Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Net 54 Hall of Fame?? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344932)

hcv123 01-11-2024 07:51 AM

Net 54 Hall of Fame??

With the passing of Ted Z a thought that came to mind was creating a Net 54 "Hall of Fame". This thought was shared in that thread by another board member as well.

I envision it as a place to recognize Net 54 members who have contributed in a large way to the site. The details could get figured out. perhaps a discussion here? A nominating committee? A separate place on the board? Kind words written by good friends/family? A limit to # of inductees?

I posted this as a poll to see how many like the idea. Feel free to share thoughts for or against it.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-11-2024 08:05 AM

This is just an internet message board.

There are too many Halls of Fame as it stands.

ullmandds 01-11-2024 08:14 AM

I vote ixnay on the hof. The world needs less labels/elitist titles. Would only cause disagreements imho.

Seven 01-11-2024 08:26 AM

Howard,

I'm certainly open to some sort of commemoration for prominent members that have contributed a lot to the forum. Maybe not a Hall of Fame per se, but a stickied thread full of important resources/threads/posts. In a way almost like a suggested reading material for the future members that join the forum.

Speaking on Ted, Specifically, maybe we can set up some sort of donation to a charity or memorial for him, assuming his family is comfortable with that. I know Dan was very close to Ted and is close to Teds' family, I would think he should be the person to ask, if he doesn't mind me saying.

Anyone can feel free to Agree/disagree.

- James

BobbyStrawberry 01-11-2024 08:32 AM

I voted no. Just imagine the bickering that would ensue! I find arguments about real, actual sports halls of fame tiresome enough.

Jewish-collector 01-11-2024 08:34 AM

Voted no also. Maybe just an acknowledgements/contributions at the Net54 dinner.

parkplace33 01-11-2024 08:45 AM

I voted yes, for members who contributed to this amazing group.

ullmandds 01-11-2024 08:48 AM

i would rather see a permanent thread on t206 named after ted...or some t206 resource on the site.

Like a "ted Talks!"

rhettyeakley 01-11-2024 08:53 AM

Call it a “Hall of Honor” to remember those that have left us and I am for it.

A place to honor/remember people like Ted, JimB, and many others that have contributions that go beyond the cards themselves.

jingram058 01-11-2024 09:08 AM

I'm not a t206 collector, but Ted's posts on that subject are truly something to behold. Maybe something to highlight noteworthy threads somewhere on the forum would suffice.

raulus 01-11-2024 09:38 AM

Pros: It will give us something new to argue about.

Cons: Some would argue that we have enough as it is.

Criteria would be an exciting element. Someone will need to develop a WAR calculator for posters. Longevity will need to be a factor. But we don't just want accumulators who are posting drivel just to artificially drive up their post counts. Peak years and iconic posts/threads should be a key element.

Maybe it's not as crazy as it sounds?

Leon 01-11-2024 09:56 AM

This hasn't been updated since I had hair on my head, so it's been there a long-time...7th icon from left to right, in the row of icons on each page, towards the top.
Some of Ted's threads are there but just haven't been updated in 13? yrs....

https://www.net54baseball.com/forum/...ivecenter.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2403888)
Pros: It will give us something new to argue about.

Cons: Some would argue that we have enough as it is.

Criteria would be an exciting element. Someone will need to develop a WAR calculator for posters. Longevity will need to be a factor. But we don't just want accumulators who are posting drivel just to artificially drive up their post counts. Peak years and iconic posts/threads should be a key element.

Maybe it's not as crazy as it sounds?

drcy 01-11-2024 10:16 AM

PED testing would be required. The rumor is Ted used coffee to post after 8 pm.

Mark17 01-11-2024 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2403902)
PED testing would be required. The rumor is Ted used coffee to post after 8 pm.

Would buying cards, hoping (betting) they'll go up in value, be considered gambling on baseball cards?

A Rose by any other name...

Section103 01-11-2024 11:41 AM

I already refer to this board to my wife as "the dick swinging board". I can only imagine the implications if a HoF were created.

dbrown 01-11-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2403875)
I voted yes, for members who contributed to this amazing group.

I'll put a vote in for Archive.

Leon 01-11-2024 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbrown (Post 2403939)

Just don't sue him!

brianp-beme 01-11-2024 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2403949)
Just don't sue him!

I believe Archive is already in the process of suing himself.

