Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   JSA Came To Town (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246152)

slidekellyslide 10-14-2017 09:09 AM

JSA Came To Town

I submitted 8 items for full LOAs and 7 of the 8 passed. The only item that did not pass was a Mantle ball I got from a guy I know who told me he got it in person. I had no reason to doubt him as I was perusing his collection he was upfront about what he got in person and what he thought was sketchy. He had a DiMaggio that he told me a friend gave him and he wasn't sure it was legit so I passed on that. I did post the Mantle ball here when I got it a few years back and everyone here liked it. I got a Ted Williams ball from him the same day and it passed.

I took my 1914 Boston Braves photo album that was signed by most guys on the team including Evers and they passed all player sigs but could not verify the mascot Willie Connors aka "Johnny Boston Beans".

MrSeven 10-15-2017 09:30 AM

Care to post the Mantle here or link to the original thread? Somewhat curious. JSA is pretty good at passing Mantles.

A2000 10-15-2017 09:47 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad news, but would like to see a picture of the Mantle as well.

Leon 10-15-2017 10:05 AM

There is at least as 50/50 chance they are wrong and the board was right, from what I have seen in the past.

shelly 10-15-2017 11:03 AM

Post he ball and you will learn if its bad or good in five seconds:)

chaddurbin 10-15-2017 11:57 AM

not sure why jsa is still popular...at this point it's almost better to buy something raw then have the jsa opinion.

Mr. Zipper 10-15-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSeven (Post 1710505)
Care to post the Mantle here or link to the original thread? Somewhat curious. JSA is pretty good at passing Mantles.

Say what you will about the TPAs, but the big three are going to be about 99% accurate on Mantle, DiMaggio and Williams.

I'd like to see it as well. I'd be surprised if they failed a good one, unless it was a very atypical example.

slidekellyslide 10-15-2017 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is. He (Erik Santomauro) told me he thought it was written too slowly.

slidekellyslide 10-15-2017 09:40 PM

Here is a link to the original thread when I got these. Everyone who commented on the Mantle ball gave it a thumbs up. I recall getting PMs also giving it the thumbs up.

http://net54baseball.com/showthread....lidekellyslide

Republicaninmass 10-16-2017 04:55 AM

......riding on a pony

I subbed a pre-cert with a card, he called it macaroni!

Kco 10-16-2017 05:17 AM

I don’t love that Mantle either, it looks heavy handed and slowly drawn. Could it be good? Maybe, but I actually agree with their opinion on this one, unfortunately.

MrSeven 10-16-2017 07:13 AM

I wonder if the ink has something to do about it. That doesn't look like a typical ballpoint. Might be influencing how it looks like it was signed.

slidekellyslide 10-16-2017 08:15 AM

The guy I got them from told me he got them in person at the Minnesota State Fair where both Mantle and Williams were signing together. I really didn't disbelieve him because he was pointing out the autographs that he told me he thought were sketchy because he didn't get them in person.

Mr. Zipper 10-16-2017 08:24 AM

I can see why this was failed.

This is a good example of an item that looks good at arm's length because the "shape" is right. Closer up, it becomes apparent it has a labored look.

Kco 10-16-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1710734)
I can see why this was failed.

This is a good example of an item that looks good at arm's length because the "shape" is right. Closer up, it becomes apparent it has a labored look.

Exactly, this one is much closer than most, the fact that JSA failed it is definitely a plus to them for doing their job right honestly, because st a quick look it appears like it could be good.

Duluth Eskimo 10-16-2017 11:15 AM

Williams and Mantle never appeared together in Minnesota. Both did appear here at the State Fair grounds show and I was at both appearances getting many of each. I believe they were here maybe a year apart. Both for $20 each if I remember correctly. I mostly remember Williams signing a friends baseball then bouncing off the table back to him. Ahh, the good ole days.

slidekellyslide 10-16-2017 11:29 AM

Well it may have been a year apart, I don't know he just said he got them at the Minnesota state fair. I may have assumed they were at the same event.

Duluth Eskimo 10-16-2017 12:28 PM

Ok. Kind of strange. The form looks good, but the flow is terrible. I can see why they failed it. I have autos including balls signed from that event and he was signing as good as ever. I remember the promoter being worried he wasn't going to get his money out of it and trying to sell groups to dealers later in the signing. The beer was flowing for Mantle, but generally that was never a problem for him signing.

thetruthisoutthere 10-16-2017 06:36 PM

I was one of those who gave it the "Thumbs Up."

The original scan from the other thread is fuzzy and this one is very clear.

JSA did right in rejecting it.

slidekellyslide 10-16-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1710950)
I was one of those who gave it the "Thumbs Up."

The original scan from the other thread is fuzzy and this one is very clear.

JSA did right in rejecting it.

Heh..you guys cost me $75!

Okay, maybe it was my crappy camera that cost me $75. :D

shelly 10-17-2017 09:10 AM

Once again If you see a long straight line from the e to the y it is a Mariono

slidekellyslide 10-17-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1711083)

Is this one a Marino? You actually were one of the posters who gave this a thumbs up in 2014.

Sladge34 10-17-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1711083)

So 2 years ago that straight line wasn't there? I get it might have been fuzzy, but a straight line is a straight line. I got a little uneasy after seeing this post and the end result

thetruthisoutthere 10-17-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladge34 (Post 1711244)
So 2 years ago that straight line wasn't there? I get it might have been fuzzy, but a straight line is a straight line. I got a little uneasy after seeing this post and the end result

It's about the entire autograph.

I never look at one part of an autograph to determine whether it is authentic or not.

You have to look at it has a whole.

Sladge34 10-17-2017 09:09 PM

I understand that, I'm not an expert. Looks good at first glance to the average fan. I'm really only a buyer, I guess the only time you'll ever know for certain is if you get it in person. Just wish there wasn't such a high demand in forgeries.

Sladge34 10-17-2017 09:15 PM

The post before wasn't against anyone on here, I think what you guys do is great. It's an opinion at the that of the day, but greatly appreciated and pretty good at it.

Mr. Zipper 10-18-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1711207)
Is this one a Marino? You actually were one of the posters who gave this a thumbs up in 2014.

The ball that JSA failed is not a Marino. It's a more recent and more deceptive creation by someone else.

thetruthisoutthere 10-18-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1711373)
The ball that JSA failed is not a Marino. It's a more recent and more deceptive creation by someone else.

+1

slidekellyslide 11-02-2017 12:37 PM

Following up, I just got the certs in the mail a couple days ago and they included $75 in credit for the Mantle ball they did not pass. I thought that was pretty cool of them.