Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   t206 - On the chase (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=156289)

nameless 09-06-2012 07:39 AM

t206 - On the chase

I find myself reading this forum more and more being a boxing card collector and I have really gained interest in this set. Any pointers before I begin my quest to attain what one can? Perhaps some readings or links to information which may be useful. I have always had a few laying around. I think I have just under 40 :)
Thanks,
-John

teetwoohsix 09-06-2012 08:07 AM

Hi John-

You can go here http://t206resource.com/ and learn all about the set. And there are many good threads on T206's here on Net54.

I also like to read Lew Lipset's "The Encyclopedia Of Baseball Cards" Volume 3, 20th Century Tobacco Cards 1909-1932- it's a great read and covers most all tobacco cards from that era.

Great choice of cards to go after, good luck hunting :D

Sincerely, Clayton

bbcard1 09-06-2012 08:37 AM

My best advice is to decide what you want to achieve and be systematic in your approach. I originally wanted just to "fill all the spaces" but have ended up buying several cards two or three times to get the grade up to my very meager expectations. Don't worry about the prices much...they roll up and down.

To me, the best way to think of building a T206 set is like running a marathon...if you just want to complete it, you can get it done if you stick to it and put one foot in front of the other. If you want to finish at the front of the pack, it takes a lot more dedication.

I am hoping to eventually build a set that is f-g with some eye appeal. I have a lot of upgrades to do...I think of it as training my monster.

T206Collector 09-06-2012 09:14 AM

The climb up the mountain is an arduous one. There are many aspects of collecting T206 that can get overwhelming -- should I collect the backs? should I collect the factories? what condition am I comfortable with? can I live with not ever owning a Wagner? It can sometimes feel like Sisyphus!

The best advice is almost no advice at all -- just enjoy collecting the set in whichever way it calls to you. Putting aside my signed T206 card pursuit, which is a whole other animal, my current iteration involves just picking up PSA 5/SGC 60 commons at good values. When I get a HOF or a SL, it is almost an unwanted distraction.

Remember, the Monster will watch your collecting with a jealous eye. It will throw many distractions in the way of your pursuit. The Monster wants you to quit. Don't listen to it!

Howe’s Hunter 09-06-2012 09:17 AM

Paul, you're starting to sound like Barry.

nameless 09-06-2012 12:41 PM

Thanks for the advice. I understand that I will never own a wagner however my dog could dig up one and bring it to me someday. I dont mind the low grades. Its whatever looks good in the longrun. I will check out the material provided.
Thanks!

mrvster 09-08-2012 03:40 PM

t206

jj

you picked the right set!!!great choice....it's all i collect....:D

just get a common beater at first....they are great!!!

the rare and odd stuff is the BEST!!

peace

johnny

HOFautosChris 09-08-2012 08:49 PM

t206

As a fellow t206 collector I would also suggest the book The t206 collection the players and their stories. By Tom Zappalla and Ellen zappalla. Great book. Everytime I pick up a new card I pick up this book and read the story behind the player.

wazoo 09-08-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOFautosChris (Post 1034669)
As a fellow t206 collector I would also suggest the book The t206 collection the players and their stories. By Tom Zappalla and Ellen zappalla. Great book. Everytime I pick up a new card I pick up this book and read the story behind the player.

Same here. Love that book and the stories.