Brian

bigfish 01-11-2024 01:54 PM

Hahahahah

Quote:

Originally Posted by Section103 (Post 2403918)
I already refer to this board to my wife as "the dick swinging board". I can only imagine the implications if a HoF were created.

Hahaha

JollyElm 01-11-2024 02:39 PM

Of course, we'd need to invent some type of newfangled advanced statistic to use as the only measuring stick to gauge whether or not a member belongs in 'The Hall.'

Perhaps KAR ("Knowledge Above Replacement")? Beep beep!!

jsfriedm 01-11-2024 02:54 PM

Oh God. The sports card YouTube influencer-types also talked about creating their own "Hall of Fame." It's like a disease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8beQvyH0744

icurnmedic 01-11-2024 03:02 PM

No, I feel very distasteful and the metrics used to decide would ultimately be most subjective I feel. It's a great board as it stands with many good contributors and should be left at that, IMHO.

Peter_Spaeth 01-11-2024 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icurnmedic (Post 2403979)
No, I feel very distasteful and the metrics used to decide would ultimately be most subjective I feel. It's a great board as it stands with many good contributors and should be left at that, IMHO.

This.

hcv123 01-11-2024 03:18 PM

Metrics?

What I envisioned would by definition be very subjective. It would not be about "metrics", number of posts, size of your collection, value of your collection - none of that would matter.

What Darren wrote is more what I had in mind. How much has a member contributed through this board to the knowledge base in the hobby. Assisted other collectors, etc.

Someone would get selected as the committee/Leon/some other selector process saw fit, could be on an irregular basis as someone was found who merited it.

To me the way Ted unselfishly shared so much information and research defines what I am thinking about qualification.

Eric72 01-11-2024 03:22 PM

I think it's an honorable idea.

However, I think petty arguments and other nonsense could turn it into a mess.

So, if we can all get along peacefully and discuss things like rational, sensible, mature adults, it would work.

I voted "no."

campyfan39 01-11-2024 03:28 PM

Kinda like a wanker measuring contest.... but subjective. Not sure the purpose

doug.goodman 01-11-2024 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbrown (Post 2403939)

You beat me to that one, and of course that would mean multiple spots for the Bruces

Casey2296 01-11-2024 04:15 PM

I voted no on the HOF but having an archive of seminal works from members like Teds T206 threads, or Rhetts Zeenut posts for example would be a huge plus. Currently one has to google search by subject and add Net54 to the end to find posts like that.

There is so much valuable information here that members have contributed to over the years that it would be a shame to lose. We could take it one step further and ask many of these long time members to contribute their knowledge where they can. For example, I would love to see Tbobs theory on Orange E94s and other aspects of the set.

Think of it not as a HOF but a Hall of Archives. More like the Imperial Library of Constantinople.

maniac_73 01-11-2024 04:24 PM

I've started calling T206 the Ted206

jingram058 01-11-2024 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2403993)
I voted no on the HOF but having an archive of seminal works from members like Teds T206 threads, or Rhetts Zeenut posts for example would be a huge plus. Currently one has to google search by subject and add Net54 to the end to find posts like that.

There is so much valuable information here that members have contributed to over the years that it would be a shame to lose. We could take it one step further and ask many of these long time members to contribute their knowledge where they can. For example, I would love to see Tbobs theory on Orange E94s and other aspects of the set.

Think of it not as a HOF but a Hall of Archives. More like the Imperial Library of Constantinople.

^^^ THIS ^^^ +1 on what Phil said.

FromVAtoLA 01-11-2024 05:07 PM

I'm brand new here but I'm active on some other forums and even moderate one. I'm not sure I'm familiar with another forum that has something akin to a hall of fame. There are some forums that tag users with an icon, badge, title or something based on how often they've posted, their length of membership, or some other milestone. This site highlights how many posts each user has made. I'm not sure you need more than that.

Some forums have a way of pinning/archiving/profiling the most insightful or highest profile threads. That may be something to consider instead (and I noticed Leon linked to where that information resides on this site). For a forum like this, where a ton of knowledge has been posted over the years, I think that would be more valuable to profile. (That's why I'm here.) For instance, someone recently replied to a great T206 thread that Ted Z started. That bumped it to the top of the forum feed. That was a fantastic thread and should be archived/easily accessible (because, if you are new like me, and just search for T206 you get 11 pages of search results). Once enough threads are archived/profiled it will be obvious who the hall of famers are.

