Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cooperstown report and BB card acquisitions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=126165)

tedzan 07-30-2010 08:17 PM

Cooperstown

I just got in and read your guesses here. Some great names, but so far, none are the correct answer.

Frank Wakefield's post is interesting, in that I agree with his Dad, that this ballplayer deserves to be in the HOF.

TED Z

FrankWakefield 07-30-2010 08:34 PM

Bob is right... this guy isn't The Guy...
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...sThrills-1.jpg

That catch was in the bottom of the 6th inning of game 6 of the 1947 World Series. He'd just come into the game. He caught that ball DiMaggio hit in the bottom of the 6th, he grounded out to lead off in the top of the 7th, he fielded a Yankee single to left in the bottom of the 9th, he watched game 7 from the bench, and he was finished with the major leagues. This catch was the last thing of significance he did while in the majors. Not many options out there if you're wanting a Gionfriddo card.

But Al G isn't the guy... and he was in left field.

tedzan 07-30-2010 08:53 PM

Gionfriddo's catch in the 1947 World Series was in Left-Centerfield of Yankee Stadium in front of the visiting team's bullpen.

The player I'm looking for caught DiMaggio's long drive in "death valley", beyond the monuments in Centerfield.

Here's a hint......it was in an W.S. that pre-dates Gionfriddo's catch.

TED Z

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 08:59 PM

Terry Moore was a fast centerfielder for St. Louis who must have still been playing when they met in the WS, but he can't possibly be a HOF contender? But I am thinking since Frank is from that part of the country maybe that is the answer?

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2010 09:16 PM

If it is Terry Moore

For what it's worth, from Baseball Reference. I just can't see a plausible case for the HOF even if statistics don't tell the full story. And I know, he missed three years for the war.

Gray Ink Batting - 39 (627), Average HOFer ≈ 144

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 18 (837), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 12 (1364), Average HOFer ≈ 50

Similar Batters

Mike Kreevich (944)
Mule Haas (937)
Juan Beniquez (933)
Darryl Hamilton (931)
Cleon Jones (930)
Terry Puhl (930)
Alex Johnson (929)
Ethan Allen (929)
Brian McRae (929)
Lenny Dykstra (928)

White Borders 07-30-2010 09:29 PM

Another Guess - Carl Furillo? Not sure when he started playing or if he was fast, or even if he was in center field.

ElCabron 07-31-2010 12:04 AM

Wally Berger would have been my guess, too. I'm very skeptical that such a feat ever happened, however.

-Ryan

tedzan 07-31-2010 06:08 AM

Peter S....is the Trivia King

TERRY MOORE was a speedy centerfielder for St. Louis Cardinals (1935-48). A tremendous defensive player at his position,
he was a key player during the years of the "Gasehouse Gang's" success.

Three years of his career were interrupted by his service in WWII (1943-45).

Should he be in the HOF....you tell me ?

Terry Moore......BA = .280 ....... Fldg % = .985

Bill Mazeroski.....BA = .260 ....... Fldg % = .983

As a kid, I saw Terry play (1947-48). It was the end of his career; and he was still making some tremendous catches.

Thanks everyone,

TED Z

FrankWakefield 07-31-2010 07:42 AM

Great trivia, Ted. Thanks.

I didn't say Moore should be in the Hall; I said my Dad saw him play and thought him worthy of consideration. The guy could cover some ground out there, only 19 outfielders rank above him all time in range factor... considering that a team has 3 outfielders out there but only 1 at the other positions, that puts him at the apex of outfielders. He's an All Star for 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, and then he's serving in the military for 3 years; and he's getting MVP votes those four all star years when there's some serious ballplayers for which to vote. Stan Musial's on a team where Moore's the captain, a team that dominated baseball while Moore was in his prime. I didn't see him play, most of us didn't. Those that did that I've talked to thought pretty highly of him, fans and players. And I think he was a better ballplayer than a few of those in the Hall. I'm not advocating his induction, but anyone who thinks Moore to have been an average ballplayer is underestimating him, I think.

Peter_Spaeth 07-31-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 826296)
TERRY MOORE was a speedy centerfielder for St. Louis Cardinals (1935-48). A tremendous defensive player at his position,
he was a key player during the years of the "Gasehouse Gang's" success.

Three years of his career were interrupted by his service in WWII (1943-45).

Should he be in the HOF....you tell me ?

Terry Moore......BA = .280 ....... Fldg % = .985

Bill Mazeroski.....BA = .260 ....... Fldg % = .983

As a kid, I saw Terry play (1947-48). It was the end of his career; and he was still making some tremendous catches.

Thanks everyone,

TED Z

Ted I think this just proves Mazeroski should not be. Although at least he had some good longevity stats etc. And I just don't see how you credit guys for years they did not play, unfortunate though the interruption for the service might be in terms of their careers. Also not sure you can just compare fielding percentages for different positions.