Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

bocca001 03-15-2021 07:30 PM

Of course he has a suspension bridge. He just needs to paint it rust colored.

I think he uses binder clips, if I remember correctly. And the thin pennant sleeves (the hard ones get pretty heavy in large groups).

ooo-ribay 03-16-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2081580)
Of course he has a suspension bridge. He just needs to paint it rust colored.

I think he uses binder clips, if I remember correctly. And the thin pennant sleeves (the hard ones get pretty heavy in large groups).

At first, I had the “cables” threaded through binder clips with the ends of the cables permanently crimped. I then discovered the “wings” of the binder clips took up too much room and I had to cut every single one off the cables. Those were replaced with “butterfly” paper clips. I’ll get a close up later.

ooo-ribay 03-16-2021 01:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Close up...

perezfan 03-16-2021 11:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2080611)
I know the obvious answer is on the wall. But when there's more pennants than wall space, other options are required.

I have a number of pennants in toploaders laying flat under a chair. It's not the most elegant solution. I'm curious how you're storing your pennants.

I know that Rob, Rick and Marc have shown innovative "storage" solutions that also enable the pennants to be readily displayed. Great stuff!

But (as a fellow collector who has also covered every inch of wall space) my solution is pictured below. These plastic bins are probably made for wrapping paper, but really work well for storing pennants. Available at any Target, Meijer, Container Store or Wal-Mart, each one will hold over 36 pennants.

The rigid covers (toploaders) are a bit smaller than the soft sleeves, and fit better as a result. You can face the pennants both ways, as shown below. Plus, these bins will fit underneath a bed, or are stackable if that's your preference. They provide great protection from dust, sunlight, carpet beetles and moths... not to mention kids and pets!

Hope this is helpful and best of luck!

Fballguy 03-17-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2082106)
I know that Rob, Rick and Marc have shown innovative "storage" solutions that also enable the pennants to be readily displayed. Great stuff!

But (as a fellow collector who has also covered every inch of wall space) my solution is pictured below. These plastic bins are probably made for wrapping paper, but really work well for storing pennants. Available at any Target, Meijer, Container Store or Wal-Mart, each one will hold over 36 pennants.

The rigid covers (toploaders) are a bit smaller than the soft sleeves, and fit better as a result. You can face the pennants both ways, as shown below. Plus, these bins will fit underneath a bed, or are stackable if that's your preference. They provide great protection from dust, sunlight, carpet beetles and moths... not to mention kids and pets!

Hope this is helpful and best of luck!

I approve this message.

perezfan 03-17-2021 12:47 PM

Recently stumbled across this...

https://shop.geminibuildsit.com/blog...ennants-galore

Funny that they include the Cubs and Pilots pennants with this "1951" grouping. Especially since the date of the Pilots is right on the pennant. :rolleyes:

bobw 03-17-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2082272)

Funny that they include the Cubs and Pilots pennants with this "1951" grouping. Especially since the date of the Pilots is right on the pennant. :rolleyes:

That Cubs pennant sticks out like a sore thumb......

ooo-ribay 03-17-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Jeez...I wonder what that thing cost???? :eek:

MK 03-17-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

I can’t even imagine how much that frame weighs. Would need some real anchoring on the wall.

UKCardGuy 03-17-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Not very practical but I love the ballpark backdrop.

thetahat 03-17-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Brutal! Not just the repro Cubs but the tips of the pennants in the left column are covered ... my OCD would be blown up by that monstrosity. There’s a certain feng shui to proper pennant decoration, mixing colors, etc. Or maybe I’m just nuts.

thetahat 03-17-2021 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I store mine like Mark, in tubs ... I have nine under the pool table and a tenth is in a closet (with mostly 1970s).

thetahat 03-17-2021 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Speaking of pennant decoration ... I was psyched to get a good deal on this oversized White Sox until I realized it doesn’t display well in the dungeon. All my pennants run parallel. I might have to turn the letters :)

MK 03-17-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2082390)
Speaking of pennant decoration ... I was psyched to get a good deal on this oversized White Sox until I realized it doesn’t display well in the dungeon. All my pennants run parallel. I might have to turn the letters :)

Glad you were able to add this to your collection. I was almost relieved it wasn’t a Cubs version or I would have been in the bidding and probably a lot poorer in the end.

Fballguy 03-18-2021 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well...Someone just paid $270 (plus tax) for a Mitchell & Ness creation.

https://ebay.us/B58abB

thetahat 03-18-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2082437)
Glad you were able to add this to your collection. I was almost relieved it wasn’t a Cubs version or I would have been in the bidding and probably a lot poorer in the end.

