Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   I thought I knew baseball but-- (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237840)

cubman1941 04-04-2017 07:35 AM

I thought I knew baseball but--

I was looking at the box scores from yesterday's baseball games and am puzzled - I noted in the Milwaukee-Colorado game that the Milwaukee pitcher - Knebel was credited with a Blown Save even though he did not give up a hit, a walk or hit anyone. He pitched 2/3 on an inning with one strike t. Is it possible he allowed a run to score on a sac fly and the run was charged to the previous pitcher. The previous pitcher was charged with the loss and a Hold. This doesn't seem fair to get 2 outs with no hits, one strike out and 1 probably fly out and be charged with a Blown Save which seems to be the case.

clydepepper 04-04-2017 08:18 AM

Jim- He could also have been tagged with a blow save if a fielder made an error that resulted in the go-head run scoring while he was on the mound.

Sometimes, it seems like there are way too many different statistics, but they are created supposedly to create a more clear picture of what had occurred for anyone who wasn't in attendance.

Does that clear it up for you? LOL :eek:

packs 04-04-2017 08:33 AM

If they brought him in to close the game for the win and while he was on the mound the lead was blown, that would be a blown a save whether the run was charged to him or not.

cubman1941 04-04-2017 09:01 AM

clydepepper - apparently that is what happened from reading the write-up. It says the go ahead run scored on 2 Milwaukee defensive lapses. Yup, lots of stats now. Fortunately our paper is so small it doesn't print them but a friend used to send me a Baltimore paper that featured all kinds of stats. Someone probably got a big raise for coming up with all these stats.

packs - he was brought in during the 7th so not as a closer since closer barely can stay in for one inning these days. Thanks for the insight.

D. Bergin 04-04-2017 10:09 AM

Yup, just like Fielders can be responsible for a pitchers loss or a blown Perfect game, they can be responsible for a Blown Save.

clydepepper 04-04-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1647499)
Yup, just like Fielders can be responsible for a pitchers loss or a blown Perfect game, they can be responsible for a Blown Save.

Hey, you can't spell fu**-up without T-E-A-M!

Cliff Bowman 04-04-2017 10:31 PM

Knebel entered the game in the top of the seventh inning with a 5-4 lead, one out, and the bases loaded. The first batter he faced hit into a fielders choice which scored the tying run and caused him to be charged with a blown save. After that, with runners at first and third, the runner at first stole second and on the catchers throwing error the runner at third scored on the error. The two runs were charged to Marinez, the pitcher before Knebler, who was then charged with the loss.

cubman1941 04-05-2017 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1647736)
Knebel entered the game in the top of the seventh inning with a 5-4 lead, one out, and the bases loaded. The first batter he faced hit into a fielders choice which scored the tying run and caused him to be charged with a blown save. After that, with runners at first and third, the runner at first stole second and on the catchers throwing error the runner at third scored on the error. The two runs were charged to Marinez, the pitcher before Knebler, who was then charged with the loss.

Cliff,

Thanks. In reality Knebel did his job and got a blown save out of it.