Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2010 World Cup Draws (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118342)

canjond 12-04-2009 03:22 PM

2010 World Cup Draws

Not sure if there are any soccer (football) fans on the board but what are you thoughts on the draws? I thought US had a good draw...

David W 12-05-2009 06:22 PM

Well,

They should be able to advance, but you never know. They say Slovenia is a physical defensive minded team, so if they somehow score a goal early, they'll just pack it in and play to win 1-0.

Algeria is playing in their home continent, that could be motivation, and the English should win the round, and score more goals than anyone.

So the U.S. can't get beat bad by England (3-0 bad) and then go 1 and a draw, or they'll have a chance to lose the tiebreaker.

I think they advance, but I'm not overly confident.

thescooper 12-11-2009 09:52 PM

world cup

being English I think we got a good draw, The US is a good team and should follow us through.
In the FIFA rankings the US is 14th, so there is no doubt about them being a threat, I would love to see England win it but all the money is on Spain.

Sixtofan 12-13-2009 08:14 AM

Cup Draw

A good draw for the US. Certainly England is a better team but I would much rather play them than most of the other "seeded" teams. The other two games are winnable but nothing is ever a given in the cup is it.

thescooper 12-14-2009 09:19 PM

Chesea of the EPL has 18 players in the world cup!!!!!!

abrahamrudy 12-15-2009 09:37 PM

Being American, I say we got a good draw too. The only tough team is England, but we should handle them with no problem ;-)

All kidding aside, if we can draw England in group play, we have a really nice opportunity to make it to the later rounds. The question is really how healthy our side will be come June. It'll be tough to win without Onyewu back on defense.

thescooper 12-16-2009 07:33 AM

Is there any US players in the EPL?

abrahamrudy 12-16-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescooper (Post 768195)
Is there any US players in the EPL?

Yes, a bunch, including Guzan and Howard the keepers (Villa and Everton, respectively), Altidore (Hull City), and Spector (West Ham). We also have a bunch of players in other European elite leagues, although a large pecentage of our players play in America, which is a disadvantage because the level of skill in MLS soccer is really not up to par with the rest of the world, to say the least.

David W 12-16-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abrahamrudy (Post 768147)
Being American, I say we got a good draw too. The only tough team is England, but we should handle them with no problem ;-)

All kidding aside, if we can draw England in group play, we have a really nice opportunity to make it to the later rounds. The question is really how healthy our side will be come June. It'll be tough to win without Onyewu back on defense.

All I can say about Onyewu is that I saw him come in as a sub in his first AC Milan game, and he was completely overmatched, and gave up a goal. He really doesn't even play much for them.

I'm not convinced he's that good. Maybe he's improved since, I hope so. Now with the injury he's got AC Milan all stirred up as well.