Thanks. If it was Cubs it would have pushed five figures.

Fballguy 03-18-2021 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kyle...Don't think you've finished your piece on Amco yet. Here's a cleaner shot of the Amco subscript.

perezfan 03-18-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2082559)

Gotta love how the seller conveniently leaves out the truly important info, and stacks the pennant on top of vintage examples. I am sure he knew what it really is.

In the "olden days", I would email the buyer to alert him to the obvious fake he just bought. But with eBay now hiding all bidders' identities, people are getting bilked a lot more. A bad move IMHO :(

murphusa 03-18-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2082659)
Gotta love how the seller conveniently leaves out the truly important info, and stacks the pennant on top of vintage examples. I am sure he knew what it really is.

In the "olden days", I would email the buyer to alert him to the obvious fake he just bought. But with eBay now hiding all bidders' identities, people are getting bilked a lot more. A bad move IMHO :(

yes it is and most of these purchases are by loved ones who thinks their husband etc will be really happy with this gift

ooo-ribay 03-18-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2082559)

So....a 1955 Champs pennant shows Ebbetts closing in 1957? PT Barnum was right!

Domer05 03-18-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2082566)
Kyle...Don't think you've finished your piece on Amco yet. Here's a cleaner shot of the Amco subscript.

Thanks man! Did you win it recently??

Fballguy 03-19-2021 04:30 PM

Anyone want to guess how much 25 cost?

https://ebay.us/i7AnMA

Fballguy 03-20-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 2082889)
Thanks man! Did you win it recently??

Yes...If you want other pics, let me know.

ooo-ribay 03-20-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2083184)
Anyone want to guess how much 25 cost?

https://ebay.us/i7AnMA

That is a crap load of crappy pennants!

doug.goodman 03-21-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

I'm not really a fan of that presentation for multiple reasons (overlapping on the pennants being one, and just the general "hodge podge" of it being another), but in their defense the first line of the story says "...pennants dating back to 1951..." so it's just the title that is misleading.

Also, there seems to be a glaring typo in the write up : when they say "making sixteen pennants work collectively in one 57” x 88” case provided an exciting challenge." I believe that they meant to say "stuffing", "wedging" or "forcing" instead of "making".

But I could be wrong,
Doug

thetahat 03-22-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2083832)
I'm not really a fan of that presentation for multiple reasons (overlapping on the pennants being one, and just the general "hodge podge" of it being another), but in their defense the first line of the story says "...pennants dating back to 1951..." so it's just the title that is misleading.

Also, there seems to be a glaring typo in the write up : when they say "making sixteen pennants work collectively in one 57” x 88” case provided an exciting challenge." I believe that they meant to say "stuffing", "wedging" or "forcing" instead of "making".

But I could be wrong,
Doug

Just from a decorative standpoint, the way the pennants are displayed is rather unsightly. At least he didn’t make a wheel out of them ....

MK 03-22-2021 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just acquired this fairly tough version from the series which included several different Cubs examples.

thetahat 03-22-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK (Post 2084169)
Just acquired this fairly tough version from the series which included several different Cubs examples.

Beauty! And very rare. Congrats.

perezfan 03-22-2021 01:12 PM

Congrats Mike... Gorgeous!

ooo-ribay 03-22-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

There’s a lot going on in that pennant!

MK 03-22-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2084326)
There’s a lot going on in that pennant!

It does look like they were filling in space with various doodles.

Duluth Eskimo 03-23-2021 11:32 PM

Quote:

This is about the nicest and cleanest example of this pennant I have ever seen. Really nice and tough pennant.

perezfan 03-28-2021 09:45 PM

Was anybody here able to snag this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Vinta...p2047675.l2557

One of very few rare/desirable pennants to hit eBay over the past few months (which may have been reflected in the final price). Congrats to whoever won it!

Duluth Eskimo 03-29-2021 06:14 AM

Saw that one and bid on it for resale, but didn’t win it. Good prices lately for tough pennants.

Fballguy 03-29-2021 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2086845)
Was anybody here able to snag this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Vinta...p2047675.l2557

One of very few rare/desirable pennants to hit eBay over the past few months (which may have been reflected in the final price). Congrats to whoever won it!

Marc and I were negotiating this one on Friday. The condition bothered him more than me, so I went for it. Plus, this pennant is one of my three nemesis pennants, that I just seem to have a curse preventing me from owning. Something always goes wrong when I've attempted to win it in the past...computer glitches...wife distractions. So I was pretty determined this time.