Anyway, I'm just a brand new member that's here to suck up knowledge from all of y'all but that's my two cents (sometimes worth less and sometimes worthless).

jingram058 01-11-2024 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2403994)
I've started calling T206 the Ted206

That's awesome!

robw1959 01-11-2024 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromVAtoLA (Post 2403998)
I'm brand new here but I'm active on some other forums and even moderate one. I'm not sure I'm familiar with another forum that has something akin to a hall of fame. There are some forums that tag users with an icon, badge, title or something based on how often they've posted, their length of membership, or some other milestone. This site highlights how many posts each user has made. I'm not sure you need more than that.

Some forums have a way of pinning/archiving/profiling the most insightful or highest profile threads. That may be something to consider instead (and I noticed Leon linked to where that information resides on this site). For a forum like this, where a ton of knowledge has been posted over the years, I think that would be more valuable to profile. (That's why I'm here.) For instance, someone recently replied to a great T206 thread that Ted Z started. That bumped it to the top of the forum feed. That was a fantastic thread and should be archived/easily accessible (because, if you are new like me, and just search for T206 you get 11 pages of search results). Once enough threads are archived/profiled it will be obvious who the hall of famers are.

Anyway, I'm just a brand new member that's here to suck up knowledge from all of y'all but that's my two cents (sometimes worth less and sometimes worthless).

This is a good perspective, and it conveys the essence of what I think about it as well.

Casey2296 01-11-2024 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
-
No cards posted on this thread yet...

Here's one for Ted.
-

rhettyeakley 01-11-2024 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2404031)
-
No cards posted on this thread yet...

Here's one for Ted.
-

Nice 1948 Leaf! 🤣

(Ted would have hated that joke!)

mrreality68 01-12-2024 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2403873)
Voted no also. Maybe just an acknowledgements/contributions at the Net54 dinner.

I agree a place of acknowledgement

My biggest concern is it would cause friction. Why is this person in and not someone else

How would people feel who thought they should be recognized and yet are not.

I sadly think it could cause animosity and negative threads. I like to keep it positive

Chuck9788 01-12-2024 07:15 AM

Haha, it makes me wonder just how far away am I from the Net54baseball.com Hall of Fame? I'm still playing Single A ball compared to some of the heavy hitters on this forum.

FrankWakefield 01-12-2024 08:12 AM

I voted NO yesterday morning, but I've kept silent (difficult for me).

I knew Ted. Ted would have voted NO.

Leon 01-12-2024 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2404104)
I voted NO yesterday morning, but I've kept silent (difficult for me).

I knew Ted. Ted would have voted NO.

I haven't voted but agree.

That said, if there ever is a Net54baseball HOF, he will be a first HOF class inductee. I don't think anyone else has contributed more to the forum than Ted did. I will make sure those threads in the Archive section, at least of his, get updated.

And whomever mentioned, Jim Blumenthal, I agree also. He too would be right up there, though he didn't post nearly as much as Teddy. He was a great collector and really a super human being. Reading older threads, I still see his posts and it always brings back fond memories. Much the same way it will be with Teddy's posts.

Seven 01-12-2024 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2404115)

That said, if there ever is a Net54baseball HOF, he will be a first HOF class inductee. I don't think anyone else has contributed more to the forum than Ted did. I will make sure those threads in the Archive section, at least of his, get updated.

And whomever mentioned, Jim Blumenthal, I agree also. He too would be right up there, though he didn't post nearly as much as Teddy. He was a great collector and really a super human being. Reading older threads, I still see his posts and it always brings back fond memories. Much the same way it will be with Teddy's posts.

Leon,

I think the Archive idea is the best solution to this. At the end of the day it works as a way to preserve wonderful knowledge and act as sort of a time capsule to the past. It's also a pleasant way to commemorate Teds contributions.

bbsports 01-12-2024 09:30 AM

As much as I like Teddy Z, and I probably be the first one to vote for him, it would not be a good idea. Some people would be slighted that deserve to get in, and could possibly become too political.

Mark17 01-12-2024 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2404090)
I agree a place of acknowledgement

My biggest concern is it would cause friction. Why is this person in and not someone else

How would people feel who thought they should be recognized and yet are not.

