Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   $125,000,000 Sports Immortals Collection (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292959)

baseball tourist 12-06-2020 09:39 AM

$125,000,000 Sports Immortals Collection

Perhaps I am not the only one who hadn’t heard about this man’s amazing collection of sports memorabilia?

https://www.one37pm.com/strength/spo...lia-collection

Republicaninmass 12-06-2020 11:32 AM

Wow

ooo-ribay 12-06-2020 11:55 AM

Joel was featured on some TV show I saw years ago. Perhaps "The Incurable Collector"?

Scott Garner 12-06-2020 01:20 PM

Incredible!

Jcosta19 12-06-2020 01:42 PM

Visited his place couple years ago when visiting my parents in Florida. Only a small portion is on display but still great to look at and hear about his collection.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

hcv123 12-06-2020 08:17 PM

Was it just me?

or did the "article" sound as much like an advertisement for "collectable" fractional ownership as it did about the Platt collection. History also sounds A LOT like Barry Halper. Incredible stuff!!

todeen 12-07-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2042615)
Joel was featured on some TV show I saw years ago. Perhaps "The Incurable Collector"?

I think I saw the same show, but I couldn't tell you where or when.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mr2686 12-07-2020 05:16 AM

Youtube has a couple of interview segments on him and his collecting. Just search under Joel Platt. Pretty darn impressive.

D. Bergin 12-07-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2042764)
History also sounds A LOT like Barry Halper. Incredible stuff!!

I was getting that same vibe also. Maybe he was more discriminating then Halper about the stories he accepted, and I'm sure most of what he has is good, but I wonder in collections like these, how many of these too good to be true memorabilia items are just that. Accepted stories passed down 2nd, 3rd, and 4th hand.

Either way, Impressive as hell. I'm pretty sure I've heard of this guy before, as it looks like he's dabbled in boxing for a bit. I think there was even a major auction of graded boxing cards years ago that was identified on the flips as being from "The Platt Collection", if my memory serves me correctly.

tazdmb 12-07-2020 10:44 AM

I like this one:

featuring a ball signed in 1939 by the first class inducted in the Baseball Hall of fame, including Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson Honus Wagner.

Pretty sure Christy wasn't there in 1939.

Mark 12-07-2020 11:23 AM

It's an astonishing collection. Hats off to him. What has me wondering is exactly what a young Joel Platt or a young Barry Halper said to the families of sports legends to persuade the families to give them some of these items.

"Hello, Mrs. Wagner, you don't know me, but I'm a teenage collector of sports memorabilia, and even though I'm too young to have seen your late husband play, I would really, really, love for you to give me some of his game used equipment, trophies, and uniforms. " "Sure thing, young man, here are some of family heirlooms. Can I help you get them into your car? Or would you prefer to take our car?"

Huysmans 12-07-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2042928)
It's an astonishing collection. Hats off to him. What has me wondering is exactly what a young Joel Platt or a young Barry Halper said to the families of sports legends to persuade the families to give them some of these items.

"Hello, Mrs. Wagner, you don't know me, but I'm a teenage collector of sports memorabilia, and even though I'm too young to have seen your late husband play, I would really, really, love for you to give me some of his game used equipment, trophies, and uniforms. " "Sure thing, young man, here are some of family heirlooms. Can I help you get them into your car? Or would you prefer to take our car?"

You have to remove your modern collecting ideology. Keep in mind that in the 1950s and 1960s other than cards, there was no built-in hobby for memorabilia like in the present day - especially game worn/used items. There are numerous examples throughout the years of jerseys worn by very famous players being recycled to farm clubs and minor league teams. These were utilitarian items... not collectibles. The overwhelming majority of people put very little to no monetary value on these pieces, including the families of ex-players. Sure, items were kept for posterity or as souvenirs, but the thinking that these items had market value didn't exist to most, hence, they were easy to give away, with most families probably just thankful that someone took an interest in their relative.

A further footnote may relate to the general custom in the past of gifting items by the players themselves, something somewhat lost in today's heavily-monetized era.
Case in point, imagine an athlete trying to charge for autographs during the 1950s.... now imagine athletes NOT charging for autographs today....

it's a completely different hobby now.

Mark 12-07-2020 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 2042949)
You have to remove your modern collecting ideology. Keep in mind that in the 1950s and 1960s other than cards, there was no built-in hobby for memorabilia like in the present day - especially game worn/used items. There are numerous examples throughout the years of jerseys worn by very famous players being recycled to farm clubs and minor league teams. These were utilitarian items... not collectibles. The overwhelming majority of people put very little to no monetary value on these pieces, including the families of ex-players. Sure, items were kept for posterity or as souvenirs, but the thinking that these items had market value didn't exist to most, hence, they were easy to give away, with most families probably just thankful that someone took an interest in their relative.

A further footnote may relate to the general custom in the past of gifting items by the players themselves, something somewhat lost in today's heavily-monetized era.
Case in point, imagine an athlete trying to charge for autographs during the 1950s.... now imagine athletes NOT charging for autographs today....

I wasn't assuming that these things had monetary value. Sentimental value to the family? yes.

perezfan 12-07-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 2042949)

Great perspective, right there... Even though it was not all that long ago, it was a more innocent, trusting and completely different world back then.

todeen 12-07-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2042952)
I wasn't assuming that these things had monetary value. Sentimental value to the family? yes.

Think about all the players today, in their 70s and 80s who realize they have a mountain of stuff and need to get rid of it. Johnny Bench being one of the latest examples. At some point they all come to the realization it has to go. Go back 70 years, older players have a mountain of stuff with little value, they need to downsize, and someone asks for something. It fills the need of the family.

My grandma moved out of her house when she was in her 90s a couple years ago. She needed to get rid of everything essentially. Objects might have intrinsic value to her, but not necessarily her kids or grandchildren. No one wanted her pool table. No one wanted her 120+ year old pump organ. Lots of anniversary gifts went unclaimed. They were silver plated rather than solid silver, so they weren't really valuable either. Photos were hard to give away, especially if there was no comment about people, time, or place. It's just the way it goes.

Huysmans 12-07-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2042952)

Items from past players are routinely sold currently at auction day, after day, after day...
why is there no sentimentality with these items for the families?

The historical bottom line....

No hobby with little monetary value... gifted.
Huge hobby with considerable value... sold, NOT gifted.

Mark 12-07-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2042959)
Think about all the players today, in their 70s and 80s who realize they have a mountain of stuff and need to get rid of it. Johnny Bench being one of the latest examples. At some point they all come to the realization it has to go. Go back 70 years, older players have a mountain of stuff with little value, they need to downsize, and someone asks for something. It fills the need of the family.

My grandma moved out of her house when she was in her 90s a couple years ago. She needed to get rid of everything essentially. Objects might have intrinsic value to her, but not necessarily her kids or grandchildren. No one wanted her pool table. No one wanted her 120+ year old pump organ. Lots of anniversary gifts went unclaimed. They were silver plated rather than solid silver, so they weren't really valuable either. Photos were hard to give away, especially if there was no comment about people, time, or place. It's just the way it goes.

That might be the way some think about it. Bench says that he auctioned his vast collection because selling it would provide for his family. The monetary value was very clear to him.

But if it's 1967, and your late husband or father kept a few bats or a trophy, I would think that you'd want to keep what he valued or that you'd want to pass these things along to a family member. Maybe give these things to an old friend of the deceased. If we're talking about large pieces of furniture that belonged to people who are not famous (was your grandmother famous?), or if aging widows are moving into small apartments, OK. I get that. But it seems odd to me that a family would easily give away things to a young stranger that a great athlete thought it worthy to keep. But it is certainly true that the monetary value of these things has changed the situation.