Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What Are The Best Tells For Stamped Signature Versus Genuine? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=172638)

btcarfagno 07-19-2013 03:14 PM

What Are The Best Tells For Stamped Signature Versus Genuine?

I recently purchased a "Chicago Cubs Autograph Book" circa 1937. Really neat piece. 24 pages, each player has his own page. The book originally was said by the auction house (and JSA who never actually handled the piece which I still can't understand but whatever) to have 4 genuine autographs with the rest being stamped.

Here's my dilemma.

It seems to me that there are quite a few other actual signatures as well. There are quite a few that are obvious stamps, and then there are some that I am having trouble distinguishing. This is where I need some help.

What should I look for that will help me to distinguish the ones that may be stamps but aren't quite so obvious?

Thanks for any help.

Tom C

packs 07-19-2013 03:55 PM

I hope you don't mind me barging into your thread but I have had similar questions in the past too. I've had this Mike Donlin photo for a while now and I can't tell if its signed or if the signature is in the photo. There's a definite inscription at the top to Bert Ennis but it's in a different color. The signature seems weak for it to be in the photo, but maybe it is. I've tilted it at all different angles and tried magnifying and I still can't tell. The photo has cropping differences which make it unique from the similar photos I've found on the internet. No idea what its story is.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps9d786366.jpg

Mr. Zipper 07-19-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1160286)
I hope you don't mind me barging into your thread but I have had similar questions in the past too. I've had this Mike Donlin photo for a while now and I can't tell if its signed or if the signature is in the photo. There's a definite inscription at the top to Bert Ennis but it's in a different color. The signature seems weak for it to be in the photo, but maybe it is. I've tilted it at all different angles and tried magnifying and I still can't tell. The photo has cropping differences which make it unique from the similar photos I've found on the internet. No idea what its story is.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps9d786366.jpg

It appears the end stroke of Donlin abruptly ends at the same point the image area of the photograph ends. :(

dapro 07-19-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1160297)
It appears the end stroke of Donlin abruptly ends at the same point the image area of the photograph ends. :(

I agree. Looks printed on.

7nohitter 07-19-2013 05:09 PM

My initial reaction is that the signature is printed on...as others have stated it ends at exactly the same point of the photo...

MooseDog 07-19-2013 05:34 PM

Looks like the "signed" photo is a 2nd generation of an original signed photo. The inscription added later.

prewarsports 07-19-2013 06:54 PM

If it helps, Donlin was known to use Green Ink on his signatures late in life. I had one from 1932 in green ink and have seen a few others. My guess is Donlin sent a photo with a stamped signature out to a fan and wrote the top inscription in his own hand.

Rhys

HRBAKER 07-19-2013 07:06 PM

JSA authenticated it but never actually saw/had the item?
They are good!

RichardSimon 07-20-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1160263)
I recently purchased a "Chicago Cubs Autograph Book" circa 1937. Really neat piece. 24 pages, each player has his own page. The book originally was said by the auction house (and JSA who never actually handled the piece which I still can't understand but whatever) to have 4 genuine autographs with the rest being stamped.

Here's my dilemma.

It seems to me that there are quite a few other actual signatures as well. There are quite a few that are obvious stamps, and then there are some that I am having trouble distinguishing. This is where I need some help.

What should I look for that will help me to distinguish the ones that may be stamps but aren't quite so obvious?

Thanks for any help.

Tom C

Tom,
I don't know if you have a jewelers loop but they are very helpful in distinguishing what is stamped and what is not.
Under the loop a "signature" that is stamped will have visible breaks and gaps throughout the signature. These are not visible to the naked eye but clearly visible under the loop.

RichardSimon 07-20-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1160369)
They are good!

Do I detect a note of sarcasm in this post? :):).

btcarfagno 07-20-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1160369)
They are good!

The whole concept of the auction LOA irks me to no end. In this instance, it screwed over the consignor and the auction house as just a cursory look shows at least 4 more genuine autographs.....something that anyone actually holding the book and not a photograph of the pages would be able to see.

Oh well. My gain I guess.

Tom C

btcarfagno 07-20-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1160491)
Tom,
I don't know if you have a jewelers loop but they are very helpful in distinguishing what is stamped and what is not.
Under the loop a "signature" that is stamped will have visible breaks and gaps throughout the signature. These are not visible to the naked eye but clearly visible under the loop.

Thanks Richard. I will definitely invest in one. The ones that I see that are obvious stamps have a kind of smudged look to them, and also have uniform pressure at the bottom and lighter pressure at the top.

The TPA said there are 4 genuine signatures (after just seeing pictures the auction house sent to them instead of actually holding the thing in hand). Yet when I flip through it, there are at least 10. Funny that.

Thanks again.

Tom C

JimStinson 07-22-2013 12:08 PM

JimStinson

I agree with Richard, also check for stress marks on verso, pen pressure will vary on a real signature usually at the beginning and/or end but won't on a stamped sig. Jewelers loop is helpful there too.
There is another handy gadget with a black light built in that has a loop for magnification , it fits in the palm of your hand and can be bought for around $75.00-$100.00, Maybe less , Sometimes the device can show you in a matter of a few seconds what you need to see and is also good at detecting if any modification has been done on a baseball or non-flat

JIM STINSON BUYING AUTOGRAPHS
stinsonsports.com