915468)
Imagine when Sampras retired with a record 14, now 3 players have gone past him.

Well, we've been watching, arguably, the three best players of all-time - at the same time...you can't say that about any other major sport.

- and I can't believe I missed this one...ARG! :mad: