Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How to ship an expensive item through USPS (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213881)

Eric72 11-09-2015 04:59 PM

How to ship an expensive item through USPS

Hi, everyone.

I anticipate selling an item on eBay in the near future that is worth around $1,000. The actual year and product are immaterial to the discussion; however, it is a factory sealed box of cards from the 1990's. The item measures approximately 7"x6"x4" and I plan to securely package it in an (obviously) larger box.

To make a long story short, from my perspective, there won't be anything going on that a legitimate buyer would be concerned about. I know what the item is worth and I am ready to sell.

My question is this:

How can I protect myself against fraudulent "buyers" (read, scammers looking for free stuff) when using the USPS to ship?

I plan to only accept PayPal for payment; however, understand that claims can be made which trigger chargebacks. eBay is currently notorious for siding with buyers in an almost blanket fashion. Additionally, the divergence of those two segments into separate companies might also change the game.

Is there a, "signature required" method of shipping that allows an eBay seller to safely ship items with no fear of reprisal? I am just looking for an f.o.b. shipping point method of sending this item that does not allow people to make false claims regarding receipt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Eric

rjackson44 11-09-2015 06:38 PM

just be carefull to many scams

digdugdig 11-09-2015 08:32 PM

I believe anything insured for $200 or more automatically requires a signature upon delivery.

vthobby 11-09-2015 09:32 PM

Delivery options......

Eric,

The absolute safest way (for me anyways) is to send the item "restricted delivery".

Definition:
Restricted Delivery confirms that only a specified person, or authorized agent, will receive a piece of mail. This service is available only if you also purchase Certified Mail, Insured Mail (over $500), COD, Adult Signature, Signature Confirmation, or Registered Mail.

This absolutely insures that the person you are shipping to is the one who is signing for it.

It is rarely used and little known but I use it for anything over $2000 or so and in your case being a first time shipper of a high dollar item, this is the perfect solution.

You will have no issues, thanks and good luck with the sale.

Peace, Mike

PS I find it always best to inform the recipient that he or she HAS to sign for it as it alleviates any confusion and they know it is on the way!

Mikehealer 11-09-2015 10:23 PM

Registered Mail.

TAVG 11-10-2015 12:00 PM

also you can block people on eBay from bidding who have strikes against them.

just make sure the person that buys it doesn't seem sketchy...look at their auctions/buying history and see what people say about them.

Eric72 11-10-2015 08:11 PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of your replies. I truly appreciate the insight.

Please keep the comments coming.

Best regards,

Eric