Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1930s Chicago Cubs jerseys? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244750)

horzverti 09-09-2017 08:43 PM

1930s Chicago Cubs jerseys?

1 Attachment(s)
I was doing some ancestry research with my Dad today and he showed me some pics of my grandfather's (his father's) local baseball teams. One of the photos is interesting because it looks like they are wearing old Cubs uniforms. Another photo shows one of the players wearing an old Milwaukee jersey. The jerseys look identical to 1930s Cubs' and the early to mid 1920s American Association Milwaukee Brewers' uniforms. These photos are from my grandfather's mid 1930s teams from central Wisconsin.

Times were tough during the Great Depression. Could these be actual old hand-me-down jerseys from the major and minor leagues?

Also, did anyone here win the 1930s Gresham Baseball trophy which was sold a few months ago? If I remember correctly, the trophy sold looks a lot like the one in the photo where the players are wearing Cubs jerseys.

horzverti 09-09-2017 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the photo with the Milwaukee jersey.

ramram 09-09-2017 08:57 PM

Yes they did and I think that is exactly what you have there.

Rob M

horzverti 09-09-2017 09:09 PM

Very cool. Thanks ramram! My grandfather is the only player wearing the Cubs home jersey (bear inside C logo). Unfortunately, my Dad doesn't recall ever seeing that jersey.

I have been doing many Google searches looking for that Gresham trophy, but no luck yet. I really, really wish I grabbed an image of that auction.

karamaxjoe 09-10-2017 10:14 AM

You're probably correct that those are old Cub jerseys since your grandfather is wearing a home Cubs jersey. It's also possible the rest of the guys are wearing mid 30's Sox jerseys since both teams road jerseys were nearly identical at that time.

The Sox used to donate old jerseys to local teams back then. I know this since my Father-in-law had four mid 40's Sox jerseys in his possession when I met him.

horzverti 09-10-2017 11:21 AM

Thank you for the info Mike.

ramram 09-10-2017 11:31 AM

Now Curt, you need to spend the next month going through the attics of all your relatives!

horzverti 09-10-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 1699713)
Now Curt, you need to spend the next month going through the attics of all your relatives!

LOL! Yeah I'd love to have that one. I do have two items which are of greater significance to me though - my Dad's Pocatello Bannocks (Chiefs) hat and a Little Rock Travelers jersey. He had a workout with Little Rock in 1958 and was allowed to keep the jersey. I think that year he ended up with the Albany Senators. I will have to ask him about the year. He played for Pocatello in 1961.