Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Limited Budget (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=83532)

Archive 01-03-2007 07:10 PM

Limited Budget

Posted By: <b>Myron</b><p> How do you collect vintage cards on a limited budget? I've been browsing E-Bay, and most of the cards I'm interested in are way out of my price range, especially ones that are graded. I don't want to buy ungraded cards because of all the scam artists out there. Is this hobby only for people with good amounts of expendable income?

Archive 01-03-2007 07:14 PM

Limited Budget

Posted By: <b>James Feagin</b><p>Unless you want cards that are hammered to all heck, you pretty much nailed it.

Archive 01-03-2007 07:14 PM

Limited Budget

Posted By: <b>robertadamejr</b><p>There are plenty of ebayers who sell raw tobacco cards that are trustworthy . The key is doing your homework on them .

Archive 01-03-2007 07:15 PM

Limited Budget

Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>Well first off...what kind of cards is it your looking at? I have a limited budget, and the best thing to buy is graded cards. There are quite a few different sets where you can get PSA 1 and 2's..or SGC 10-30's that look quite presentable for $20-30 bucks each. Maybe give yourself that amount each week and try to pick up one card a week...you have to figure the card being graded thats also another $15 bucks there, so you've already beat that. Now if your trying to find E-94s or some old Plow Boys or something then yes.....find another hobby if you dont have the money.

Archive 01-03-2007 07:23 PM

Limited Budget

Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p>Myron,<br />Depends what you mean by "limited". You can get poor-to-good graded T205, T206 and T207 commons for under $20 and Hall of Famers for under $60. You can buy some popular non-tobacco issues, such as buy M101-5s, E120s, E121s and most strips (e.g. W514, W575) in the same range. On the other hand, if your budget is sub-$10 per card then you are definitely in trouble unless you buy raw.<br />Scot

Archive 01-03-2007 08:00 PM

Limited Budget

Posted By: <b>Shane</b><p>All of us have a budget. Some of us have a budget of $50,000 a year, some of us have $10,000 a year. I have always felt that I do a better job of managing my money when I make large purchases instead of picking up one card at a time. If a dealer/ebay seller/auction house has a pre-war set that I am interested in. I can buy the set and keep the 15 cards for my collection that I want and move the rest. This will do two fold: give me something to play with for a couple of months and position myself financially right in the cards that I keep.<br />Shane

Archive 01-03-2007 08:27 PM

Limited Budget

Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>I also have a very limted budget. I have always needed to sell cards in order to buy others. Im always looking for a good deal, especially cards in bulk. Its been like that for many years for me. My work income goes to my everyday bills, so I really dont have extra $$ for cards. Thats also the main reason I dont collect high grade.