Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Glasscock Cabinet Card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=112634)

b.heagy 05-26-2009 12:31 PM

Glasscock Cabinet Card

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for some info on the attached piece. Approx 5x7 inch cabinet card stock with painted image of John Glasscock. Has anyone ever come across another example? Is there a paticular artist that it could be attached to? Any help is greatly appreciated.

barrysloate 05-26-2009 01:57 PM

It appears to match the image of Glasscock as presented on the Zimmer game. Is it possible you found the original picture used for the game? It's worth researching this.

bcbgcbrcb 05-26-2009 01:58 PM

It looks kind of like the player portraits (not Glassock's specifically) used to produce baseball board playing games of the era. Maybe someone copied the image from one of those by drawing and coloring it in or painting it?

sporteq 05-26-2009 02:05 PM

IMO .... looks pretty modern.

aL

drc 05-26-2009 03:26 PM

For it to be 1800s, it would be oil paint not acrylic. Acrylic is synthetic oil paint was introduced in the 1940s-50s. While oil paint exists today, it's not something the average sports fan or hobbyist would use. If you showed it to someone familiar with art paint, perhaps a neighborhood hobbyist painter, he or she might be able tell what type of paint it is just be looking at it. For those familiar with paints, it's usually fairly easy to tell the difference between oil and acrylic.

Also, collectors of metal toys use black lights to judge the age of the paint, as antiques are commonly repainted. Modern paint usually fluoresces, while antique paint tends not to. Paint loses its fluorescence over the years.

b.heagy 05-28-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 725870)
For it to be 1800s, it would be oil paint not acrylic. Acrylic is synthetic oil paint was introduced in the 1940s-50s. While oil paint exists today, it's not something the average sports fan or hobbyist would use. If you showed it to someone familiar with art paint, perhaps a neighborhood hobbyist painter, he or she might be able tell what type of paint it is just be looking at it. For those familiar with paints, it's usually fairly easy to tell the difference between oil and acrylic.

Also, collectors of metal toys use black lights to judge the age of the paint, as antiques are commonly repainted. Modern paint usually fluoresces, while antique paint tends not to. Paint loses its fluorescence over the years.

That is some very helpful info. It is oil paint. I will get ahold of a black light and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Please keep them coming.

drc 05-28-2009 11:26 AM

They key thing is judging the age of paint and varnish is common to antiques collecting, and you could find an experienced antiques dealer or collector who can give good assessment. As antique fishing lures were painted and varnished, even some fishing lure collectors are experts at this.

HiNeighbor 05-28-2009 04:34 PM

Bill,

Don't know much about the piece you've posted, but I've been after one of those Sox whiskey bottles you have in your avatar for a while. You wouldn't know of one available by any chance???
Greg

b.heagy 05-28-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiNeighbor (Post 726357)
Bill,

Don't know much about the piece you've posted, but I've been after one of those Sox whiskey bottles you have in your avatar for a while. You wouldn't know of one available by any chance???
Greg

Hi Greg,
Send me an email. bill@heagysports.com - might be able to help you.