Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What's the deal with the Dodgers? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244853)

frankbmd 09-25-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1704378)
Understood, but in your argument it doesnt matter if the dodgers won their last 15 games of the year or lost the last 15 if we are just going on what we believe certain pitchers do in the postseason and talking about unknown surprises Last year though Kershaw was very good in the postseason by the way if not great.

Thus, basically it doesnt matter then if a first place teams ends up losing their last 50 games..if their best player are great in the post season and the many many unknown surprises of players who could suck in the regular season be great in the postseason

If kershaw and Darvish win 6 games in the post season etc, that would further show who cares how the #3 to #5 pitchers did for them in many losses..we shall see..

However my point was that if you think regular season record matters during the last 30 games or whatever i would be more concerned how the #1 and #2 pitchers did not the rest of them. In post season #1 pitchers pitch more often as well

The reason to play the games is the uncertainty of the outcomes. The 1954 Cleveland Indians won 111 games with four starters who won 80.

No, the regular season is not predictive of post season results. It determines who plays, but not the results.

Ask the 1954 New York Giants who swept the Tribe with the help of their unexpected hero, Dusty Rhodes.;)

1952boyntoncollector 09-25-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1704390)
The reason to play the games is the uncertainty of the outcomes. The 1954 Cleveland Indians won 111 games with four starters who won 80.

No, the regular season is not predictive of post season results. It determines who plays, but not the results.

Ask the 1954 New York Giants who swept the Tribe with the help of their unexpected hero, Dusty Rhodes.;)

Of course, but people do bet on games based on prior performances.. Theres a reason there is a betting line. Nothing is certain but there are always situations where the odds are greater.

to me i wouldnt care how a teams #4 and #5 starter did the last 30 games going into the postseason...i would care more on the #1 and #2 starter did. yes there are other pitchers that may come up huge but i am just going by the odds... Back to the thread top ...there would no 'deal' to me for those losses. I wouldnt be asking whats the deal with the dodgers

If Ross Stripling starts this week and takes a loss, does that loss really matter. Would i be saying 'whats wrong with the dodgers?" Nothing would be wrong to me if all they lost were games started by back end guys....

Peter_Spaeth 09-25-2017 08:58 PM

As I did last year (I was close!!), I fear the Indians of Cleveland.

1952boyntoncollector 09-26-2017 12:01 AM

Yu Darvish did fine tonight. I would care more about that that Ross Stripling or whoever losing a game later on.

bravos4evr 09-26-2017 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1704435)
Yu Darvish did fine tonight. I would care more about that that Ross Stripling or whoever losing a game later on.

but you also need to look at the offense and defense and base running during the losing streak too. Pitchers can do great and still get losses because of things out of their control.(which is why pitcher record is such a bad gauge of quality)

1952boyntoncollector 09-26-2017 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1704440)
but you also need to look at the offense and defense and base running during the losing streak too. Pitchers can do great and still get losses because of things out of their control.(which is why pitcher record is such a bad gauge of quality)

Right you never know. But Starting pitching is the most important factor

KMayUSA6060 09-26-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1704408)

Smart man. :cool:

frankbmd 09-26-2017 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1704408)

And I drink with the Brewers of Milwaukee! :D

ls7plus 09-28-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1704390)

Not to mention the man above men who made "The Catch" with his back turned, 450+ feet away from the plate off Vic Wertz, the incomparable Willie Mays!

Best wishes,

Larry

1952boyntoncollector 10-11-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravos4evr (Post 1704440)

Hmm..dont think there has been any deal with the Dodgers thus far........they dont have to worry about #4 and #5 starters losing games like they did the in the regular season...