I ended up coming in second. I sniped what I thought would be an umbrella bid, thinking I had about a $50 margin over sale price, but nope. That's the strongest price (and in the worst condition) I've seen for that pennant over the last 5-10 years.

perezfan 03-29-2021 11:39 AM

Aw sh*t. Sorry to hear that Rob.

I thought the condition was "acceptable". Thought it would land in the $180 - $200 range, but I guess the rare ones are starting to command more these days.

I know what you mean about "cursed" pennants. I have had more than a few in which some fluke thing happens every rare occasion that one comes up. Looks like this one might continue to plague you a while longer. :(

ooo-ribay 03-29-2021 04:46 PM

I really like that pennant. Might have had to detach/bleach/reattach the spine. :p

thetahat 03-30-2021 06:36 PM

That 49ers pennant is way cool. I’m starting to appreciate the 50s FB pennants more and more. Namely the Trench pennants that resemble the baseball pennants from the era ... like the Cardinals simply switched out the bat for the baseball. Those are simple, elegant looking pennants and they came in so many neat colors.

bocca001 03-30-2021 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me, the issue was the color that had leeched into the spine. I had this happen on a pennant that I tried to clean recently (red leeched when I applied just a bit of water). Red 49ers, white spine. I can't get the red out of the spine and the fabric is so soft that trying to clean it is clearly damaging it. It wasn't a super-rare pennant and it was one of those that the price was right for taking a chance.

I thought Rob's bid would get this one for sure. I was willing to go about $200 (maybe $250), and I tend to be competitive for 49ers pennants.

But I've also run into a few 49ers pennants that go $600-$1,000. Like the one below. A bit much for me. And the 49ers runner and punter pennants go for $500+, when I see some for other teams in the $150 range (I think a Steelers one just sold in that range).

I know that the 49ers aren't quite at the level of the Raiders, but it does seem like 49ers pennants are less common than many teams.

bocca001 03-30-2021 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did win this one though. It just arrived and is pretty nice shape.

perezfan 03-31-2021 12:03 PM

Nice pickup, Marc.... One of my favorite series of pennants, and love it with the green felt. Congrats!

ooo-ribay 03-31-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2087627)

But I've also run into a few 49ers pennants that go $600-$1,000. Like the one below. A bit much for me.

I know that the 49ers aren't quite at the level of the Raiders, but it does seem like 49ers pennants are less common than many teams.

That looks like a “one off” kind of pennant i.e. not part of any “series.” Yes?

Domer05 03-31-2021 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2087965)
That looks like a “one off” kind of pennant i.e. not part of any “series.” Yes?

Actually, I believe we determined this pennant came from the "Player-in-the-name" series discussed a few months ago; and, we believe it to have been produced by the WGN Flag Co. of Chicago.

Greg owns 15 of the 16 pennants from that series ... just needs the St. Louis Cardinals one, I believe.

perezfan 04-01-2021 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 2088154)
Actually, I believe we determined this pennant came from the "Player-in-the-name" series discussed a few months ago; and, we believe it to have been produced by the WGN Flag Co. of Chicago.

Greg owns 15 of the 16 pennants from that series ... just needs the St. Louis Cardinals one, I believe.

That was certainly my understanding as well.

thetahat 04-01-2021 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2088173)
That was certainly my understanding as well.

Correct. I don’t think this is a knockoff but an earlier WGN. I’ve seen the Cubs and Phillies versions with tassels also.

Fballguy 04-01-2021 06:44 AM

I think Rob was referring to the 49ers pennant Marc pictured.

perezfan 04-01-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2088211)

Crap, you're right.... thanks for clarifying. That'll teach me not to post after midnight with 3 martinis in my system. Yes, that oddball 49ers has to be a one-off. Great pennant!

Fballguy 04-01-2021 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2088314)
Crap, you're right.... thanks for clarifying. That'll teach me not to post after midnight with 3 martinis in my system. Yes, that oddball 49ers has to be a one-off. Great pennant!

Been there done that. I always cringe when I wake up the next morning and wonder what I "wine posted" the night before.

ooo-ribay 04-01-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2088211)

Yes, I was.

Nothing wrong with a little drunk posting! :p

ooo-ribay 04-01-2021 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked up the big (5") patch. A bargain at $7.50. Since it still has a tab, I was hoping for a maker on the back. Alas, no. I guess we don't know who made the pennant and the patches...