Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opinions of what to do (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244471)

JamesGallo 09-03-2017 11:44 AM

Opinions of what to do

So I recently bought this card as an upgrade. I own a SGC 30 so this was a big jump.

I got the card and in person the top left front corner looks off.

So my options are return the card, leave it as is or have SGC review the card. I had plans to sell the down grade so what do I do with that, and would you hold the down grade in case this comes back altered.

I left the pictures big...

Thanks
James G

http://www.toyandcomicheaven.com/ima...bsbancroft.jpg

http://www.toyandcomicheaven.com/ima...bancroftbk.jpg

MrSeven 09-03-2017 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Playing around with the contrast. Something looks askew.

oldjudge 09-03-2017 12:04 PM

Agree-Corner looks added on, if that is possible. I would send back to SGC for a regrade and tell the person who sold the card to you about your concerns, saying you will return it if it turns out to be repaired.

mantlefan 09-03-2017 12:07 PM

Altered?

I agree that the corner looks a bit off. Could be a stain though. The thing is I doubt SGC would admit their error. I think it's your decision. If you don't like it, return it. If you can live with it, keep it.

MikeGarcia 09-03-2017 12:09 PM

The Seller ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1697415)
Agree-Corner looks added on, if that is possible. I would send back to SGC for a regrade and tell the person who sold the card to you about your concerns, saying you will return it if it turns out to be repaired.

...have you notified the seller of your concerns ? Can he provide a history of the card ? He won't want it back in a different holder with a lower grade.....

PiratesWS1979 09-03-2017 12:35 PM

After seeing the small crease on the back, could there be some delamination and maybe glued?

rgpete 09-03-2017 12:47 PM

Unfortunately a black light won't work with the card in case to see if was repaired

JamesGallo 09-03-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 1697417)
...have you notified the seller of your concerns ? Can he provide a history of the card ? He won't want it back in a different holder with a lower grade.....

It is generally accepted IMO that dealers won't take returns on graded cards. There is certainly some of the top layer paper missing, but my concern is that the top edge is straight and then bellows up at the corner. It does not look to be mis cut which generally explains this.... I am torn as this is certainly a much better card. Is this is a situation of ignorance is bliss. If I never have it reviewed then I will never know....

James G

markf31 09-03-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesGallo (Post 1697439)
It is generally accepted IMO that dealers won't take returns on graded cards. There is certainly some of the top layer paper missing, but my concern is that the top edge is straight and then bellows up at the corner. It does not look to be mis cut which generally explains this.... I am torn as this is certainly a much better card. Is this is a situation of ignorance is bliss. If I never have it reviewed then I will never know....

James G

The seller has a 14 day return policy according to the listing, and they do not specify in the item description that graded cards are not eligible for a return and refund.

Peter_Spaeth 09-03-2017 01:00 PM

If you have questions about it you aren't going to ever be happy with it. Return it.

bigfanNY 09-03-2017 01:10 PM

Return the card

Collecting is about enjoying your cards. Return it and move on..

Luke 09-03-2017 02:03 PM

To me it just looks like a transfer of some sort. Like the wet sheet transferred lines around the border. Beautiful card regardless. It wouldn't bother me at all, but like the last two guys said, if it's going to bother you, probably best to return it.

Jantz 09-03-2017 07:34 PM

It would be hard to rebuild a corner and add the wet sheet transfer as well.

Could it be that the corner has been scuffed to the point that some of the top surface layers of paper were rubbed off?

I'm no expert nor am I familiar with these cards, just throwing out some food for thought or what I see in your scans.

Jantz

rhettyeakley 09-03-2017 07:57 PM

I would be pretty surprised if there was anything going on with that card. Boston Store/Collins-McCarthy cards are very thin cards and have a glossy surface on front. I wonder if there is just some wear or abrasion to the glossy surface that gives the appearance of something more.

T206Collector 09-04-2017 05:14 AM

The SGC holder doesn't help the image. If you look at the bottom left corner you can also see how the cut out corner of the holder makes it look like the card's corner is bigger or something "askew."

I am fairly sure the card was damaged in the ordinary course of its 100 year life, but like BigFanNY said, if you don't like the card send it back or resell it. I, too, get fixated on blemishes sometimes that make me hate the card. No reason to keep those and try to convince yourself you're over-reacting.

toledo_mudhen 09-04-2017 07:10 AM

No visible hint of a repair on the back side....Im guessing this one is graded correctly and SGC would confirm their opinion on it. Having said that - Wow tuff set...eBay shows a grand total of 37 of these and NONE are inexpensive. Never even new these existed until today.

Leon 09-04-2017 07:46 AM

I think it is graded correctly and that upper corner issue could be from being in an album, with those little things that keep the corners in (hinges?).

JollyElm 09-04-2017 03:24 PM

If possible, instead of the entire card, can you post a scan, a large scan (hopefully hi-res), of just the area in question? That would allow the people here who could really help you out to offer an even more educated and insightful assessment.