Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with Ty Cobb Bronze statue (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=216006)

whiteymet 01-02-2016 12:06 PM

Help with Ty Cobb Bronze statue

3 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year to all!

I recently picked up the below Ty Cobb solid heavy bronze(?) statue on a marble base.

The name Tyrus Raymond Cobb is on the base with the words Palmer Murphy 94 on the reverse of the base.

It is 6 3/4" high by 5 3/4" wide at the marble base. It shows the "D" on both the cap and his jersey.

Any info, help etc. on this statue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

jcmtiger 01-03-2016 09:43 AM

Do a search on Palmer Murphy artist and you will find lots of information.

Joe

Leon 01-05-2016 01:24 PM

Just curious if any info was found? Neat statue...

whiteymet 01-05-2016 10:27 PM

Leon:

I reached out to Palmer Murphy the artist and received the below reply:

Hello Mr. McKie,

I recall that I sculpted that Ty Cobb sculpture in 1993; I made it to go along with a bronze of Babe Ruth
pitching for the Red Sox. I believe that only one of Cobb was cast, and I'd appreciate a few images of it if possible.
I'm currently finishing a Mantle sculpture in that Ruth & Gehrig scale to be cast in bronze in a limited edition.

Best regards,
Palmer

Sent from my iPhone

I replied with a few more questions. So far no reply. I will update if I get more info. But it appears this is a 1/1!!!

Fred

Iron Horse 01-05-2016 10:28 PM

I forwarded this link to Mr. Palmer. He has done a couple of bronzes of Ruth/Gehrig & is just about done with a Mantle which i wanted him to make.
I am sure he will either reply to me or may post here for you.
Will keep you posted.
Regards,
Ruben

Iron Horse 01-05-2016 10:29 PM

Lol,
sorry did not see that you had a reply

whiteymet 01-05-2016 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Ruben!

Looks like we were posting at almost the same time which is why you did not see my post.

Do you know anything about a large Mantle bronze statue done for a ball park in Oklahoma where they also sold a very limited edition of smaller statues.

That was done by Nick Calcagno who did a lot of the Hartland and Southland statues.

Any info on that one?

Fred

whiteymet 01-06-2016 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All:

Received another reply from Palmer Murphy:

I apologize for not responding more quickly, but
I had to track down the attached Babe Ruth pitching
sculpture; unlike the Cobb bronze statue, it is bonded, or cold-cast
bronze. The original was bronze like the Cobb, and presented
to pitcher David Wells in the Yankees' clubhouse back in 1998.

Here is the photo he sent of the Ruth that was made with the Cobb evidently both were 1/1.

Fred

MGHPro 01-06-2016 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny - I have the babe in my office - always fun to know the back story

murphusa 01-07-2016 09:08 AM

a 6" or 7" statue is not normal for a 1/1 in the bronze world. The 1/1 is more likely something in the 18" that has been downsized for another purpose.

whiteymet 01-07-2016 09:41 AM

Jim:

I can only go by what the artist who made the statue said to me in an email which I copied in a previous post. In case you missed it he wrote in part:

"Hello Mr. McKie,

I recall that I sculpted that Ty Cobb sculpture in 1993; I made it to go along with a bronze of Babe Ruth pitching for the Red Sox. I believe that only one of Cobb was cast, and I'd appreciate a few images of it if possible".

So, I don't know what is "normal" as you state, but again, according to Palmer Murphy who crafted it, he only cast ONE of the Cobb statue shown.

If you have other info to dispute this please post it, otherwise I will take the word of the artist.

Fred

murphusa 01-07-2016 10:21 AM

Have spent a lot of time talking to the people at a foundry here in Philly and have based my opinion on what they have said on how a statue is brought about.

Palmer may have only made one of the Cobb but was it at the 6" size?

whiteymet 11-16-2016 10:40 AM

Palmer Murphy Ty Cobb 1/1

Hi Guys:

I ended up consigning this Ty Cobb statue to REA auctions. See:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=40469

where it sold for $3000.

In a funny turn of events I reacquired it in a trade and just listed it for $2000 in the Memorabilia B/S/T forum. Someone can pick up a bargain!

Fred