I sadly think it could cause animosity and negative threads. I like to keep it positive

I agree. At one point in time, had the powers that be done this, guys like Rosen and Mastro probably would've been in, since they were such big, influential personalities. Imagine the bad feelings that would've created.

We know who the good guys are, and they are very appreciated. They know who they are, too.

steve B 01-12-2024 11:49 AM

I'm not sure it would work for an online board.

The shriners show at one time had an award named after a hobby pioneer, I don't know what the criteria was, but it was sort of similar. Not sure if they even do it anymore.

The major stamp collecting group I'm in has a "roll of distinguished philatelists" thing that's pretty cool. An actual large scroll they have the people honored sign. To do that you need a very long time contributing to the hobby.(Like 40 years, or a handful of huge contributions over a shorter time. )
I saw a list of who was on it, and I had heard of nearly all of them. And didn't see any I'd have disagreed with.

Runscott 03-19-2024 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2404115)

I was just thinking about Jim today. I met him only once, just before he passed away (ten years ago this coming October). He said very little but asked me how I was feeling, expressed some compassion and wrote me a note in Sanskrit, which I still have today. If you ever met Jim, I suspect you never forgot him.

Anyway, I was thinking about him because, while looking for a book in my bookcase, I came across 'The Ornament of the Middle Way' (which he wrote) - I picked it up when I was studying Buddhism six or so years back.

Wonderful guy, and a great contributor, especially when it came to caramel cards.

JimC 03-19-2024 02:43 PM

I nominate Spaeth!

Runscott 03-19-2024 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2404149)
I'm not sure it would work for an online board.

The shriners show at one time had an award named after a hobby pioneer, I don't know what the criteria was, but it was sort of similar. Not sure if they even do it anymore.

The major stamp collecting group I'm in has a "roll of distinguished philatelists" thing that's pretty cool. An actual large scroll they have the people honored sign. To do that you need a very long time contributing to the hobby.(Like 40 years, or a handful of huge contributions over a shorter time. )
I saw a list of who was on it, and I had heard of nearly all of them. And didn't see any I'd have disagreed with.

Hi Steve - man, I miss you guys. I wish I could still afford this hobby :)

Exhibitman 03-19-2024 04:04 PM

We don't need more 'participation trophies. This is a board of equals all devoted to collecting. I'd say leave it at that.

The Brucii once proposed something similar so he could give himself an award. I feel the same about it now as I did then, when I suggested a name for the award, like an Oscar:

How about "The Celibates"? The trophy could be topped with a mirror so all the winners can see is their own reflected glory...

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...life%20gif.gif

William Shatner: You know, before I answer any more questions there's something I wanted to say. Having received all your letters over the years, and I've spoken to many of you, and some of you have traveled... y'know... hundreds of miles to be here, I'd just like to say... GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just baseball cards! I mean, look at you, look at the way you're dressed! You've turned an enjoyable little hobby into a COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME!

[ a crowd of shocked and dismayed Bruces.... ]

I mean, how old are you people? What have you done with yourselves?

[ to "Bruces" ] You, you must be almost 60... have you ever kissed a girl?

[ "Bruces" hangs his head ]

I didn't think so! There's a whole world out there! When I was your age, I didn't collect cards and do nothing else, I LIVED! So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!

Rhotchkiss 03-19-2024 04:28 PM

Maybe a Hall of Shame…. I can think of several (mostly x members) who would be first ballot shoo-ins.

Runscott 03-19-2024 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2420794)
We don't need more 'participation trophies. This is a board of equals all devoted to collecting. I'd say leave it at that.

The Brucii once proposed something similar so he could give himself an award. I feel the same about it now as I did then, when I suggested a name for the award, like an Oscar:

How about "The Celibates"? The trophy could be topped with a mirror so all the winners can see is their own reflected glory...

But the concept is very nostalgic - you must remember back in the early days of the internet when every discussion forum had a thread every 6-9 months "Who is your favorite forum member?"

You would have made my favorites list, but disparaging the dead loses you a point or two :p

Leon 03-19-2024 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 2420804)
But the concept is very nostalgic - you must remember back in the early days of the internet when every discussion forum had a thread every 6-9 months "Who is your favorite forum member?"

You would have made my favorites list, but disparaging the dead loses you a point or two :p

Nice to see you here again, Scott. Hope all is well your way.