Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Modern player signature prices: Time to check out? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=254404)

Fuddjcal 05-01-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1771840)
I was recently chatting with a few collectors about the insanely high cost of modern players, e.g., Trout $700, Jeter $800+, Rivera $300+, Griffey $400+, etc etc.

Seasoned collectors are checking out. And, how does the hobby attract new participants at prices like this?

I used to collect the HOF postcard plaks from every new class, and I've given up. Not that I technically could not afford it, but it's a matter of principle. I'll be damned before I pay $400 for a Ken Griffey signed postcard plak. I can't even imagine what a Jeter plak is going to go for. "On sale" at Steiner for $500?

The thing is, these are NOT investments. You'll never get your money back out. God willing, these guys will be around signing for many decades. Dealers are sitting on a ton of stock, and the market is being diluted daily by a steady and mass influx of fakes.

One could argue you do it for the enjoyment, not the investment. Maybe it's me, but I just can't "enjoy" being subjected to predatory pricing to keep a frivolous thing like a collection going.

I believe it's time to cut bait and run.

Am I alone?

Not exactly, I'm way ahead of you. At least a 3 years head start. It's a retarded hobby plagued by the most disgusting people in the universe. Complete scum bags PERIOD. Trout's a great guy but At 700 per snap it's neither fun nor funny.

David Atkatz 05-01-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbhofmann (Post 1772073)
My guess is that the top guys of today don't really want to spend their time doing this.

If they set the price too high, they'll still attract some but their work load decreases. I can't really say that I blame them.

Can't blame them?
Their work load?
Really?
Shit. They only work half the year to begin with.
Those rich, spoiled, ingrates have decided that they don't owe shit to the fans who ultimately pay their salaries. They're too fuckin' busy figuring out which room of their 30 room house they're in to sign some autographs for kids outside the ballpark?
Fuck 'em.

mr2686 05-01-2018 01:00 PM

Damn, I just did some homework and discovered I'm further behind than I thought. Out of 77 living hall of famers (including this year's class), I need 38 on single singed baseballs and 37 to sign my HOF book (not necessarily all the same players). $$$$$ is all my eyeballs are seeing right now. Anyway, I have space in my current baseball cases for about 58 more balls, and I think I'm going to cap it at that. Not sure when I'll cap my book, but I can't imagine making more than one more trip to Cooperstown (and maybe one more National) so I'll have to make both of those count. My main focus is going to be either older teams or deceased HOF'ers that I can still "reasonably" get.

Lordstan 05-01-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr2686 (Post 1772170)
Damn, I just did some homework and discovered I'm further behind than I thought. Out of 77 living hall of famers (including this year's class), I need 38 on single singed baseballs and 37 to sign my HOF book (not necessarily all the same players). $$$$$ is all my eyeballs are seeing right now. Anyway, I have space in my current baseball cases for about 58 more balls, and I think I'm going to cap it at that. Not sure when I'll cap my book, but I can't imagine making more than one more trip to Cooperstown (and maybe one more National) so I'll have to make both of those count. My main focus is going to be either older teams or deceased HOF'ers that I can still "reasonably" get.

Just wait and buy them on eBay. I am sure you can find almost everyone of them for fairly cheap. Chris finds Jeters cheap all the time(Granted I don't know jack about Jeter's auto so I can't help you)

egri 05-01-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 1772025)
This is why I will stick to my 1934 Goudey set. I have much less of a problem dropping several hundred or thousand on a card that is 90yo with a sig that might be just as old rather than a new player.

Mark, what are you up to on the 1934 Goudeys?

Lordstan 05-01-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egri (Post 1772208)
Mark, what are you up to on the 1934 Goudeys?

I'll have to check to remind myself, but I think its 84/96

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thetruthisoutthere 05-01-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 1772176)
Just wait and buy them on eBay. I am sure you can find almost everyone of them for fairly cheap. Chris finds Jeters cheap all the time(Granted I don't know jack about Jeter's auto so I can't help you)

Mark, you make a very good point!!!

If you know the autographs of those you collect, you can find great deals on Ebay!!!!

Sladge34 05-01-2018 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked this ball up for 199... Someone paid $135 recently for a Jeter/Rivera/Mendoza ball... Deals are out there, but I agree with everyone above, prices are out of control for some of these guys.

Sladge34 05-01-2018 04:59 PM

I also posted on this website in December that tri star was selling Griffey's with hof 16 for $300...

Sladge34 05-01-2018 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Griffey