Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Is Alex Rodriguez becoming a HOFer after his career? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=256860)

PowderedH2O 06-29-2018 11:10 AM

Is Alex Rodriguez becoming a HOFer after his career?

Obviously, A-Rod has HOF numbers. Obviously, voters have not been kind to steroid users. Barry Bonds was never a media darling. He was rude and not very likeable. Roger Clemens could be difficult on occasion. Honestly, A-Rod didn't come across as very friendly while he was active.

A-Rod is now part of the media. He is engaging and friendly. He is with JLo. Everywhere he goes he is smiling and intelligent and articulate. Does he get a little more love because of the fact that he is showing so much more personality than he did while playing?

dgo71 06-29-2018 11:54 AM

That's certainly what he's banking on.

packs 06-29-2018 12:03 PM

Considering his HOF candidacy would be based on his career, during which he cheated, lied about it, and opted out of his contract during a World Series game.....I'd say there's no love gained.

JustinD 06-29-2018 12:04 PM

I would say he is no doubt a Hall of Fame member as is.

I have always thought it is the "Hall of Fame" not "Hall of players that meet my personality and moral guidelines". Leaving the best out negates the importance and value of it's significance as an achievement. There is already admitted racists, gamblers, drug and steroid users in the Hall as is, why are we uppity now?

That said, I agree, he has a plan that is working.

Peter_Spaeth 06-29-2018 01:00 PM

I think he will have to endure a few years' punishment at least. Like Bonds and Clemens, eventually he will get in. As for J Lo, she'll probably drop him like she has every other guy.

drcy 06-29-2018 01:09 PM

ARod was always considered a phony, even back here in Seattle when he was with the Mariners-- and that's exactly why so many people disliked and dislike him. He couldn't tell a sincere personal truth because he probably even know how. Even when he "fessed up" to doping in a calculated interview, he was obviously crocodile tears lying about it-- and still doping. He lied about the duration and was then caught again! That he does pandering, calculated smiley stuff in the media and on television may just enhance that reputation.

Albert Belle may have been a rude jackass, but at least he was being himself :)

Peter_Spaeth 06-29-2018 01:22 PM

Unlikeable man even aside from the steroids. There is an anecdote I read, it may have been in Torre's book, about how when Alex first came to the Yankees Torre overhears him ordering a clubhouse boy to get him a cup of coffee. Torre tells him, and one can imagine the real conversation included an expletive, Alex, get your own cup of coffee. Supremely talented player, but no class.

PowderedH2O 06-29-2018 02:43 PM

I was watching A-Rod this morning and Sammy Sosa. A-Rod owned it. He had people eating him up. Sosa looked like the most uncomfortable guy out there. Sosa has HOF numbers too. Yet, his strange sneaky behavior is not going to help his cause. I think A-Rod knows he needs people to like him to push for his votes. Sosa is not educated enough to understand this. Heck, the year of suspension might have been the best thing for him.

KMayUSA6060 06-29-2018 04:51 PM

Statistical HoFer? Sure. Eventually he and the rest of the cheaters will get in.

Ambassador of the Game HoFer? Hell. No. The guy is scum, and that's putting it lightly as to not get a slap on the wrist from Leon for vulgar language.

SetBuilder 06-29-2018 05:12 PM

If Barry Bonds isn't in yet, A-Rod certainly isn't getting in either, at least not until many, many ballots. I don't see much difference between the two in terms of statistics and circumstances.

drcy 06-29-2018 05:15 PM

Correction. If your numbers are via steroids, you don't have HOF numbers. The same way that your 95 out of a 100 on a college or high school test is not a 95 when you're discovered to have cheated.

Arazi4442 06-29-2018 07:53 PM

Totally agree with Derek in the first response to this post. It's always felt (to me) that A-Rod has a very structured plan for his life, both during and after his playing days. This likeable announcer portion seems dead set on minimizing his "time-out" period to enter the hall of fame ASAP.

savedfrommyspokes 06-29-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1790932)
Correction. If your numbers are via steroids, you don't have HOF numbers. The same way that your 95 out of a 100 on a college or high school test is not a 95 when you're discovered to have cheated.

Not a fan of steroid users, but a players numbers via steroids were off of other players using steroids.

drcy 06-30-2018 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1790974)
... a players numbers via steroids were off....

Glad you agree with me ;)

steve B 06-30-2018 06:59 PM

Steroids aside, he made every team worse when he got there, and better when he left.

Peter_Spaeth 06-30-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1791183)
Steroids aside, he made every team worse when he got there, and better when he left.

He changed teams twice in 22 years. That seems a pretty bold statement.

Topnotchsy 07-01-2018 09:32 PM

I don't know if it's an act or not, but I've been very impressed with his analysis, demeanor and what presents itself as some level of humility.

Did the process of getting caught multiple times and reaching the end of his career humble him or is it all an act? I have no idea.

steve B 07-02-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1791185)
He changed teams twice in 22 years. That seems a pretty bold statement.

I know.

From 1995- 2003 The Yankees were pretty much THE team in the AL. (Yes, and it pains me to say that)
They went to the WS 7 times in 9 years, and won 5. Including 4 in a row.

Arod arrives and thankfully they experience a historic collapse.
Arods swatting play was a key moment in that.
That collapse eventually changed the outlook of Boston fans.
(Right after, when the announcer was calling it the worst collapse in baseball history I commented to my wife that "That's just one more thing they've taken from us" A few days later it was all ok! )

After that?
04-16, 13 years One WS win, Missed the playoffs 4 years, and were mostly out after the divisional series. The year he was out they did better than the years with him just before and after.
------------------------

The Rangers

1998, 99 first in the division
2000 pretty bad
they sign Arod to a big contract.
2001 to 2003, still last while he put up some of the best numbers of his career. I believe his salary prevented them from building a better team.
He leaves, and they go from 4th to 3rd for a few years.
-------------------------

Mariners

Ok, I may be wrong on them. Pretty bad pre Arod, competitive with him, and except for 2001, not all that good after he left.

Or.... They made the playoffs a few years, but weren't really all that close other years, including two straight third place out of four finishes.
How did they do the year after he left?
116 wins. But they ran up against the pre- Arod Yankees in the ALCS.

Peter_Spaeth 07-02-2018 04:59 PM

A Rod was the MVP in 2005 and 2007. I somehow don't think his 48/130 and 54/156 dragged down the Yankees. I doubt it did in other years either when he was putting up very good numbers. I think you're oversimplifying what is almost certainly a complex situation as to why the Yankees' run of success mellowed out.

As for Texas, sorry but that's just not at all persuasive. Going from 4th to 3rd?

ls7plus 07-02-2018 07:29 PM

A-roid will make the HOF, just as soon as it places a premium upon lying, cheating, scamming and scheming. I like him and Mendoza so much that I watch the Sunday night ESPN game mute.

Just sayin',

Larry

KMayUSA6060 07-02-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls7plus (Post 1791660)
A-roid will make the HOF, just as soon as it places a premium upon lying, cheating, scamming and scheming. I like him and Mendoza so much that I watch the Sunday night ESPN game mute.

Just sayin',

Larry

Mendoza's a joke. What a PC play that is, having her as an analyst/broadcaster. Such an ESPN/Disney thing to do.